Dean payne

having a Landline is it important?
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:02 am »
hi guys
I do have a landline at the moment, but i am moving soon and will be cancelling this number i have, not sure when i move to new address weather to have another landline or not?

Is it really important, do any of you just have a mobile? I mean these days people tend to use mbiles more.

some feedback please as i cant make my mind up weather to just have a mobile.

rah

Re: having a Landline is it important?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:49 am »
I've just been contemplating the same thing, though I'm not moving and felt it was better to have one. I always feel put off when i see a van/ad with just a mobile number.

Just my thoughts.

Rob.
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

Wc Solutions

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:27 am »
you would be suprised how many people do still ring the landline numbers.

i have a few older customers that think they cant ring a mobile number as they dont have a mobile phone.

on the flip side of all this its also very handy to have a mobile that has emails, mainly commercial side of things.

not my view but some customers see you as a fly by night type tradesman if only having a mobile number.

Dean payne

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
well i have a web site, as well. my current landline will stop on 31st oct as thats when im moving, then i probs get another line put in when im settled, just find it pretty expensive landline , mind you im with bt. with broudband my bt bill is about £45-£50 per month. I wanted to find out on here if i need a landline as could do without the expense.

i have a sign wriiten van with grapthics, and website on it, land line and mobile, so it dont look like a fly by night with the van, when i move i was just going to get another mobile pay as go to replace the landline number on van.

Pure Glass

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
Most of my custies ring the landline and then the missus passes on the messages to me

I think a lot of people have free calls to landlines and prefer to try that method first. We give the perception that the landline is the 'office' and the mobile is to speak to me direct

Think it gives the customer a bit more confidence in your professionalism

Steve

Pope vader

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:13:57 am »
would you trust a bloke who you could only get hold of by a mobile no

SPE

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:19:54 pm »
I have a landline at the moment but dont advertise it and only have one elderly customer who prefers to use it (although recently she has bought a mobile and rang me last week on my mobile number - bless she's 92 !) and only gave it to her as she asked.
I dont want to be disturbed on my landline with work of an evening or trawl through loads of answerphone messages plus its not strictly a business number, I have a work mobile and a personal mobile.
I recently had one new customer choose me from the directory because I had a mobile number (I know I could have had both) and they wanted to contact me straight away, they said they picked me out of the list for that reason and no other.
So in my opinion it really does'nt matter.
I suppose to some people it seems more trustworthy to have a landline but I've never really understood why, the number could still be ex directory.
If I were to need a tradesman I would always ring their mobile, more likely to get through to them straight away or replied to quicker, we dont work from home afterall  ;)

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:02 pm »
we give customers both landline & mobile and they very rarely ring the mobile always the landline ( office )

after a little chat with an advertising ad man we have taken the mobile no. off flyers - landline only as the phone is answered with a proper greeting and i don't have to stop mid wash, look for a pen paper etc...

people round here like to know you are local and can id you from the first 3 digits of your landline no.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »
People like local ... thats what a customer of mine once told me.

I must admit i dont answer my work landline at home - just leave it to answer machine and forget to check messages. That reminds me i must get a better phone - one i can switch to mute and has an easier answer machine to use (knowing my luck i'd leave it on mute forever)

I have a home landline and a work landline - the work one i can take with me wherever i move to, so i'll never loose that number
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

supernova77

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:44 pm »
I have a landline number that diverts straight to my mobile (www.sipgate.co.uk).

Andy

Erithwc

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:27:43 pm »
i have a virtual landline that goes straight to my mobile cost about £7-8 per month from the http://www.the0800numbercompany.co.uk/default.aspx

great company can't fault them

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »
mobile only for me.im hardly ever at home anyway esp now my girlfriends started chemo.(she has her own flat like me).

never had a problem with mobile only.its on all business cards and side of van.work comes in every week.i have a voicemail message and ive got a smartphone so i can check emails.

ive never had a landline number ever.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

bobby p

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »
ive had just a mobile since i started 3 yrs back.  never had a problem.if somebody REALLY wants a cleaner they will ring it

taylored

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »
try numbergroup.com if you need a landline to mobile. takes 5 min to set up.   

