H2GoKent

Re: do expressions like "what do you want from your busines"
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 10:57:40 am »
almost make you feel guilty or maybe inadequate.
It almost feels like a crime if after 3 years of window cleaning if you haven't got three vans on the road,employ people,buy the latest poles that come out,dont have a portfolio of commercial and domestic customers oh and you aren't a member of some governing body!!

Now maybe its an age thing,im 50 and i am looking for a part timer,two days a week but in the main i feel quite comfortable about what i do i have over 340 customers mostly monthly,i pay my bills,i earn a decent wage but yet for some reason i feel i am doing something wrong or lagging behind other people,especially on this forum.
I appreciate we are all different and work at different speeds and ways and what's good for one is not always good for another.

I am now going to take my tablets for my paranoid brain and tomorrow will be a beautiful bright sunny day ;D
and i look forward to all your responses

PS
The doctors are letting me go home tomorrow

You sound a like success to me.
 ;D
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

bobplum

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »
almost make you feel guilty or maybe inadequate.
It almost feels like a crime if after 3 years of window cleaning if you haven't got three vans on the road,employ people,buy the latest poles that come out,dont have a portfolio of commercial and domestic customers oh and you aren't a member of some governing body!!

Now maybe its an age thing,im 50 and i am looking for a part timer,two days a week but in the main i feel quite comfortable about what i do i have over 340 customers mostly monthly,i pay my bills,i earn a decent wage but yet for some reason i feel i am doing something wrong or lagging behind other people,especially on this forum.
I appreciate we are all different and work at different speeds and ways and what's good for one is not always good for another.

I am now going to take my tablets for my paranoid brain and tomorrow will be a beautiful bright sunny day ;D
and i look forward to all your responses

PS
The doctors are letting me go home tomorrow

You sound a like success to me.
 ;D

thank you :-* :-*

Granny

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »

I love my work and will be windying until I drop dead, or Armageddon comes (which ever is the sooner).

John

Hi John you been listening to those JW's ?
It's nearer than you think ;D

bobplum

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »
Just interested what kind of business people are running
How many vans you all got. How many staff you have.
Are you happy with your company and where you think you will be in ten years time.
I am at the moment just me in one van. Happy with what I have and will look into expanding next spring again. Due to problems I sold a lot of work as was not working out how I wanted my company to be.

i REST MY CASE(no offence to the chap who posted this thread ;D)

Johnny B

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 10:53:47 pm »

I love my work and will be windying until I drop dead, or Armageddon comes (which ever is the sooner).

John

Hi John you been listening to those JW's ?
It's nearer than you think ;D

I've been sussed!  ;D

John  
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:51 pm »
A bigger business does not necessarily mean a more profitable business.
My uncle started out with a butchers stall on a market. It was making money so he decided to expand buying more stalls and shops. It was nothing but stress and he ended up selling the lot. 20 years down the line he still says expanding was the worst mistake he made because he had to pay his staff before he paid himself and with staff there are always 'issues'.
His advice to us - keep it simple. For those of you who employ staff fair play to you but personally can't think of anything worse.
Window cleaning is an easy way of making a decent living and having a life - works for me  :)

a really good little independant brewary/pub opened up in my town about 2 yrs ago done great from the word go, so what does the owner do?.....

opens up another one in neighbouring town pouring all the money into it. it doesnt take off and now both pubs are closed, and he has done all his savings.

im not quite sure what the moral is but there is definately one there.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Window Washers

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »
My uncle started out with a butchers stall on a market. It was making money so he decided to expand buying more stalls and shops. It was nothing but stress and he ended up selling the lot. 20 years down the line he still says expanding was the worst mistake he made because he had to pay his staff before he paid himself and with staff there are always 'issues'.
His advice to us - keep it simple. For those of you who employ staff fair play to you but personally can't think of anything worse.
Window cleaning is an easy way of making a decent living and having a life - works for me  :)

a really good little independant brewary/pub opened up in my town about 2 yrs ago done great from the word go, so what does the owner do?.....

opens up another one in neighbouring town pouring all the money into it. it doesnt take off and now both pubs are closed, and he has done all his savings.

the moral is he tried and failed but at least he tried.

the saying goes, 'It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all'

another I like is: if you keep doing what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

rosskesava

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 12:06:17 am »
So how can the pub owner be better for trying and failing rather than not trying at all?

He made a bad business decision and by plowing his saving into it, made an even worse decision.

Knowing when to quit is as important as knowing when and how to try.

Running a business with employees isn't for everyone but some get caught up in the need to expand based on what they think they want 'from the business' and destroy a perfectly good one man, or one woman, business.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

G Griffin

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:42 am »
Window cleaning is an easy way of making a decent living and having a life - works for me  :)

The moral is, you're a big pisshead and kept the one in your town going  :D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Window Washers

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:27 am »
So how can the pub owner be better for trying and failing rather than not trying at all?

He made a bad business decision and by plowing his saving into it, made an even worse decision.

Knowing when to quit is as important as knowing when and how to try.

Running a business with employees isn't for everyone but some get caught up in the need to expand based on what they think they want 'from the business' and destroy a perfectly good one man, or one woman, business.
the guy clearly wasn't happy with a one man business, to be honest I don't blame him, had he of not tried he would have spent his life wondering "what if" he can always start again. You don't happen to be a one man band do you that is happy with your life ? Just asking as it would explain your comments mate
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Johnny B

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 08:50:35 am »
Am I stating a rhetorical here? The pub guy could have succeeded if he had only put into the second pub what he could afford to lose without jeopardising the first.

Why gamble and fail, when you can work hard and succeed?

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:36 am »

the saying goes, 'It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all'

another I like is: if you keep doing what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten

Or maybe it was a case of running before you can walk? he was doing ok where he was but then stretched himself to the limit and lost everything whats clever about that?

surely in this case it would of been better not to have tried, or at least waited.

there is another saying...he who builds a house before setting out does he not calculate the cost?....
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Window Washers

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »

Or maybe it was a case of running before you can walk? he was doing ok where he was but then stretched himself to the limit and lost everything whats clever about that?

surely in this case it would of been better not to have tried, or at least waited.

there is another saying...he who builds a house before setting out does he not calculate the cost?....
hindsight is a wonderful thing

4S Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »
Bob plum spot on with your op  ;D