benny donnelly

Building a wc business
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:18:23 pm »

Just curious to know what people aims are with their own business..

Are you more than happy with a good income/solid round etc?

Do you plan on expanding/fleet of vans, employees, etc?

Me personally im only into week 4 of my business and all has went to plan and im more than happy with it, still learning, getting faster, using less water etc but today i got thinking about a 1/3/5 years from now and im thinking big, i want more vans on the road and a substantail round including commerical contracts etc

As i say im only at the first hurdle but if ya dont think big ya cant become big!

P @ F

Re: Building a wc business
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:26:26 pm »
Sit back and chill for a while , i went charlie big spuds , took the world on , got the second van and staff , then lost 8k of commercial overnight , now back to 1 van with just me in it , happier , richer and less stessed , i would say w/c can be most distressing at times , but i would be stealing a punchline  ;D

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Johnny B

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:47:04 pm »
I am 10 months into building my business up from scratch after moving to Ireland in July last year.

My aim is simply to keep building and refining until I have a decent business for myself as a sole trader.

John   

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

windiewasher

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:22:52 pm »
just get the best work you can get and earn the most money you can for as few hours as possible.
6 hours a day is enough for me.
i wanted to take the world on but now im happiest ive been.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Ryan @ Transparent, Carlisle

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:24:25 am »
well, i came with the attitude that i wanted more vans, staff etc..... but seeing other friends having problems with staff, had put me off. we now concentrate on getting quality work, at premium prices, and if everyday could be the same as my "favourite" day, then id be a happy man with one van, and 2 of us running the show!

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:24:35 am »
I'm happy with just me and constantly thinking of ways to do the job to the same standard but quicker. It's come down to small details like where and how I get stuff out the van and put it away again and loads of other little things which, when added up, make a difference.

I've been down the road of being the boss and employing, running contracts, being the administrator, worrying about cash flow, staff not doing this or that, going out and being 'pro active' and all that crud, talking the talk and walking the walk, but now, I'm more than happy with me and one van.

My earning are less but so are the stress levels and the hours I work. I have more than enough money to cover living expenses so I enjoy each day.

Maybe getting older has changed what I want out of life, and what I don't want, and responsibility and running a business proper, nah, I'll just stick now to being a one man band. I'm happy doing what I do.

Become big if that rocks you boat and I hope you get over your first hurdle and I genuinely hope you achieve your aims but for me, I'm not interested in overcoming hurdles any more and those hurdles get bigger the further you go. I've more than enough customers and that's good enough for me.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Mike #1

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:22:23 am »
well, i came with the attitude that i wanted more vans, staff etc..... but seeing other friends having problems with staff, had put me off. we now concentrate on getting quality work, at premium prices, and if everyday could be the same as my "favourite" day, then id be a happy man with one van, and 2 of us running the show!

Same as ryan except i will always work alone my wife has hinted she would like to work with me but dont think i could put up with her all day . Mike

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 07:58:31 am »
I have 1 employee, and have always had the intension of exanding further, was ready to get 2nd van and 2nd employee... when we was trad.

Now we have just converted to water fed pole, the 2 of us are able to get thru the workload quicker, and as we are still learning wfp, we will only get quicker still.

So as it stands, I have no need for a 2nd van or 2nd employee.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 08:45:13 am »

Me personally im only into week 4 of my business and all has went to plan and im more than happy with it, still learning, getting faster, using less water etc but today i got thinking about a 1/3/5 years from now and im thinking big, i want more vans on the road and a substantail round including commerical contracts etc

As i say im only at the first hurdle but if ya dont think big ya cant become big!

