Paddy Woods

had a fall today!
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
had a fall today  :-[ customer preferred it done trad way 1st house a bit sleepy & put ladder up & did window over front door & in a flash it slid back(i rec a bit of ice on drive) ,i fell like a sack of spuds but lucky didnt break anything but i felt in bits with cuts on hands legs & feet
Ive learn my lesson,from now on i tell custy's the way i do the job or else get someone else  >:(

davids3511

Re: had a fall today!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »
Jeez, lucky you. Glad your ok. What did the custy have to say?

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »
Glad your ok mate, tell the custy what happened and how you will do it from now on
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:57:58 pm »
Did you have to go home and change your underpants?

TomCrowther

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »
It's the best thing that could happen to you Pod. Your not hurt but have learn't a very valuable lesson, don't let the customer put your life or livelyhood at risk.
They don't give two hoots about you, they just want it done how they want it. Similar thing happened to me in Jan 2010 and I don't take the risks now.

Paddy Woods

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:22:34 pm »
No,no change in underwear  :) but I was shaken up I couldn't believe the speed I fell !it was a little porch over front door & just marks on gutter,cushy wasn't in which was good i suppose as i could come round in peace,but shins got most of the hit as stayd on ladder till near end of fall...how easy to b out of work for months just to please custy's who don't really worry to much about our livelihood,happened to any of you guys ??

StockClean

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
I had a close call when i first started up using ladders, most down to me not paying attention to what i was doing.

dave f

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »
WFP. ENOUGH ONLY SAID

bobby p

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:52:49 pm »
i had a ladder slide out this time last year . as you say, its so quick theres no time to react and its really in the lap of the gods as to how you land

i had bruised feet and shins for a fortnight and still have lumps on my shin bones where they almost broke but then knitted back together

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »
once upon a time i too slipped on a ladder, then i went full time wfp. The End.  :)

Paddy Woods

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:24 pm »
Yes gb 100% u say full time! I Was 80% to please some people  :-\ I wonder how many of the 20% would have paid me not doing their windows if I had broken legs ??
There was a slope on this drive but no grass to fall on maybe that's why so sore but thankfully I didn't go through rungs etc

George P

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 10:19:52 pm »
had a fall today   customer preferred it done trad way

exactly like my mate, didnt want to lose the customer, glad your ok, he was lucky too, his brother broke his fall, a couple of inches across and he would have been over a wall with legs one side an head ther other  - definatly a recipe for a broken back, all to try and help the customer, please remember we know our job better than the customer and its our desicion and  not thieres on what way we see as best,

Jimmy Jon

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30:51 pm »
Get one of these ladder stability devices - one of the best safety gadgets i've ever bought - highly recommended if you use ladders all day or just for 5 minutes

http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/Titan-Base-Mate.html

hope your ok!  :)

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »
Yes gb 100% u say full time! I Was 80% to please some people  :-\ I wonder how many of the 20% would have paid me not doing their windows if I had broken legs ??
There was a slope on this drive but no grass to fall on maybe that's why so sore but thankfully I didn't go through rungs etc
dude, dont let customers dictate your business to you, tell them what you do 'simples' if they dont like it, find someone else, there are way more customers than there are window cleaners.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Scrimble

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 12:00:43 am »
Get one of these ladder stability devices - one of the best safety gadgets i've ever bought - highly recommended if you use ladders all day or just for 5 minutes

thats not gonna stop the ladder from slipping,

you should decide the method of cleaning the windows not the customer,

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 12:29:02 am »
I law says if you have a safer method you by law must use it. And there is a safer method. I rest my case.

EandM

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:35 am »
Went WFP six years ago for this very reason. Work very carefully now as at 42 I don't bounce as well as I used to. Went for a walk on Sunday, fell about seven feet over a stile and ended up in Hospital. On crutches now, nothing broken and hope to be back to work on Monday. Moral of the story:

WFP = Good

Too many things on your mind and Time & Unforseen Occurance = Bad

:-[

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 04:32:11 am »
No,no change in underwear  :) but I was shaken up I couldn't believe the speed I fell !it was a little porch over front door & just marks on gutter,cushy wasn't in which was good i suppose as i could come round in peace,but shins got most of the hit as stayd on ladder till near end of fall...how easy to b out of work for months just to please custy's who don't really worry to much about our livelihood,happened to any of you guys ??

