britishwill

Anyone else found it too hot to work in the afernoon
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »
For the last 3 days I have found it to hot to work after 1.00pm. I am no woss but wondered if anyone else was knocking off early?
I get home and am sweating constantly, maybe I am coming down with something!

Anyone else feel like a sweaty betty or finding the weather oppressive?

I aint complaining btw!

Gordon Saunders

Re: Anyone else found it too hot to work in the afernoon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »
drink lots of water and man up :)

G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »

Is that like 7 UP?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

britishwill

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »
Drinking loads of water so must have to man up then!

RO-Sheen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »
It is a struggle but its my best chance to catch up after all that rain. I stick a couple of 2lt bottles of water (9/10ths full) in the freezer the night before. As the day goes the ice melts so you have a constant supply of chilled water.
Without that I would probably 'man down' like you  ;D
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Steve_c

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:12:26 pm »
No easy as pie, as I have been in hotter places during my time in the SAS. ;D

EandM

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:18:08 pm »
It's not the heat that's the problem it's the shock to the system of the temperature suddenly doubling down here in Devon.

Worked Tuesday, drank loads, kept my hat on - early night as I felt rough. Couldn't sleep, up at 11pm shaking like a leaf and freezing cold. More drink and two duvets and I managed to go to sleep. Couldn't work yesterday.

Great day today - hot sun - drank loads, worked loads - feel great !!

Shock over now & shouldn't have any problems for the rest of the summer but every year I get caught out when the temperature jumps - whatever I do.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:47:33 am »
I used to be a miner working in very hot conditions I've also worked in Australia. Some people used to collapse underground with heat exhaustion. The medical advice we recieved was to avoid caffeine, drink more than you think you need without going over the top, don't have drinks icy cold. Also after about 4 days in heat your body starts to produce a chemical (cant remember its name) which helps you cope with the heat, basically you urinate less and the body works more efficiently. Stick with it trust me it does get easier. I did some labouring through summer in Australia and after a while I got so used to it I wanted it to be 35c

DG Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 06:48:50 am »
Also eat plenty of raisins

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:54:41 am »
Wearing a hat, and I don't mean a baseball cap, makes a big, big difference. Cricket hats are cheap on ebay.

paul marshall

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:02 am »
i spent the last few weeks moaning that it was to wet ,and the last few days moaning that its to hot , the weather hey ,cant live with it cant live without it  :'( :'( :'( :'(
the more flyers i post , the luckier i seem to get ...

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:28:22 am »
ive found myself winding down around 3pm a few times this week due to the humidity.its also because im not getting much sleep as its been too hot some nights.3 hours sleep at night and im done in by 3pm!! :( :(

yesterday i was the window cleaning equivalent of a sunday driver!! ;D ;D ;D

ive rescheduled some commercial jobs until monday now as i want the weekend off.ive got a pretty easy day today then chill out until monday.

luckily the humidity has gone here in manchester. :D :D

i find eating plenty of fruit and drinking lots of water makes me feel better.boring i know but gotta try and do what i can to keep myself going!! ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

paul saunders

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 07:28:22 am »
Wearing a hat, and I don't mean a baseball cap, makes a lot of difference. Cricket hats are cheap on ebay.
   Can you remove the face guard cos I'd feel a right numpty walking around with rhat on. ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 07:48:46 am »
Wearing a hat, and I don't mean a baseball cap, makes a lot of difference. Cricket hats are cheap on ebay.
   Can you remove the face guard cos I'd feel a right numpty walking around with rhat on. ;D

With or without the face guard it won't make any difference to the question of whether you are a right numpty.

gary999

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 08:43:19 am »

Is that like 7 UP?

;D man up what a ridiculas statement ;D

in some peoples gardens by 3pm the air temp plus the heat coming from the ground
ive seen temps on peoples thermometers up to 38celsius

whats that old saying about mad dogs and englishmen! ;D

Scrimble

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:00 am »
i've just been taking it slow, resting and cooling down in between houses, and taking plenty of water to drink,

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:20 am »
I gave up yesterday after just 2 jobs. The heat doesn't normally affect me so maybe it is the sudden change in temperature.

Today, although it's cloudy here it's still very warm and extremely humid. I should have left at 9am but I'm sort of putting it off.  :-\
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:09 am »
hahaha, what a lot of nonsense. A few days of the sun and all this ridiculous whinging!! You clean windows, you dont work on construction in the middle East (real heat and real dangers).

Grow a pair!  ;D

gary999

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 10:25:55 am »
im a true englishman and dont like the heat....its all you bloody foreigners
that are wrong ;D

DaveG

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:19 am »
Rarely work after 1 anyway  ;D
You can't polish a turd

Johnny B

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:09 pm »
Not too hot here in Ireland. Just very pleasantly warm with occasional showers to keep cool.

