woodman

Are you happy with your lot
« on: August 25, 2004, 06:46:33 pm »
As a follow on to Steves post it got me thinking about what being in this business is all about.

I can honestly say that this business has allowed me the freedom to live my life my way (most of the times)

My son started playing football at seven and is now eighteen I have never missed a single one of his matches be it for the school,county or club.I have always managed to book around matches and if short notice re-arranged them.

I have attended all school plays,sports days etc  for both my daughter and son and infact it was me that usualy took them to school in the mornings before my first call.

It has allowed me to work around their activities rather than the other way around and infact when I talk to friends and family and what they have missed out on I feel sorry for them.You can't get that time back again. :(

Sure I could have earned more money and have lost the odd job because of it but so what I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Theres been lean,mean and tough times but not for one moment have I thought about going back to work for the man.I have just got my head down and got through it and if it happens again so be it.It's part of lifes learning curve and to date has given me a reasonable living.The next big test is coming up and I am excited about it as once again I take a gamble and make a change in direction business wise, . ;)Well it keeps you on your toes doesn't it ;D

Can't think of hand of any other job I'd rather do and I have been offered a few over the years but who knows something might come out of the blue thats suitable and I'll take it but for now I'm happy with my little lot. ;)

Dynafoam

Re: Are you happy with your lot
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 06:58:32 pm »
Woodman,

I think that most of us who have been in the business for a number of years would answer along similar lines.

My problem with attending non-business events has always been the fact that I maintain an average 6-week waiting list, with some bookings up to 12 months in advance. consequently I do need some notice to be able to take a day off.

Ed Valentine

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 07:04:21 pm »
Great post, Woodman. And, very well stated.

Good Fortune to Independence;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

woodman

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 07:05:18 pm »
Yes, I can see how such a long waiting time could cause a few head aches  John,

Fortunately (or should I say unfortunately) I have never been booked so far ahead ;D

I have always managed to work around jobs when need be even in emergencies, sometimes calling on fellow cleaners to help out when I just can't make it ;)

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 12:30:41 am »
Well put Woodman and good luck with newest  (ad)venture :D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 09:16:34 am »
I would be terrified if I was booked six weeks in advance.

True you have security of income  but you loose flexiability and the job starts to govern you.

Sometimes I have to remind my family that I do need to work.

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 02:55:08 pm »
Ian,

You are correct in that to be fully booked too far in advance has its' drawbacks.

One week would suit me fine - you can only do one days' work per day anyway.

What has helped this year is the changing pattern of holiday booking. In the past many families booked their summer holidays soon after Christmas. What I find now is that many shop around for last-minute bargains and take their holidays at short notice.

Resultantly, I have several calls per month asking if they can postpone their booking. this is fine by me as it either gives me an opportunity to 'slip someone in' to one of these gaps or to do one of the  commercial jobs where the customer leaves the scheduling to me (no appointment made).

John.