Personally I am OK with maximising my income as a single operator in the most hassle free manner possible.  So, decently priced work where I can mostly turn up and clean without having to make appointments, customers who don't mess about, jobs with fairly decent access or better.  Once you filter out the work that gets in the way of the above, you can earn a decent income without the hassle of employees.

brynley

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:59 am »
i did think about employing as i am always behind with my work, but i'm nearly 56, morgage paid off,i would like to work just 4 days a week, so i decided against it.

instead i have sold off some of my work, i am getting better priced work in. my ultimate aim is as i'm sure everyone's is to work less for more money.

benny donnelly

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »

I can see the sense in keeping small and having a really good round to work on month after month, less headaches, no messy customers etc, for me its early days but the thought of at least trying it at being big sounds good.

Imagine you have a fleet of maybe 5 vans, good solid substantail domestic round, extensive commerical work and an office where you would be running the operation managing canvassers, trying for more work overlooking the whole business -- Is there anyone here has a business doing something near this scale would be good to hear how much work it really is

windiewasher

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:13:31 pm »

I can see the sense in keeping small and having a really good round to work on month after month, less headaches, no messy customers etc, for me its early days but the thought of at least trying it at being big sounds good.

Imagine you have a fleet of maybe 5 vans, good solid substantail domestic round, extensive commerical work and an office where you would be running the operation managing canvassers, trying for more work overlooking the whole business -- Is there anyone here has a business doing something near this scale would be good to hear how much work it really is

like you say your in week 4.get a feel for it before aiming too high.wait till the weathers bad and you cant make any money.
get through the winter before you make big plans
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 01:51:14 pm »
What a positive bunch you are....

Steve Sed

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:43 am »

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:02:54 am »

What's that got to do with it. Being positive doesn't only mean having a bigger and bigger business. Being positive is also being happy doing what you are doing.

It's a modern thing that you have to always be looking to get 'bigger' and if you don't then you are not being 'positive'.

If a person is completely happy doing what they are doing at what ever level of business then what is more positive than that?

Big isn't always better.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

bobby p

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 06:31:04 am »
im going to put the brakes on expanding when i have about 6 partime workers, i have 4 at the moment.

i didnt start in this biz with the plan to make big money, i started  it as a coping mechanism for a problem in my personal life .  that problem looks like it wont go away anytime soon and by keeping setting myself different challenges  i get on with my life and a by product is making good money!

Also i find i  really enjoy swinging a squeegee and think i always will  ;)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 11:58:11 am »
One of the things I love about this game is the flexibility it gives.

There are guys who want to turn over £80 a day then stop
There are guys who want to be the whole UK's window cleaning company of choice
There are guys who want to spend time with their kids but earn enough to keep the bailiff from the door
There are guys who want to run a two man van to its fullest capacity
There are guys who want a good holiday every three months
There are guys who want to run half a dozen vans

...and everything inbetween.

You can do what you want and you shouldn't be judged for it.  However, the moment you start to say on here where in that list you sit, people from other parts of it jump on you (we've already had one on this thread).

All I will say is that if you're positive and surround yourself with people who are positive, you can create exactly the business you want to create to fulfill whatever wishes you have.

Vin

Knocker

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 12:13:59 pm »
Some guys do over £3 million a year in window cleaning

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »

What a negative post.

Good post, Vin.
I treat it as a job on flexi time, not a business  :-\. I'd like a better business, more money etc but I'm not prepared to do the hard work. I also realise there are benefits to my apathy  ;D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 12:38:29 pm »
Sit back and chill for a while , i went charlie big spuds , took the world on , got the second van and staff , then lost 8k of commercial overnight , now back to 1 van with just me in it , happier , richer and less stessed , i would say w/c can be most distressing at times , but i would be stealing a punchline  ;D

Rich

The first line is sit back and chill for a while.....

How is that helping a guy who is 4 weeks into a new business?

He obviously has ambition yet not one said go for it....

My comment wasnt aimed at people running one man bands and if it looked that way then I apologise....

Just not much encouragement....

Steve Sed

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:49:05 pm »

The first line is sit back and chill for a while.....
How is that helping a guy who is 4 weeks into a new business?
He obviously has ambition yet not one said go for it....

