C-Thru.

Electric Hose Reel.
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
here we go again.... ha ha ha ha
After seeing the recent posts re-electric hose reels and seeing the video on here using a cordless Drill I thought there has to be a less time and space consuming idea....Got me thinking....

I did think first of all about using a small car starter motor, after looking up on You Tube, lots of video's of people powering Push bikes with starter motors (have a look, they do look like good fun!) But after getting advise from several Mechanics we came to conclusion that a starter motor would be too difficult to control speed, so that idea went out of window....

After more thought I have come up with latest idea of a 12v motor from a 'Golf Caddy Trolley'
Looked on Fleabay and they are available & reasonably cheap.
Anyway one of my Commercial clients is a Disability Centre selling mobility scooters etc, so got chatting with the guys in the workshops there today, and put the idea to them, Easy they said 'but you must put motor through a gearbox to slow motor down' also I said i need to 'vary' the speed of reel whilst pulling in. So I showed them the reel in Van and they spotted the varistream, 'oh now thats the problem solved right there' we add a switch, to switch varistream from pump to motor whilst reeling in and control motor speed with varistream then switch back to pump water!
Anyway the guys said 'Great Idea, Leave it with us, we may have something for you next time you come round....'

I can have a couple of brackets made, weld onto hose reel bottom cross member and Bobs your uncle.... and run the whole thing from on board leisure battery ( which came off a golf trolley in first place, Brill Battery by the way)

Anyway thats the idea so far...... watch this space guys, will keep you informed if/when we get it working.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated....

Wish me luck.... lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOR-GEARBOX-12-VOLTS-DC-GOLF-TROLLEY-/150771644541?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item231ab0b87d

Lee GLS

Re: Electric Hose Reel.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:39:14 pm »
Aren't pump controllers only rated at 10amps?

C-Thru.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:28 pm »
Now there's something we hadn't thought of.... Thanks Lee, thats why I love this forum, lots of different idea's & suggestions.
Not sure what amps motor & gearbox will draw....

gto

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
buy a second hand drill without battery, run it from 12v battery.
you will have

motor
gearbox
speed controller

Lee GLS

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
Now there's something we hadn't thought of.... Thanks Lee, thats why I love this forum, lots of different idea's & suggestions.
Not sure what amps motor & gearbox will draw....

The one on the link says 23amps.

Scott Dean

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:24:36 am »
Hey all,
Looked into this extensively late last year, the best motor on offer would be an electric scooter motor it has the bracket to bolt down small size and high power output. You would need to attach a large sprocket onto the reel and a bike chain (similar to the cox/ hannay reels) one issue the only motors on offer are 24v, you either run two batteries or source a 12v version but these would need to be bought in bulk from a asian supplier....

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:06:06 pm »
didnt a guy on here the other day make a controller and sell it on ebay ? thats rated higher than 10amps im sure it is.

will go try and find the post.

C thru, great post by the way.

This is the ebay listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300652316538?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1235wt_1396
the guy is g domigis or simlar on here, he posted about the amps being high, maybe it will help :-\
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Deangsi

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:19:20 pm »
this may not have the torque

C-Thru.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »
Great stuff fella's Please keep comments / Idea's coming.... your all helping greatly.

Yes the torque is a problem, but I think a golf caddy should have enough, after all it should never have to work 'too' hard (I Hope, lol) They do pull up-hill OK on a golf course.

Yes most Mobility Scooters do run 24v Motors but not all of them, I'm hoping the guys in the workshop will have a 12v one for me next time I call in next month.

Another issue we have come across is that the motor Must be able to go into 'Neutral' to be able to free wheel the hose out..... But apparently they all have a brake inside that can be removed (lets hope so)

The Varistream might not be strong enough at 10 Amps, so will probably need the electronics also from golf buggy or Mobility Scooter. watch this space....

If and its a big IF we do get this sorted (and its only an experiment at the moment) I will of course add lots of pictures and a Video of this system for you all.....

Once again thanks guys and please keep ideas/comments coming on this one...
Goochie.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »
Great, keep up the good work. :)

Scott Dean

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »
its not the mobility scooter as the motor doesn't free run when the power is switched off, you need the actual ride on scooter or bicycle motor. these have a small sprocket pre-mounted onto the shaft ready to accept your chain which would be attached to your reel.

