cybersye

question about van mounted filtering
« on: June 09, 2006, 05:09:29 pm »
I have a problem with the way i produce my filtered water at the moment (its at a friends house, i live in a flat and can rarely park my van close by) . I have a 250 ltr tank pre filtered on board.
Question:
Is there any way of filling tank with tap water and then filtering it onboard with my merlin ro and di vessel at point of use?
this way I could fill tank in minutes and worry about filtering as its used. I'm thinking its not possible but someone on here may know better.
thanks
Simon

sair

Re: question about van mounted filtering
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 05:20:04 pm »
yes i manufacture a boostered  r/o di system that will make on average 3-4 litres a minute
if this picture doesnt post then e mail me and i can forward on its a fitted system 350 litre with one pole speed lined with choice of colour  and 100 m micro bore and its a fully split charged system   £2500.00 plus vat    purewatersales@tiscali.co.uk
Essentially Pure Ltd

cybersye

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:44:03 pm »
thankyou Tony
I'm not wishing to sound ungrateful but thats out of my price range, i already have a system its just the filtering thats a problem, ie: its at somebody elses house and I feel like I dont have full control / hate having to rely on others.
The pic worked and looks interesting though.
I'd be very grateful if you'd shed light on how I could achieve the same with what I have already ( though I realise you've a business interest) It would seem I need a booster pump from tank to ro and then di and then my shurflo pump to hose reel, am I correct?
thanks
Simon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 06:03:06 pm »
Hi Simon.

Ive been working my remaining brain-cell on overtime over your question :)

I honestly cant see you being able to do this practically. I do undertand where you are coming from and wish I had a good answer for you. The merlin is great for "topping up" if you need to from a tap. But.. if you start with 250 ltrs firstly a whole lot of it will go to waste and even at peak performance  IE.. using a booster pump you will struggle to get a decent flow to your pump.

Maybe someone else can suggest a solution for you using the Merlin. let's hope they do  :)

Cheers

Andrew

cybersye

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 06:47:29 pm »
Thanks Andrew,
so it sounds as though pressure maybe a problem, I'll keep thinking on solving that one,
but as for waste water what if I was to route that back into the tank? or would it just reduce the life of the filters so much that it would'nt be viable?
cheers
Simon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:18:41 pm »
OK braincell.. wake up!!!  :)

It wouldnt be a good idea at all to route the waste back to your tank. You will reduce the life of your membranes dramatically.. and..  use FAR more resin.

Have a look here http://www.ge-merlin.com/#tech

This is the GE merlin spec page. Look at max permeate flow rate (which you will never get) even if using a booster pump. There are too many variables to guarantee max performace. u would do very well indeed to get 2 ltrs per min output. I dont think any pump would like this.

I honestly cant see you being able to do what you want to with your Merlin.

Sorry  :(  Hope I am wqrong though.

Cheers

Andrew ( Who doesnt follow football and is already fed up with the world cup ) 

sair

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 09:05:17 am »
hi simon 
 i am not just about selling systems . you do need a booster pump the difficultly for me is i do not know much about the melin as i dont work with it but youll need to find a 12 volt pump that likes working with the merlin a split charger or spare lesuire battery for that perpose and  a way or restricting the  the flow of waste .
but how the merlin likes this is i am unaware the best way to increase flow when presure and flow is low .is by a recirculation on the waste with a 25%-40% reciculation back to pump then through the membraine again , but again how merlin reacts i dont know , best person to talk to is june at gaps she a wealth of information , tell what you hope to achieve ie min 2-3 liters amin from merlin on van mounted what ypu need to achieve this
regards tony
Essentially Pure Ltd

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 04:39:20 pm »
Simon,

I can see a way if I am right. The guru's will correct me if I am wrong.

Ok, fill your tank with  tap water and using a shurflow pump, pump the water from your tank into a 22ltr DI vessel. Then from the vessel connect to the brush head. You may consider 2 x DI vessels to ensure your TDS is at 000

Unless the heat has got to me or I really am stupid I can't see how that won't work. The water is held in your tank, its pumped through the DI vessell and out through your brush head.

I use the exact same system only the water in my tank is already pure and the DI vessel is a small 12.5kg just to polish that 100%.

All I see your doing is increasing the size of the DI vessell to accomodate the water TDS levels and reduce to 0?

So, unless I have missed something, that will work??

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

sair

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:07:03 pm »
you can do it that way but thats a delievery system non r/o based the best use of resin is gained that way two x 6x35 dividing the resin between two vessels,

depends on water tds prior to di if your waters about 300 youll get about at least 12-18 sets of of 250 liters that way its reasonable until you can afford a 40x40 system thats about 800 includung vat or you can just spend about 80  amonth on resin. we sell alot of resin based systems and most my customers use the two di tanks and one sack lasts a month you have torememeber too make sure the final di tank is put back first in line and the di tank which is taking the brunt is changed and put prior to the final feed to the hase reel.

or just experiment with booster pump with merlin if you e mail me your addres i ll find out from within my friends in the industry how best to achieve what you want or if its possible purewatersales@tiscali.co.uk
Essentially Pure Ltd

cybersye

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:10:31 pm »
Hi Tony, for the meantime I'm going to continue filtering the water as I have been, but I'm going to try to economise on what I use. I spoke to Phil from crow electro earlier about the eco flo basic unit, he says you may have stock? I'm also in need of a new di vessel and resin and maybe a few other bits n bobs. Have emailed you also but heres the address cybersye2003@hotmail.com or call 07970 872006, my system is in bits so not working this week but need to get up and running again for next week, I gather I'm not far from you (I'm in Brighton) so can always collect from you, If you can supply me with any of the stuff I need please get in touch,
Thanks
Simon

cybersye

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
Simon,

I can see a way if I am right. The guru's will correct me if I am wrong.

Ok, fill your tank with  tap water and using a shurflow pump, pump the water from your tank into a 22ltr DI vessel. Then from the vessel connect to the brush head. You may consider 2 x DI vessels to ensure your TDS is at 000

Unless the heat has got to me or I really am stupid I can't see how that won't work. The water is held in your tank, its pumped through the DI vessell and out through your brush head.

I use the exact same system only the water in my tank is already pure and the DI vessel is a small 12.5kg just to polish that 100%.

All I see your doing is increasing the size of the DI vessell to accomodate the water TDS levels and reduce to 0?

So, unless I have missed something, that will work??

Best wishes,

Trev

thanks Trev, and the rest of you for your help
I have explored that route, I'm in a hard water area and I think the monthly cost of resin would be significant for me, I already use ro and di before a holding tank at a mates, but I feel its in his way and feel forever in debt to him, I may at a later date invest in a bigger van mounted tank and put the merlin ro on board if I can think of somewhere to park up of an evening initially to fill it and then I may get away with topping up as and when, I bought the merlin because its very good at producing the water quickly though I wonder whether it brings the tds as low as other systems, I know someone who uses another ro system without the need for di resin, and his tds is low enough to go without it, and in  the same town.
Anyways thankyou to everyone, this sites a font of knowledge and I'm glad I discovered it.
Cheers
Simon ;)