My comment wasnt aimed at people running one man bands and if it looked that way then I apologise....

Just not much encouragement....

He wasn't asking for encouragement. He asked what other people wanted out of window cleaning.

Paul H

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »
One of the things I love about this game is the flexibility it gives.

There are guys who want to turn over £80 a day then stop
There are guys who want to be the whole UK's window cleaning company of choice
There are guys who want to spend time with their kids but earn enough to keep the bailiff from the door
There are guys who want to run a two man van to its fullest capacity
There are guys who want a good holiday every three months
There are guys who want to run half a dozen vans

...and everything inbetween.

You can do what you want and you shouldn't be judged for it.  However, the moment you start to say on here where in that list you sit, people from other parts of it jump on you (we've already had one on this thread).

All I will say is that if you're positive and surround yourself with people who are positive, you can create exactly the business you want to create to fulfill whatever wishes you have.

Vin

wheres the like button for this post :)

dont worry about others ... focus on yourself and what you want and where you want to go with your business...

when you decide where you want to go just come back on and ask and seek advice and views...

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 10:36:55 am »
I want to go bigger, I have my first part timer on board and would like the business to grow,I am 43 and have no pension so this is my prime motivator,would like to semi retire and slow down as I approach my senior years and can't do this without employees, I also really enjoy mentoring the youngsters and showing them that hard work does pay off,I started august last year with a small van and trad gear,now I have a large van and 2 man set up and a canvasser,I am just in the process of bringing in a few other services into the mix, it's incredibly hard work but feel quite proud of myself and get a great buzz out of it, there is nothing wrong with dreaming big and you must surround yourself with positive people as 1 negative comment has 10 fold the effect of a positive one, i think reading some of the posts of the big guns I would always make sure 80% of the income came in from well paid domestic work rather than laying people off when the commercials drop out or get taken from under you...

Graham

supernova77

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:45 am »
I'm currently at the stage of having 1 guy work with me 3 days a week... I was going to expand a little further and put another van on the road with him in it 3 days a week but have decided against it for now.

I'm just going to build a little further and refine... My goal at the moment is to get to just below the VAT threshold and then put a little bit more time in to my other business idea.

Andy

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »
A lot of what you want out of this business is the age you are at and what you want from life.

When I was 17 and a door to door canvasser for double glazing, I wanted everything, I wanted to party, eat in the best resturants, cars and bikes etc and I did do all of them.

The thoughts of a pension never crossed my mind, I had the attitude that If i wanted to buy something I would work a little harder and get it.

If I had known about WFP in those days then my life would have taken on a different path and I would be a very rich man now.

Over the years since I have have a variety of jobs and businesses, some failed, while others were sucessful, you do need your failures.

When I set up this business 10 years ago, all I wanted was to earn around £500 per week with as little effort involved.

This was really easy to do and for over 7 years I just paddled water, I refined my services and the work I had, at first I would do any job, now I am more selective, at first I would tender for all the big contracts, now I never will, then I would clean shops I now give this away to other cleaners.

Then 2 years ago the fact that I was getting older and in a short space of time I would need to retire, I looked at how my life style would change, well the first to go would be the 5 holidays I have aboard, the business would be gone and the money I get from its sale would soon be spent, so now I would have to spend the possiblity of the next 25 years in poverty.

So I decided that my business would be my pension, I have worked it out that I need a minimum of 3 vans on the road to pay for the retirement I want, 5 would be better.

Of course things never go to plan, I have had set backs mainly health ones and un-realiable staff plus a few other things, I think that my biggest failure has been my attitude and commitment to growing, I refined the business, I gained more customers but I also improved the profitiblity of the business, which is where I am at now.

My biggest mistake I think was to forget what I have learn't over the years and one of these is what I learn't from door to door sales.

30 years ago I worked for companies that bombarded estates with door knockers and that got tons of new customers, using these methods along with mass leafeting will soon have a impact.

