Stu Wallace

Re: Spotting
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »
Hi ya

Thanks for all the advice I have been on a training course with Impact 43 in MK today and spoke to the guys there about it, and some of them said it just happening on some windows no matter what you do  :( 

And guess what the customer phoned me 30mins ago to say they had spotted again,

So i'm going back tomorrow with fresh water TDS 000 and New Brush and lots of rising until it sheets

Wish me luck!!!  :)

king marko

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »
Gud luck chap let us know how you get on  :)

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:01 pm »
Spotting on the top of glass is not necessarily lime scale as it would wash of quite easy. Its more than likely coming of the wall above the glass.Its is more than likely calcium oxide and heavy metals of the walling. This is much more difficult to remove.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
sum glass will never sheet
its all technique really
as long as youve cleaned all the frames
n rinsed n rinsed they shud be right
if not just get on ya ladder n squeegee em
simples  ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »
HI Stu, I still get spotting on 10-15% of custys and shops, Its difficult to see pics of spots so I have highlighted them on one of my windows that is Hphobic, taken from the inside, this is with 000tds rainwater water 12 hours after drying, the spots size outlines the actual spot from large to small.

Did them late yesterday, so it could be, The frames where painted this summer in and out and are in good nick, the bits hanging down are strings from the rolled up blind. But then I have the same prob for 6 years what ever the weather.That pic is also with an additive to reduce spotting. Just done another section of the same window with a special brush I have to do a side by side comparison- if I can get similar light conditions for the pic.
Just trying to help others so thanks for not riddiculing me. ;D
if the glass only is cleaned and not touching the frames then the spots are still there.The tds readings are correct over a 5 year span.I have covered the window with pvc covers to try to prevent dust ingress but it makes no diff, its the glass surface thats a prob and also for maybe 30 other houses and shops I clean. The dried on spots are also still visible next time I do my round.
Hope this helps Stu  8)

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 07:05:36 pm »
Interesting post Jeff -

Have you tried anything like 'scrubbing' half the window with something like 000 wire wool
and re washed to see if that cures the problem ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

alanwilson

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »
If anyone would actually listen to what I said - don't rinse the very top of the glass where it meets the seal.

Oh I give up
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Smudger

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »
If anyone would actually listen to what I said - don't rinse the very top of the glass where it meets the seal.

Oh I give up

HI Stu, I still get spotting on 10-15% of custys and shops, Its difficult to see pics of spots so I have highlighted them on one of my windows that is Hphobic, taken from the inside, this is with 000tds rainwater water 12 hours after drying, the spots size outlines the actual spot from large to small.

Did them late yesterday, so it could be, The frames where painted this summer in and out and are in good nick, the bits hanging down are strings from the rolled up blind. But then I have the same prob for 6 years what ever the weather.That pic is also with an additive to reduce spotting. Just done another section of the same window with a special brush I have to do a side by side comparison- if I can get similar light conditions for the pic.
Just trying to help others so thanks for not riddiculing me. ;D
if the glass only is cleaned and not touching the frames then the spots are still there.The tds readings are correct over a 5 year span.I have covered the window with pvc covers to try to prevent dust ingress but it makes no diff, its the glass surface thats a prob and also for maybe 30 other houses and shops I clean. The dried on spots are also still visible next time I do my round.
Hope this helps Stu  8)

were listening Alan - !!
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »
Interesting post Jeff -

Have you tried anything like 'scrubbing' half the window with something like 000 wire wool
and re washed to see if that cures the problem ?

Darran
Cheers Darran
Yes, and no it does'nt , if you think it through any coating sinks into the substrate of the glass as its absorbent so polishing it with wire wool wont get deep down. In fact there is nothing in the known universe that will remove silicon from in deep layers of the glass. ?

Smudger

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »
Good point.

So windows that have persistant problems of spotting may have imperfections rather than  being
caused by bad WFP technique....

to the best of my knowledge i dont have any windows that suffer like this - but i have had issues with
wooden frames - a 1st clean with 'raw' oak frames (not paint/varnish) these spotted like crazy - got it right 2nd time
by not touching frame only glass and on occasions wood frames tend to throw out some sort of grease/silicon residue
along the top edge of the glass which i can onlt get off by microfibre cloth.

Darran

Stu Wallace

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 08:54:58 am »
Morning Guys

Thanks for all the advice.

I recleaned the windows yesterday with a brand new brush and freshly filtered water with 000 tds. I had a good look at all the windows before starting to clean them.

Most of the front windows had no major spotting but a most of the rear windows were really bad with spotting all over the glass but the conservatory windows were fine.  So recleaned the rear ones and spent ages rinising and making sure i didn't touch the top frames.

Lucky the customer is very understanding and was very impressed that i was asking you guys about the problem so much so that i got a nice Xmas tip. :)

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 09:02:48 am »
if you ve tried all the techniques and rinsed an inch from the top frame etc,etc and they still spot badly its just easier to trad them windows in future.quicker as well!wfp is a very good tool but sometimes trad is better!!use both!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Poles R Us

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 09:10:19 am »
Hi I have got a problem with a customers windows, Every time i clean them they are left with spotting on them even tho i have now been cleaning them for 12months . I have checked my Water, Brushes etc and i have even take to cleaning them twice each time i go but still get spotting, The house is a village and away from main roads.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Give the frames a good scrub, then rinse well ,that should stop it.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 09:12:56 am »
sounds like hard water marks from either gargen tap & hose or "concrete cancer" from the wall above the glass getting rained on. its not your fault! if your water is 0 ppm and your using a good flow rate brushiung the entire window and rinsing well enough its simply defective glass! ive had no end like this but luckly only 1 custy cancel