A Foster

How much water is used in WFP
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:18:03 pm »
Hi everyone.

I am looking at combining WFP into my window round and would like to know how much water is required to clean an average 3 bed semi.

I'm weighing up whether to have van mounted or trolley system, but I'm not sure how long a 25L barrell of water would last. I see that the pumps work up to 5L per minute but do you actually use that much?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Panorama

Re: How much water is used in WFP
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:19:37 pm »
Van mount

VSP Home Care

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:23:48 pm »
If you have the choice a van system is the way to go mate, you can always run a barrel round on a trolley if you need.

25ltr will not last that long, on a maintenance clean possibly, but on a first clean you'll be using a lot of water, probably the whole barrel if it's munting.

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:26:56 pm »
if you want an easy life I would without doubt get a van mount.

Trolley is for a part time round and for odd jobs IMO you cannot have a full time business using a part time tool
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

paul saunders

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »
Van mount

That's not information, That's an opinion .............. a good one though.  ;)

If you use a flow controller, you would probably use about 1-1.5 lpm, I find this is plenty.  
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

DMC Window Cleaners Ltd

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:01 pm »
van mounted alday long you will start to get bigger contracts and taller building and storing 10-20 water barrels in van is a lot more room then a 250-650 ltr tank.

and a baffled tank is a lot safer then 10 or so barrels rolling around van

RO-Sheen

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:07 pm »
Definately a van mount. If you buy a trolley system you will find you will have grown out of it by the summer.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

idealrob

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
Once they are clean, you use little, did my mothers the other day with a backpack, only had 6 litres left to do the job, its a large 5 bedroom, 3 sitting room house, did the lot and still had some water left, and they had not been done for about 6 weeks

idealrob

Halfadaylee

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:37:32 pm »
Some lads start with a trolley or back pack and then in time move to a van mount. (I did)
The humping barrells for 18 months just did me. 1 barrell would do a house plus some of the next
Do what you can afford to do, but do it go water fed. You can awalys upgrade when you have more funds or have got to like this method
Art

sean84

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:15:14 pm »
Definately a van mount. If you buy a trolley system you will find you will have grown out of it by the summer.

On a van mount system is the water purified in the van? Or you purify at home, then pump into the van?

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »
IMO I would have a static tank and not purify in the van. Because if you need say 300 litres you would need to carry 500/600 litres as one would waste half. This large amount of water slopping around in the tank puts a strain on your vans clutch/brakes/suspension  and so on even if the tank is baffled.

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:37:26 pm »
??????????????

thats not how in van RO works .
you connect mains to inlet and get x amount of litres of pure water , you never carry unpure about ?????????

Panorama

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »
Van mount

That's not information, That's an opinion .............. a good one though.  ;)

If you use a flow controller, you would probably use about 1-1.5 lpm, I find this is plenty.  

I stand corrected said the man in the orthopaedic shoes, go van mount don't arse about with barrels . If you were working at a flow rate of 2lts per min you would go through a 25lt barrel in 12.5 minutes, ( back to car for another barrel ) its a no brainer

andrewlefkas

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »
Just to give another viewpoint ,I havnt used van mount only trolly/25l containers ,I find it okay to be honest and can do three samll semis with 25 l or like today been on detached with conservatory and used about 15- 18 l per house . I like to have the use of van for other things to be honest and with my belly the exercise can only be good ;D
I have no worries about tank freezing in cold weather as all containers kept indoors in garage.My round is spread out as well so it wouldnt lend itself to being able to do lots of houses with one stop - id need miles of hose. HOWEVER never say never as i can see how good it could be with compact houses in same street . Some advantages for me with trolly/containers. ;D

kris martin

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:02 pm »
I have a trolley and have had one for four years, most of the time it is out of the van with a barrel but sometimes it is used as a van mount. For the whole of e last week it has just been used as a van mount apart from abot two hours and them two hours was like a blessing, I think it is personal preference to weather a van mount is better me personally prefer the machine out of the van but I think it will depend on the type of work you have. The amount of water you use will depend on how dirty the work is but on general maintenance cleans 25 litres last me about forty minutes

A Foster

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 12:58:47 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

It seems Van mount is favoured, depending on funds for the set up.

The main concern was how much water is needed. I wanted to make sure that you wouldn't have to change a 25L barrel every house.

It seems as though a backpack may still be useful if go for van mount, or like some have said, get a trolley to start with  that can be used as or converted to a van mount.

Appreciated.

Panorama

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:13:49 am »
Just been looking on pure freedom website , a trolley and a DIY van mount are virtually the same price, if youve got a van I would go van mount,  don't get me wrong I'm not knocking trolleys ( I have a backpack myself ) but take a look at dazmonds threads .

johnny bravo

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 12:50:11 pm »
panorama,    just starting to get into wfp cleaning,   im hoping to just clean the tops on my round,  the ones i dont feel comfortable  on ladder , untill i pick it up.    can you advise me on which backpack to purchase and why.  i have a pole and brush, just need to get started,   practice on my own to begin with.