As has already been said, this trade can offer everything to everyone, if you want a small compact round working a few hours, but having enough income to do what you want then you can, the opposite is also true that if you want a empire of hundreds of vans then that is possible (that would be fun to watch).

WFP is just like sealed units were to double glazing 30 years ago, a new market has opened and needs to be expoilted, also window cleaning in general is changing, a few years ago there was a shortage of good cleaners and potential customers always exceeded them, now more good cleaners are going into the trade that these figures are shrinking and soon there will be more cleaners than customers, I think that this is why there so many attacks on people who go on about how big they want to grow.

If you think back 20 years ago there was no such thing as a coffee bar apart from the ones from the sixtys which were really up market cafes, a brother and sister soon changed that by opening up the first Coffee Republic in London, everyone in the business world said the idea would not work especially in a country of tea drinkers, but now look at how far you are away from a coffee shop.

Window cleaning is changing, now days customers are being offered choises, they can choose to have a ladder cleaner or a wfp one who can reach the windows a ladder cleaner cannot reach, they can use a cleaner who calls to let them know when he will be there (weather permitting) to the guys who just turn and clean, and if the back is never cleaned so what, someone mentioned that we could even move into a "dial a clean" service and although I do not think that the majority of customers will move from a regular monthly clean, for some customers it is the perfect option for them.

So if someone says I am going for broke and I am going to build a empire, don't tell them to "chill out" but look over your shoulder because one day someone will do it.

For the original poster, I can say look at what you want, have tunnel vision, forget the ones who want to drag you down and go for it, remember you are only limited by your drive and commitment anything else is possible.

George P

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 01:05:16 pm »
a lot of good points there hydro, its a lot about knowing what you want, (and sometimes right place right time), im sure we could all take something from what youve put,

Carl Anderson

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 04:21:21 pm »
Excellent post Hydro,

I think i'm at the stage of just wanting £100 a day turnover. I've got most of my stuff now and have sent a friend and girlfriend canvassing for me whilst i've been delivering leaflets and doing part time hours in the early morning (6.30am-1.30pm) which earns me about £55 a day. The canvassing has seen some decent results and i have quoted work for between £6 and £12 averaging just short of £7.50. So i'd be looking at doing 8-12 houses a day at first.

I also do carpet cleaning as well and average about 2 jobs a week with limited advertising which brings in around £75 a job.

My target is to take home after expenses and tax/NI £100 a day after a while longer. That was my target when i was working behind a bar for £6.50 an hour 6 hours a day six days a week  ??? Will be happy with that and should be achievable. When this is achieved i will be looking at trying to earn more than just a wage, put some money away and live a little more comfortably and maybe a couple holidays a year. Hopefully.

G Griffin

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »
"Eat in the best restaurants" at 17? Talk about a misspent youth  :D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

DaveG

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 05:45:00 pm »
I was a normal teenager, you know, giving rockers a good kicking and equally getting a good kicking!
You can't polish a turd

boshravie

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
A lot of what you want out of this business is the age you are at and what you want from life.

When I was 17 and a door to door canvasser for double glazing, I wanted everything, I wanted to party, eat in the best resturants, cars and bikes etc and I did do all of them.

The thoughts of a pension never crossed my mind, I had the attitude that If i wanted to buy something I would work a little harder and get it.

If I had known about WFP in those days then my life would have taken on a different path and I would be a very rich man now.

Over the years since I have have a variety of jobs and businesses, some failed, while others were sucessful, you do need your failures.

When I set up this business 10 years ago, all I wanted was to earn around £500 per week with as little effort involved.

This was really easy to do and for over 7 years I just paddled water, I refined my services and the work I had, at first I would do any job, now I am more selective, at first I would tender for all the big contracts, now I never will, then I would clean shops I now give this away to other cleaners.

Then 2 years ago the fact that I was getting older and in a short space of time I would need to retire, I looked at how my life style would change, well the first to go would be the 5 holidays I have aboard, the business would be gone and the money I get from its sale would soon be spent, so now I would have to spend the possiblity of the next 25 years in poverty.

