Kevin Miller

Where do you place your pressure washer?
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
I know a lot of you guys have your pressure washer truck mounted, however for those of us who still push and pull our machines off and on our vans where do you place your machines.
The reason I ask is because I want to know, are you allowed your machines to be on a public footpath legally or is this a stupid question. Obviously I know insurance goes without saying but just wondering if the pressure washer has to be on the property your cleaning or can it be kept on a pavement.
Also those of you who have your machines truck mounted do you cordon of your truck so people don't accidentally on purpose fall over your hoses lol
Cheers
Kev

Smudger

Re: Where do you place your pressure washer?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
Most of the time I can find a spot in the garden, or rear garden while doing a drive, or on the drive if doing rear patio. On occasion I've parked it in the road by the front of the van with a cone or two.

I think blocking a pavement will bring problems, or at the very least a bad reputation in the road

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Rob_Mac

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »
Kevin

If you put an obstacle on a public walkway or highway there is always the potential for someone to fall over it or purposely have an 'accident' - that will eventually cost you (no blame, no claim).

If you put your machine on display there is always the opportunity that some 'scouser/Crosby' sort will want to borrow it.

Think about how you set up. If you have to run a hose over a walkway stick a couple of cones out to highlight the obstacle. Can you not park on the drives and shuffle around when you need to do the area where the van is parked.

Rob ;D

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »
Mine lives at the side door of the van and is setup ready to go as soon as i get to a job, i can either have the hose's coming out the side or rear door depending on the job and tend to park in a way to keep the hose's out of peoples way but have a couple of cones as well.
Try leaving the machine in the van and you will save yourself loads of time and hassle.

Kevin Miller

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »
Cheers for the response guys. Yeah at the moment I've always found a spot on the property and gone from there. But there has been a couple of drives where I've thought it would be so much easier for me to leave the machine on the pavement there never having the need to move my machine or bin during the clean

Kenny83

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 10:02:54 pm »
I have a couple of 'caution wet floor' metal signs that I place by the hoses, I do have a very heavy duty hose ramp in the garage which I keep meaning to throw in the van once I've created a space for it, it weighs an absolute tonne though as it's about 1.5 meters long by 1 meter wide and 15 cm thick and it's solid rubber!
 ;D
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:51 am »
I used To test the outside tap flow rate if it was high enough I would postion my machine right next to the tap and directly connect it, if the flow was low I would put my  wheelybin next to the tap and the pressure washer next to that.

Why put it miles away from the tap you just need to run out more hosepipe
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Neil Jones

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:47 am »
You could say why put your machine next to the tap tho, you have to push your machine miles away to the tap, up steps, down steps, round corners.

Swings and roundabouts me thinks. I just run from the side door of the van straight from the water tank. If you put signs up most people are fine with that and just cross the road or walk round your van, the majority of people who have common sense realise people have to have work done and sometimes that means taking up part of the pavement for a few hours.