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
C Thru - any further developments please?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

home6442

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 01:34:48 pm »
What about a caravan mover it has a remote speed control and runs
on 12 volts some cheap used ones on fleebay.

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
They use up a lot of power mind,killed my battery i use for pump,seperate battery charge every couple days and i just used when hose was straight if you no what i mean,uses less power.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 01:26:31 pm »
To be honest, I didn't really feel the need anymore after switching to a Reelworks 460.

ascjim

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 04:42:22 pm »
Sounds good Paul. If you get it up and running give me a shout and ill pop over and take a look :)

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:23 pm »
To be honest, I didn't really feel the need anymore after switching to a Reelworks 460.

Hi Tim

I'm seriously considering going down the route you have taken with a fixed hose reel inside. At the end of the day I'm in agony with my lower back. I'm not sure if the strain of lifting my hose reel in and out of the van and reeling the hose in that is to blame.  I can't believe how much more expensive the manufactured electric hose reels are.

I think that a few have just gone for cordless 2 speed electronic drills with a socket adapter and socket to drive the hose reel manually which is probably the cheapest and less complicated solution. I would have thought a drill/screwdriver combination with an adjustable clutch would be better as it would afford some protection against wrist wip if the hose hooked up somewhere.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

davids3511

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »
The best way to do it is to run two bars across the back of the van, about 8 inches apart. Mount the reel to that. Then weld a frame to hold the drill together. Its quite simple, I will post a pic of mine tomorrow. It holds the drill in place and prevents wrist twisting if the hose snags. Of course all the shock is in the drill then so metal gears is a must. I ran mine like that for a year and the drill is still going strong, just the batteries are a bit dodgy now.

Lee GLS

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 10:19:33 pm »
The best way to do it is to run two bars across the back of the van, about 8 inches apart. Mount the reel to that. Then weld a frame to hold the drill together. Its quite simple, I will post a pic of mine tomorrow. It holds the drill in place and prevents wrist twisting if the hose snags. Of course all the shock is in the drill then so metal gears is a must. I ran mine like that for a year and the drill is still going strong, just the batteries are a bit dodgy now.

i would be interested to see your set up. i currently use a drill but just hold it in my have, but have been looking for a way to fix it in place.

also i run my drill from a 12v car battery, that way you do not have to worry about it going flat, its been that way for 3 years

davids3511

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 10:22:07 pm »
Its very simple Lee, my welding skills are on a par with your average 7 year old. Will post a pic tomorrow.

davids3511

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23:17 pm »

i would be interested to see your set up. i currently use a drill but just hold it in my have, but have been looking for a way to fix it in place.

also i run my drill from a 12v car battery, that way you do not have to worry about it going flat, its been that way for 3 years
How did you wire it up?

Lee GLS

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:53 pm »
i took the batteries out of the drills batter pack and soldered wires on to the connecters that make contact with the drill then run the wires to the car battery and connect with large crocodile clips

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »
we have a socket welded on the hose reel then just put a ele drill in to wind the hose in works very well . also we have a power inverter hocked on to the battry in the back charging the drill battery as we go

Michael Peterson

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »
susan i have just got socket etc, what happens when it snags and stuff?

premier window cleaners

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 07:45:27 pm »
Anyone got any pics of these fittings?
Sounds really interesting

Thanks

davids3511

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 07:50:39 pm »

davids3511

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:49 pm »

premier window cleaners

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »
Looks good thanks
What fittings are they?

davids3511

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »
Looks good thanks
What fittings are they?

It's a 22mm deep socket, a large socket to drill adapter and a standard metal hose reel with the handle removed.

premier window cleaners

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 08:30:33 pm »
Thanks for that Dave, must be the way forward. I'm getting fedup of reeling in hundreds of meters of hose each day!

Lee GLS

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 08:55:02 pm »
Thanks for the pics fave, do you find it better having the reels on the roof?

davids3511

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
Thanks for the pics fave, do you find it better having the reels on the roof?
Yes, much better. I still have floor space for the gutter vac or power washer should I need them.