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »
you can buy geographical numbers for your mobile now anyway
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Dean payne

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:10 am »

i just called them, you can have an 0800 or local number without the need to have a landline in your home, perfect! never miss a call. just will have to change the number on my van when i move and new leaflets needed.

i have a virtual landline that goes straight to my mobile cost about £7-8 per month from the http://www.the0800numbercompany.co.uk/default.aspx

great company can't fault them

Mist A Bit

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:01 am »
i use landline number on my leaflets as it produced more sucsess and looks more proffesional.

Justen Uff

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 12:15:26 pm »
I use landline number but I'm never in unless its raining which is most days but my landline answerphone gives my mobile but most just leave a message, commercials are the only ones who then ring the mobile

Johnny B

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »
I no longer have a landline number, but my flyers have my home address and mobile number on them, so at least I make it known that I am local.

I used to think that a landline number was important, but it seems as if it doesn't really matter. Most of my incoming calls are from mobiles. An added bonus for those who share the same network as me is that they get free calls!  :)

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »
agree it just screams pikey

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »
I no longer have a landline number, but my flyers have my home address and mobile number on them, so at least I make it known that I am local.

I used to think that a landline number was important, but it seems as if it doesn't really matter. Most of my incoming calls are from mobiles. An added bonus for those who share the same network as me is that they get free calls!  :)

John.
maybe but i would say having your address on the flyer makes a big difference

Johnny B

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »
I agree. I  definitely wouldn't feel so sure about the lack of a landline without stating my address.

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 07:31:54 am »
agree it just screams pikey

+1

Jamie Williams

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 07:51:48 am »
You can always get a 0800 freephone number which looks good and can be diverted to your mobile only about £5-£10 per month works a treat  :) :)

Jonny D

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 12:50:59 am »
so what do you think would work better then a 0800 number or a local number?

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »
local number 0800 is another great pikey trick

Dave.

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 10:45:22 am »
I've got an internet line which plugs into any router, and has a local area code. I got fed up with people ringing late at night, that phone is in my home office and after 8pm they get to speak to my answerphone.

Also got an 0808 (new 0800) line but don't use it at the mo,

Jamie Williams

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 10:48:32 am »
think both are good but if your out all day your landline would be useless ye i have also had that at 11.00 o clock at night through the landline and you never know whether it is going to be personal or business call on your landline not to sure how an 0800 is another pikey trick ?? they prob dont have the brains to get 1

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »
come have a drive by any caravan site mate
0800 number with a mobile on plenty of the vans down there mate
nowt wrong with 0800 IF its backed up with an address or a landline

Jamie Williams

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
also lots if big companies use freephone numbers as customers prefer to ring as does not cost of course back it up with website and address etc common sense

jimmyn

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 02:03:47 pm »
Hi guys,

For those who are moving premises it is possible to take your number with you wherever you are moving to even if BT say you can't. Also have you thought about a virtual PA? After 6 calls can be diverted to a virtual PA and they only charge for the calls they answer. Better still they answer all calls 24/7/365. If you are interested in any of this please PM me

Best

James

StockClean

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 07:53:02 pm »
Hi Chaps!

We have two landline numbers, both local to the geograhics we work. This gives the impression we are a more credible business than the others, and have more than one area operating.

I use a company called voiptalk. For a small monthly fee per number i can add as many geograhic landline numbers as i like, all pointing to a virtual voicemail syatem which e-mails voicemail messages to my blackberry and office computers.

The numbers are on all our advertisments, invoices, and website. Customer calls up and they leave a message and I get it no mater where I am at no cost to me.

The advantages to this is that you avoid the telemarketing companies all trying to sell you stuff, and you never miss out on customer enqiries.

www.stockclean.co.uk

Jonny D

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:56 am »
how much is the low monthly fee you pay because the lowest fee I seen was £25 a month. I could get an extra phone line with an answer machine put in for less than that.

StockClean

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 08:56:15 am »
I pay about £4.69 a month, I dont know if you are getting mixed up with a hosted switchboard, as they also do that and its expensive.