I had a couple of near misses quite a while before getting WFP.  It's astonishing how quickly it can slip away.  I do know a (former) windy who ended up retiring in his early 40s due to a head injury coming off a ladder  It happened half a mile from where I live.  I didn't see it but apparently he was lucky to live as the blood from a head wound ran into the gutter.  He carried on after making a sort of recovery but it slowed him down mentally and physically.  His speech became very slow.  He eventually quit.
I had a potential customer who insisted on trad as she wanted me to make sure the sills were properly clean.  I immediately withdrew my quotation and declined to quote.  I told her why too.

Avo

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 08:04:51 am »
I saw two young lads no more than 18yrs old cleaning a house last year... one was on the ground floor windows and his mate was on the above window with the ladder extended over the lower roof.. Next thing I hear is the ladders banging and as I looked round i see him falling off the lower roof trying to grab something to stop the fall he grabs the gutter and rips it straight off (no joke) he gets up dusts himself off and carried on.

H S and Son

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:19 am »
Went WFP six years ago for this very reason. Work very carefully now as at 42 I don't bounce as well as I used to. Went for a walk on Sunday, fell about seven feet over a stile and ended up in Hospital. On crutches now, nothing broken and hope to be back to work on Monday. Moral of the story:

WFP = Good

A seven foot stile? Where were you, Bechers Brook?

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35:07 am »
Good that you escaped without serious injury, in the end you are the professional not the custy do the job your way that keeps you safe.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

EandM

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 10:08:11 am »

WFP = Good

A seven foot stile? Where were you, Bechers Brook?

Normal height stile that the ground drops away from so ended up in the ditch!

Jimmy Jon

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:27 pm »

thats not gonna stop the ladder from slipping,

Yes it would, You got one have you? I'd rather use a safety device than nothing at all

Dave66

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »
there was a guy not too far away from me fell, went into a coma then died a week later...

not worth dying to clean a window is it..   :-\
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

boshravie

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »

Here is the Video  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA4TT_Ekhik&feature=related

bobby p

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:28 pm »

i like the way the feet flip down to become spikes . 

Here is the Video  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA4TT_Ekhik&feature=related

A@R WINDOWCLEANING

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 08:30:18 am »
i got rid of about 10 custys that were just old school , ,£10 ,£20 £30 not worth  your legs or even your life . glad your ok !

Window Washers

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:18 am »
i got rid of about 10 custys that were just old school , ,£10 ,£20 £30 not worth  your legs or even your life . glad your ok !
this is an honest post, clearly you value your life.

I think a lot of the time people just dont want to do something that takes them out of their comfort zone it's a little like putting up prices it's something many don't like to do because of fear they have built up around it.

If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

zimzam

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 09:00:22 am »
I law says if you have a safer method you by law must use it. And there is a safer method. I rest my case.
rest your case, close it then take it with you.if it was that simple then no one would be using ladders.yet there are still more windys using ladders than wfp.safer or not.

LHill

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 10:51:12 am »
I saw two young lads no more than 18yrs old cleaning a house last year... one was on the ground floor windows and his mate was on the above window with the ladder extended over the lower roof.. Next thing I hear is the ladders banging and as I looked round i see him falling off the lower roof trying to grab something to stop the fall he grabs the gutter and rips it straight off (no joke) he gets up dusts himself off and carried on.

This happened to me but the gutter saved me.. :D

Although I did get a wet leg.

rosskesava

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 12:59:10 pm »
I'm both wfp and trad although the trad bit is mainly for ground floor work but I do clean out gutters, etc, from time to time but before that, I was 100% trad.

I must be odd because while using ladders day in and day out I never had a fall or even a near miss. I always use A frame ladders with articulated rubber feet. I'm not saying accidents cannot happen but in all honesty, not noticing an icy footpath? I find that incredible. The first thing I always check is the surface on which the ladder feet go and I don't understand ladder users who do not use large rubber feet. They only cost £25.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Londoner

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 10:18:14 am »
Its only a job at the end of the day FFS. Some of the posts we have had on here in the past you would think we were calling peoples manhood into question.

mike roberts

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 11:03:54 am »
glad ur ok read link below ... most accidents from ladders below 2m - still if you can avoid ladder work safer method use it !!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/10/21/worker-bleeds-to-death-after-falling-off-ladder-in-luton-115875-23503400/

Poor Bt*****

EandM

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 12:58:44 am »
7 Days and I'm still on crutches!

Let this be warning to all and sundry.

Even though I wasn't on a ladder, or at work, or indeed window cleaning  :'(