A few years ago in Blighty there was heatwave and I was working in the hottest part of the country, just outside Gravesend when the temperatute reached 38 celsius. I worked away regardless with no ill effects but drank plenty of Lucozade to keep the energy and fluid levels up.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Ian101

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 07:06:56 pm »
too cold ... too wet ... too hot .. too humid ....  :(

no pleasing some of you's.

baseball cap
factor 15 on ears and back of neck
plenty of water thru day
shorts if it gets really hot

simples

Cliff perkins

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 08:41:52 am »
Just gotta get on with it .
I get no compassion from the mrs when i get home ,if i get home after a really hard day and she asks me to do this and that and i cant cuz im cream crackered,that really winds me up.
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

andyM

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:36 am »
Not too hot here in Ireland. Just very pleasantly warm with occasional showers to keep cool.

A few years ago in Blighty there was heatwave and I was working in the hottest part of the country, just outside Gravesend when the temperatute reached 38 celsius. I worked away regardless with no ill effects but drank plenty of Lucozade to keep the energy and fluid levels up.
John

I remember that day, but it was a Sunday so not a working day for me.
One of the Plebs

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 11:59:39 am »
The symptoms that Aandm described in this thread sound a hell of a lot like sun stroke. This is quite common in hot countries when there is a sudden onset of heat like we have just had. It no laughing matter as I have ended in hospital a few times in Africa with this problem.
       In hot countries you could have a swim and regain a lower body heat. What I do here is stick my head into customer`s water butts or under the tape.
         Drinking water will not always reduce body heat and can make you feel ill you need to reduce body heat or you can claps as you excrete too many salts in the form of sweat  and reduce your ability to hold water.

Johnny B

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 12:15:28 pm »

John

The day I am referring to was deffo not a Sunday.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

andyM

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »

John

The day I am referring to was deffo not a Sunday.

John

Ah I thought you was talking about the day when the highest temp in england was recorded back in 2003.
That was around 38 degrees and was recorded in Kent.
I remember it because I was working in a factory and all the machines during the week kept on cutting out due to the heat.
The week kept getting warmer and warmer and on the sunday we had the mega high temperature.
One of the Plebs

Frankybadboy

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30:19 pm »
some of you need to man up if you cant handle the heat,

probaly a lot off you are unfit and carrying extra pounds. :P dont eat right and dont drink the right fuilds. ;D :o

gary999

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 09:16:10 pm »
some of you need to man up if you cant handle the heat,

probaly a lot off you are unfit and carrying extra pounds. :P dont eat right and dont drink the right fuilds. ;D :o

man up what a load of cobblers :) even some of the best athletes in the world suffer
in hot conditions especially when its humid if they have had no time to acclimatise

some of us just arent suited to it....i have no problems though when its really cold
and wet

EandM

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 11:10:25 pm »
In Devon during the Summer of 2003 it actually made 100 F but this caused little trouble as the temperature had increased gradually from the end of June to the middle of August. The ' man up ' theory wasn't an issue as there was no shock transition or doubling of the temperature overnight. We carried on working with very few problems and really enjoyed being in the sun and actually being able to handle being in the sun. We're all ok in the end...it just takes some of us a little longer to get there.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 08:12:22 am »
gary

fed up with people on hear that moan when it wet,moan when it cold and now moan when it to hot. :P :P :P :P

live with it suck it up man

work to the conditions wear suitable clothing,sun cream,hat, drink water and eat the right foods, ;)

also work a bit slower saves your energy and sit in the shade alos helps

live with it and suck it up man,

hotter the better for me,

*Hector*

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51:11 am »
Frankie...
ever get the feeling the GIF below applies ?  ;D ;D

Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 08:54:06 am »
i think it just proves frankyboy if your fitness is good then you can stand the heat a lot better than the average guy.

ive always been a serial abuser of my body with junk food,drugs and very large amounts of alcohol,smoking,no exercise etc.

ive cleaned my act up over the last 10 years or so.no drink,drugs or smoking anymore(although i "vape" e-cigs!).ive cut down on the junk food and im starting to do a bit of swimming again.

i cope better in the heat than i used to but i still end up having to finish early if the humidity is high.

i wish id never touched a cigarette or any alcohol or street drug as i would be a lot healthier i reckon with a few more brain cells!but i cant change the past so its a salvage operation to try and keep my health at a reasonable level.

frankyboy you have my upmost respect when i hear of your feats for charity.you must be one fit guy!!id struggle to even run half a mile down the road without being totally knackered!! :( :(

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Frankybadboy

Re: Anyone else found it too hot to work in the afernoon New
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 09:34:22 am »
daz

10/15 years a go i wasnt far off what you are saying weighng in at just under 17stone. :o :o

a simple change in life styles just makes think a lot easier and able to cope  ;)