Neil Grainger

Cold Water or Hot Water Cleaning
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:30:52 pm »
HI all

Would like to get your thoughts on whether Cold Water Cleaning will have any differnet results to cleaning with Hot Water.

On another forum they are trying to say that Coldwater using M Power works better than using hot water with M Power or detergents.

Does anyone have any views on this as i think that the views being aired are somewhat staged.

lands

Re: Cold Water or Hot Water Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:34:33 pm »
Neil,

Something I learnt from Doug H. The molecules in hot water have more energy so they move around quicker. Nuff said I think. Hot water is better during pre-spray and extraction certainlky on detergents anyway (not used M power so not qualified to comment) but does sound a bit staged to me too.

Pete

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:34:58 pm »
Do you bathe in cold water.This has been done before obviously their machine does not have a heater so they brainwash people into thinking cold water is better

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:53:58 pm »
After many years of using Woolsafe microsplitters with a warm to hot rinse, I've recently been experimenting a little.

I've used Liquid One Clean and Ecogent as cold water rinses with various pre-treatments and they've performed perfectly.

Ecogent is designed to work in cold water, can be used as a pre-spray, rinse and a spotter. I've used it as directed on various stains including filter soiling, all with excellent results. I've also used it for maintenance bonnet cleaning and it performed as good as the competition. All of this with cold water.

Although MS's only require a freshwater rinse, I had some REALLY greasy polyprop to clean (chinese student let), so I used Prochem Citra-Boost. This type of product is not free rinsing, hence the need for a detergent rinse. I still rinsed cold and the results were stunning. I now adopt this practice for all extreme greasy soiling. I'm not sure of the overall Eco-Credentials but I'm using a Woolsafe, food grade product boosted by a citrus derived booster and a highly acclaimed green rinse agent all using "carbon friendly" cold water. And the whole package works extremely well. I can't detect any difference between a hot or cold pre-spray.

Now, if my business was focused more on the hospitality sector, with constantly high levels of soiling, and I wanted to reduce time on the job by just pre-spraying and rinsing (not uncommon with T/M power) then my practice would fail miserably. Cold water rinsing needs to be supported by high levels of agitation.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 08:03:29 pm »
As a postcript to my above post, you may liken our procedures to laundering. If you have excessive dry particulate, eg sawdust, plasterdust etc. etc. on your clothes you will shake this off first. The washing stage is a pre-soak folowed by agitation (drum rotating). It is then rinsed with fresh cold water to remove the soil and detergent residues.  Some may choose to add a fabric conditioner to the final rinse, but this is not part of the cleaning process.

I was recently informed that some European countries launder totally in cold water with detergents formulated for that purpose.

You will also rinse your car/van/motorbike with cold water. Wash your bath or shower WC and basin and you will rinse with cold water. Most of our spot and stain removers are used cold. The list goes on and on.......

Although I can detergent free clean most carpets with cold water, I think it would be fairer to discus cold water rinsing rather than cold water cleaning.

Safe and happy rinsing:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

elliott cleaning

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:10:12 pm »
Ken
You are correct in saying that we rinse our laundry in cold water.
But prior to agitating our laundry is heated with the detergent 'prespray'.  Often to 40 or 60 degrees & if really filthy to 90 degrees. 
Does your theory therefore require us to prespray the really dirty carpets at 90 degrees?

Neil Grainger

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:15:54 pm »
I can always really on this site for an open view about subjects. I am going to give it a try when I can and see what results i can get from it.

Thanks for the reply's

Neil

stevegunn

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:18:41 pm »
What's the truth about hot water?

Most cleaners state with strong opinion that hotter chemicals clean better. Cleaning solutions are more active when hot. That's the key. 

When cleaning virtually any surface - from carpet to dishes to automobiles and more - adding heat to the cleaning solution makes the cleaning agent more active.

What that does to soils... your experience tells you the answer to that.

Yes, you can clean clothes at home in cold water and get great results, but think about how much dwell time those clothes have in a detergent solution. Think of how much agitation they receive in the washing machine.

With carpet, 10-15 minutes preconditioning dwell time is about all you can expect.

And agitation is often not a big part of the cleaning system. Many cleaners depend on the high pressure of their cleaning machines and cleaning tool movement to be the "agitation". Of course, using a power cleaning tool with any type of cleaning system is an advantage.

There's nothing wrong with that as long as they have good chemicals, time for them to work, and HEAT.

Taken from cleanpros online full report use link above

Neil Grainger

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 08:29:16 pm »
Steve

I dare you to post this on the other forum ;D  I do feel that HOT is the Way but some say it work, so I will give it a try when I have some time.

Cheers Steve the cleanpro site ss good and gives out a lot of useful information.

stevegunn

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 08:32:39 pm »
Steve

I dare you to post this on the other forum ;D  I do feel that HOT is the Way but some say it work, so I will give it a try when I have some time.

Cheers Steve the cleanpro site ss good and gives out a lot of useful information.

Love too but I'm banned ::)

Fresh Clean

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 08:34:45 pm »
also, hot water opens fibres in order for the dirt/soil to be released.  freshi

lands

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 08:35:18 pm »
I'm not ;D

Will they ban me if I do?

stevegunn

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 08:37:49 pm »
I'm not ;D

Will they ban me if I do?

Probably

lands

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 08:38:43 pm »
Thats made me think of something Freshi. Everything expands when exposed to heat (not including burning of course) to a lesser or greater degree so the fibres will do so and as would the soil creating a loosening affect surely.

Wheres Doug H. I bet he could wrap this one up in one sentence and post of the "other side" and get the respect of the "hallowed ones"

lands

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 08:40:05 pm »
Steve you had any of my emails last few days re those T&C's for hiring?

stevegunn

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 08:57:30 pm »
Steve you had any of my emails last few days re those T&C's for hiring?

No :'(

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:22 pm »
I pre vac and aggitate but I always rinse with hot water because it rinses better.Think about this, if you do a rinse with just plain water surely hot water will rinse better than cold water also part of the clean is the drying and as hot water evaporates quicker and as hot water is more active you will use less and have quicker drying items.

The downside of heat is in the wrong hands it can be leathal and that is one of things that cold water cleaners are playing on.

I'd hate to be at that cross roads where you saw a carpet and you thought to yourself is it dirty or is it a bit more? then clean it with cold water and find out you needed the heat. In our business consistancy is the key word, consistancy of clean, consistancy of marketing, consistancy of turning up on time etc.

Shaun

The consistancy of being careful is another and as professionals we should always have this in mind.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 09:11:10 pm »
Do you bathe in cold water.This has been done before obviously their machine does not have a heater so they brainwash people into thinking cold water is better

I agree with this comment, you get better results washing dirty hands in warm water than cold, that is a fact.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

lands

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 09:15:26 pm »
Problems with my outbox. Basically the T&C's he had were just about returning machine in condition it was hired and I guessed you wanted more stuff based around "we don't accept responsibility for damage to carpets etc."

Pete