domestic bliss

When to take on staff!
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:59:29 pm »
Apologies if you have covered this subject allready.
I have been cleaning houses on my own for 2 years i currently work within school hours as i have kids.
I have as much work as i can handle and i have a member of the family helping me 1 day a week for 5 hours she helps me get 2 big houses done in that day.  Problem is that i am unable to fit in one off cleans etc as i am to busy obviously i am missing out but i cannot afford to afford another person doing the same hours as me as i will end up taking a drop in wages untill i get more work in.
So really i am in a bit of a dilemma.  When did you start taking on staff and did you just give them a few hours here and there.
If i get extra work i can't do it untill i have more staff and if i have more staff i have to get the extra work and how do i afford extra staff if i have a quiet time???? ???

busydaffodil

Re: When to take on staff!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:39:22 pm »
You have sort of answered your own question.    If your unable to take a cut in hours/wages by employing someone until more work comes in, then your in a difficult situation.

Realistically, you will need to cover wages, extra insurances, any PAYE employer contributions, etc.   There are all the Health & Safety issues to look into & then you have 3 or 4 weeks per year paid holidays to cover.   Additionally, you also need to employ someone trustworthy & reliable - an unsuitable member of staff can do your business more harm than good.

I have opted to stay as I am though I could easily expand.  (recently gave up 1 of my businesses as I just didnt want the stress or work).  I choose NOT to take on more staff.  I choose not to expand my business more.    If I could do less, I would!  In my opinion, life isnt about how much money we earn, its just something we do to earn some money to allow us to enjoy the rest of our life.

Think carefully before you make any big decisions.   

GOOD LUCK

dustdees

Re: When to take on staff!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:15:43 pm »
Mel,

Just a thought for you.
The way I work is with a partner , so once I have a round built up in an area then I look for another member of staff to cover those houses on her own, then I can work on finding new work, and gathering up another round for another member ioff staff.
It work for me but I am very fussy on staff that I take on now becasue I have had so many disapointments in the past, (as we all have!!!). Again it's another lesson learned in the daily life of a company proprietor!!!!!

If you operate a company which has less thar five employee/member of staff , you are under no legal obligation to provide and H & S materials etc..  (Now then he come the big boys with their answers I expect!)

I telephone them for information in the early days and they did advise that you take all the H +S advice you can but then they explained about the 5 employee rule!!

Good Luck

Denise xx