Panorama

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
Hi, I got a John Hewitt esr, holds 18 lts,

Crystal-clear

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »
depending on building size but on average working say 7 hours or so i would make sure you have 400 liters.

first cleans wont last you that long

Panorama

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »
Johnny bravo, if you need any advise feel free to email me, :)

johnny bravo

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »
hi pan,
im new to wfp cleaning, been trad for too long.  i was wondering if you can advize on which way to start now.i will have pole + brush this week.   backpack  trolley  system i dont know yet.  i have an estate car.  mainly to do tops i am not now comfortable doing from ladder.  would i be best trying to build a diy kit. :-[ :-[ cant connect to your email mine is     ts1cleaning@gmail.com

johnny bravo

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:29 pm »
panorama,      my tds  reading is 107    soft water region.    to make pure water  ie   just to start off with a trolley system  to fill a few butts   + store    what would be my list,    waching Wagg   on youtube       he just had a hose to a tap, connect to a di canister inlet     and another hose  from outlet    going into 25litre drums.   is this the procedure for a small set up   from my kitchen   making pure water seems to make my head thump.   not as straight forward   or is it.
cheers    all help taken on board

Panorama

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 08:53:47 pm »
ok , i will email you my phone number, text me back and ill phone you tomorrow

Panorama

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:48 pm »
johnny bravo, i see you are in the north east, i live in hartlepool

wfp master

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 09:00:25 pm »
panorama,      my tds  reading is 107    soft water region.    to make pure water  ie   just to start off with a trolley system  to fill a few butts   + store    what would be my list,    waching Wagg   on youtube       he just had a hose to a tap, connect to a di canister inlet     and another hose  from outlet    going into 25litre drums.   is this the procedure for a small set up   from my kitchen   making pure water seems to make my head thump.   not as straight forward   or is it.
yes connect hose to outside tap then onto d.i. vessel then out. to containers easy as that.

sean84

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 09:39:42 pm »
yes connect hose to outside tap then onto d.i. vessel then out. to containers easy as that.

If you have no outside tap, how do you plumb in the RO system?

Panorama

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
If you have no outside tap , then you'll have to connect to your inside tap

sean84

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:30 am »

Sound, I have a downstairs toilet right next to where I will be putting my RO and water barrells! What fitting do you use to connect to the tap on my sink, anyone have any pics or any links to a site with diagrams on?

gary999

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 10:59:01 am »
personally i think a tank in van for being able to carry a large
amount of water is best if you are looking to both comercial and
residential work

i personally work from an estate it covers my needs of
being able to clean just under 300  domestic customers a month and
i dont use more than 200ltrs a day,i use backpacks because i
couldnt stand microbore and i find overall im quicker.

but once kids have buggered off i will switch back to van and tank
but still will use packs

sean84

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:40 am »
residential work

being able to clean just under 300  domestic customers a month and

but still will use packs

Im in an estate too! Do you have trad gear in there as well? Ive got all my trad gear in there but think im going to struggle to get backpack and water in there. My plan is to fill barrells from RO and only clean tops with wfp and do bottom trad. I know its hard to guess but how much water (25l barrells) would I need to get in the car a day if I average 10, 3 bed houses a day (top windows only)?

steve freeman

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 12:22:33 pm »
ive used 700ltr tucker systems,400 ltr home made and also barrels they all do exactly the same job.

I trialled the barrels in the winter as not to have a van mount all iced up so i could keep the barrels made up. Using microbore hose, 100 psi pump with controller down to no 3 and 11 x 20 lt barrels on a 3 way pipe intake i got 18 x £10 ( 3 bed detached )  houses out of those 11 barrels 

Panorama

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

Sound, I have a downstairs toilet right next to where I will be putting my RO and water barrells! What fitting do you use to connect to the tap on my sink, anyone have any pics or any links to a site with diagrams on?

Sean , I have a out side tap which allows me to use hoselock connecter. Your inside tap will dictate what connection you can use.

gary999

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »
residential work

being able to clean just under 300  domestic customers a month and

but still will use packs

Im in an estate too! Do you have trad gear in there as well? Ive got all my trad gear in there but think im going to struggle to get backpack and water in there. My plan is to fill barrells from RO and only clean tops with wfp and do bottom trad. I know its hard to guess but how much water (25l barrells) would I need to get in the car a day if I average 10, 3 bed houses a day (top windows only)?

i use a passat estate i can fit 8 barrrels and backpack in boot
i carry only the basic of trad tools spare batteries and brushes
in rear passenger area.

i can easily clean 10 3 bed houses ups and downs with wfp
and only squeegee off on the odd problem window i also
carry a di vessel and pipes in car just incase you never know
especially if you have got a couple of first cleans on top of
your normal work.

i imagine if you carry 6 to 8 barrels it will cover your needs
for tops only and as you go on you will find you will be able
to cover more work with the water you carry as you get used to
the system