So I decided that my business would be my pension, I have worked it out that I need a minimum of 3 vans on the road to pay for the retirement I want, 5 would be better.

Of course things never go to plan, I have had set backs mainly health ones and un-realiable staff plus a few other things, I think that my biggest failure has been my attitude and commitment to growing, I refined the business, I gained more customers but I also improved the profitiblity of the business, which is where I am at now.

My biggest mistake I think was to forget what I have learn't over the years and one of these is what I learn't from door to door sales.

30 years ago I worked for companies that bombarded estates with door knockers and that got tons of new customers, using these methods along with mass leafeting will soon have a impact.

As has already been said, this trade can offer everything to everyone, if you want a small compact round working a few hours, but having enough income to do what you want then you can, the opposite is also true that if you want a empire of hundreds of vans then that is possible (that would be fun to watch).

WFP is just like sealed units were to double glazing 30 years ago, a new market has opened and needs to be expoilted, also window cleaning in general is changing, a few years ago there was a shortage of good cleaners and potential customers always exceeded them, now more good cleaners are going into the trade that these figures are shrinking and soon there will be more cleaners than customers, I think that this is why there so many attacks on people who go on about how big they want to grow.

If you think back 20 years ago there was no such thing as a coffee bar apart from the ones from the sixtys which were really up market cafes, a brother and sister soon changed that by opening up the first Coffee Republic in London, everyone in the business world said the idea would not work especially in a country of tea drinkers, but now look at how far you are away from a coffee shop.

Window cleaning is changing, now days customers are being offered choises, they can choose to have a ladder cleaner or a wfp one who can reach the windows a ladder cleaner cannot reach, they can use a cleaner who calls to let them know when he will be there (weather permitting) to the guys who just turn and clean, and if the back is never cleaned so what, someone mentioned that we could even move into a "dial a clean" service and although I do not think that the majority of customers will move from a regular monthly clean, for some customers it is the perfect option for them.

So if someone says I am going for broke and I am going to build a empire, don't tell them to "chill out" but look over your shoulder because one day someone will do it.

For the original poster, I can say look at what you want, have tunnel vision, forget the ones who want to drag you down and go for it, remember you are only limited by your drive and commitment anything else is possible.

Excellent post Hydro, well said  :)

benny donnelly

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:32 pm »

A lot of good posts here and some good advise!

For me I always have a plan and im working on a BIG one for my business. I have been ambitions for year 2/5/10 etc. I want to make a substantail business so later I can sit and reap the hard work put in at the start.

When your employed you can only achieve so much and your potential is really in someone elses hands, but self employed, well only you can stop you achieve what you what too :)

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:46 pm »
I want to go bigger, I have my first part timer on board and would like the business to grow,I am 43 and have no pension so this is my prime motivator,would like to semi retire and slow down as I approach my senior years and can't do this without employees, I also really enjoy mentoring the youngsters and showing them that hard work does pay off,I started august last year with a small van and trad gear,now I have a large van and 2 man set up and a canvasser,I am just in the process of bringing in a few other services into the mix, it's incredibly hard work but feel quite proud of myself and get a great buzz out of it, there is nothing wrong with dreaming big and you must surround yourself with positive people as 1 negative comment has 10 fold the effect of a positive one, i think reading some of the posts of the big guns I would always make sure 80% of the income came in from well paid domestic work rather than laying people off when the commercials drop out or get taken from under you...

Graham
[/quoteif u want to go big commercial work is the only way to do it

Window Washers

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 08:57:29 am »

Read a book called "the magic of thinking big" without a dream or vision you will not go anywhere anyone that says you can't ignor them, think big, work smart and nail it. Good Luck  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

AC Window Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 03:10:25 pm »
You get out of this game what you put in,if you want it-go get it.
You can dictate your own success.