Total shine cleaning services

To employ or self employ..?
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:50:57 pm »
I am thinking of taking a mate on to try and expand my business and help him out but have no idea what to pay or how to pay..any advice would be greatly appreciated

CleartechLee

Re: To employ or self employ..?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:53:23 pm »
when i was first employed i was paid alot less until i was upto a "satisfactory level" took about 2months for that to happen

the next pay rise was when i was up the ladder.

Depends on if you know him or not. Personally pay him £40 when hes up to speed then £60 when up a ladder, thats my guess

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »
Was that on the books or u pay your own tax.?

Pope vader

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:02:07 pm »
first of he cant go self employed if you tell him where to work, when to work and then provide the gear to do the job,

the two ways he can go self employed is a parntership in your business,  or he gets his own gear, van  and then you sub the work to him and let him do it at his pace

taxman is clamping down on self employed

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »
Just pay a daily rate then,think I'll talk to my accountant but any more advice on rates of pay,holiday pay,p time or full time please

bobby p

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:27:20 pm »
id say take him on parttime-that way you dont promise full time hours that you cant keep up with

iv 2 parttimers on 16 hours a week max and they work hard as theyre not deadbeat  doing long days . Apply online to HMRC to be a registered employer and they send u a disc to put in ur computer . get employers liability insurance ,u must, its not too pricey for 2 or 3 employees

best decision i ever made taking on workers-although i went thru a few wasters before finding good lads

sparkleglass

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:12 pm »
just pay him a % of what you earn a day you cant lose then  ;D

scud

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
  I wouldn't employ a mate full stop.

Keep business and social life as separate as possible, I will not work for friends/family or neighbours (except me ma, and next door neighbour who hasn't got a water meter!)

sparkleglass

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »
have you got any mates then.. :D

Inside Out

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »
I had this situation a few months back. i sold some work and kept the cream. you have to be careful employing - especially with winter coming up! if you contract somebody and employ them, you will still have to pay a wage if we have another big freeze! 3 weeks last year!

Dougaldum

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 07:27:15 pm »
id say take him on parttime-that way you dont promise full time hours that you cant keep up with

iv 2 parttimers on 16 hours a week max and they work hard as theyre not deadbeat  doing long days . Apply online to HMRC to be a registered employer and they send u a disc to put in ur computer . get employers liability insurance ,u must, its not too pricey for 2 or 3 employees

best decision i ever made taking on workers-although i went thru a few wasters before finding good lads
do you pay their tax or do they pay it  ???

bobby p

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
they are below the tax limit

Inside Out

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »
but youll still hve to give em a wage slip right?

Pope vader

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 07:44:15 pm »
yes

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »
Thanks lads

Dougaldum

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »
but youll still hve to give em a wage slip right?
what about stamp duty ???

AshWhite

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »
I'm no expert, but I remember some friends being employed on '0' hour contracts, so there was no minimum amount of hours they could work in a week.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Dougaldum

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »
they are below the tax limit
sorry about this but how much do you pay to be under tax limit thank;s ???

Pope vader

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »
0 hour contracts,  am sure they tried banning them, will check

these are great for the employer, as they can say have day off no pay,  but a lot of people wont take them,  and if they do  leave when they get a proper job where they are guaranted money, 

if you think you need to employ and want to put them on 0 hour contract,  then you business isnt ready to employ, as if it cant afford to pay some one when the work is quiet  then stay on your own  or get an appretise  only 2.50 ph  proper slave labour

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »
I had this situation a few months back. i sold some work and kept the cream. you have to be careful employing - especially with winter coming up! if you contract somebody and employ them, you will still have to pay a wage if we have another big freeze! 3 weeks last year!

you dont have to pay them.  you can put them on holiday for the period.  also pretty standard to add to their contract that they have to work weekends etc if the business requires it.  so if you cannot work put them on holiday and make them make up the hours on days that are workable.  saying that there was only 1 day we couldnt work last year, but we go out all weathers so long as the equipment will work.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Inside Out

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 08:21:59 pm »
tx limit depends on your tax code. normally around £6500 before you have to pay tax. 125ish per week

Inside Out

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »

you dont have to pay them.  you can put them on holiday for the period.  also pretty standard to add to their contract that they have to work weekends etc if the business requires it.  so if you cannot work put them on holiday and make them make up the hours on days that are workable.  saying that there was only 1 day we couldnt work last year, but we go out all weathers so long as the equipment will work.

i cant imagine you would keep good lads very long if you dictated their hours in this way!? and come winter, do many people have much holiday left after taking normaly a couple of weeks in the summer!?

and as for not working one day only - excuse tone, i hate written conversations, they can come across argumental when they are in no way intended to be - i only didnt work as waorried about ice forming around paths and access to propertys!? how did you manage this problem?

AshWhite

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »
Pope - the 0 hours Grimsby story was about a complaint that had been uphelp about the end of their old contracts, not the start of the new '0' hour contracts.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with them, but if I was desperate I'd rather a 0 hour contract than no job at all. As has been mentioned, staff are unlikely to hang around for long once a better offer comes along.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Pope vader

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »
i know what you are saying,  but it wont be long before some judge says they are illegal and bans them

Dougaldum

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
tx limit depends on your tax code. normally around £6500 before you have to pay tax. 125ish per week
sorry agian who pays stamp duty ???

Pope vader

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »
do you mean national insurance

Pope vader

Dougaldum

Bushboy

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 09:34:41 pm »
I used to employ in my retail business a lot of people ,
I put them on 4 hr contracts with agreement they could do set hours per wk
As over time above the 4 paid at time , I then had them working 16hours a week & more ,
But only had to pay hols entitlement for 4 hours they were contracted ,
I also kept them below the ni threshold as I didn't have to pay ni ,

Had no problems with this , as most kept below certain amount for benefits & wanted this any ways ,

Only then obligated for for 4 hrs contracts , They also had flexibility as well ,

;D

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »

i cant imagine you would keep good lads very long if you dictated their hours in this way!? and come winter, do many people have much holiday left after taking normaly a couple of weeks in the summer!?

and as for not working one day only - excuse tone, i hate written conversations, they can come across argumental when they are in no way intended to be - i only didnt work as waorried about ice forming around paths and access to propertys!? how did you manage this problem?

some people may not be happy having some of their holidays dictated in this way, but as its only a couple of days per year they will just put up with it.  as a small business you just cant afford to pay people not to work.  good employees understand that it goes with the job.

we spray de icer after cleaning when its on a walk way.  didnt get one complaint for this at all and no problems at all.  only one client deferred their clean.  as i said above tho, when you start employing staff, you just cant afford to not work as you loose your profit margins very quickly.  you have to be very sharp on getting your cleans done, and getting everything out of your staff that you need.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Inside Out

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:42 pm »
With like a weed sprayer? Great idea. I thought I would have to have half tonne of rock salt in my van. Thanks for that one!

davids3511

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 11:44:52 pm »

some people may not be happy having some of their holidays dictated in this way, but as its only a couple of days per year they will just put up with it.  as a small business you just cant afford to pay people not to work.  good employees understand that it goes with the job.

we spray de icer after cleaning when its on a walk way.  didnt get one complaint for this at all and no problems at all.  only one client deferred their clean.  as i said above tho, when you start employing staff, you just cant afford to not work as you loose your profit margins very quickly.  you have to be very sharp on getting your cleans done, and getting everything out of your staff that you need.
Do you get the deicer in bulk? If so where do you get it?

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 06:58:33 am »

Do you get the deicer in bulk? If so where do you get it?

just B&Q.  dont need to use a lot
iSparkle Window Cleaning