simon mottram

micro splitter or in tank detergent
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:33:27 pm »
hi everbody iv been experimenting with using microsplitters and a fresh water rinse after using just in tank detergentets in the past , sometimes i get great results using microsplitters but others not so good, has anybody else experimented with microsplitters and gone back to detergents in tank  or vise versa any feedback would be very wellcome .

jim mca

Re: micro splitter or in tank detergent
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »
What are you using to agitate and what micro splitters have you tried

simon mottram

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:25:42 pm »
spm and use floormac

steve prince

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:21:08 pm »
Micro splitters need a lot of agitation to work to there best!
Spm is a very good product and one I use a lot.
Have you tried adding a booster to it? i,e orange x or some thing similar ?
It can make a great difference  quite often

Steve

simon mottram

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:59:19 pm »
Do u prefer them to in tank detergents

jim mca

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:02 pm »
Simon

I prefer splitters and use a flexi5, Duo or Oreck for agitation I use a selection wool x, pure clean, heavy duty, SPM and DFC105 on mingers if I don't think after agitation I am getting the result I want then I add some extract x or formula 90 to the rinse if you try this with SPM then use plenty of de-foamer     

wayne zabel

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:32 pm »
I have never used in tank detergents on their own without pre spraying first.

I have always followed the rule of Prespray,aggitate,rinse.

Would/do in tank detergents on their own get a dirty carpet clean?

I'm wondering how when they are only in contact with the fibres for a few seconds

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:26:01 am »
Until a few years ago they were all we had to work with. Most carpet was done that way except real mingers when we put a traffic lane cleaner down first with a bit of a scrub. Then 'rinse' with in tank detergent. Pubs etc were always a bit of a nightmare, so we used a high (14.5) pH prespray and a strong acid rinse.
Now with the modern type of prespray things are much easier and better, leaving the carpet clean with no residue worth mentioning.
Some of the old stuff was pretty horrendous.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:16 am »
Until a few years ago they were all we had to work with. Most carpet was done that way except real mingers when we put a traffic lane cleaner down first with a bit of a scrub. Then 'rinse' with in tank detergent. Pubs etc were always a bit of a nightmare, so we used a high (14.5) pH prespray and a strong acid rinse.
Now with the modern type of prespray things are much easier and better, leaving the carpet clean with no residue worth mentioning.
Some of the old stuff was pretty horrendous.

14.5 PH Are you sure ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

john martin

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:30:33 pm »

Still dont get the logic behind the reasons why people would choose the ' microsplitters ' over the better detergent products available like formula90 or ultimate master  .

From a bit of digging , the term ' Micro splitting ' is pretty much a made up nonsense word by German Günter Glöckner in the early 90s when he was trying to describe soil dispersion , and he was just trying to flog a cleaning product being pushed by a bankrupt american .

Remember micro splitter its just phosphate  , a common ingredient in more complex detergent mixes like ultimate master ... lately sodium carbonate ( washing soda ) seems to have been awarded the microsplitter title as well .

You guys are just making life harder for yourself using 'microsplitter '    .  It contains no wetting agent so u have to agitate and dwell more  .  You dont get the results you want on dirtier carpets so you try and improve it by adding orange-x ( di limonine solvent which the likes of formula90 already contains )  or various boosters which is just making into more complex detergent product .

The MS products only benefit the manufacturer IMO ... as its likely cheap as chips to produce .

Steve9

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:10:42 pm »
Totally agree with John Martin. Don't believe the hype...

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »
... as its likely cheap as chips to produce .

Amazingly!

steve prince

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 04:28:12 pm »

Still dont get the logic behind the reasons why people would choose the ' microsplitters ' over the better detergent products available like formula90 or ultimate master  .

From a bit of digging , the term ' Micro splitting ' is pretty much a made up nonsense word by German Günter Glöckner in the early 90s when he was trying to describe soil dispersion , and he was just trying to flog a cleaning product being pushed by a bankrupt american .

Remember micro splitter its just phosphate  , a common ingredient in more complex detergent mixes like ultimate master ... lately sodium carbonate ( washing soda ) seems to have been awarded the microsplitter title as well .

You guys are just making life harder for yourself using 'microsplitter '    .  It contains no wetting agent so u have to agitate and dwell more  .  You dont get the results you want on dirtier carpets so you try and improve it by adding orange-x ( di limonine solvent which the likes of formula90 already contains )  or various boosters which is just making into more complex detergent product .

The MS products only benefit the manufacturer IMO ... as its likely cheap as chips to produce .
I use spm amongst others
and I Don't need any thing other than water in the tank !

Steve Chapman

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:44:12 pm »
It always make me smile when some say that microsplitters work well but you have to agitate them well !

Why would opt for something that requires more work, that don't make sense !

I used them for a while when they first came out & soon went back to powerburst, You just can't compare the two !

Still, maybe some just like the extra exercise   ;D

Steve

steve prince

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »
I use a tm4 which makes it easy so I don't spend anymore time than is required .
Power burst doesn't even get used these days

john martin

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02:09 pm »

I use spm amongst others

Im not knocking your methods in particular Steve and there are lots of ways to get a good result .  What im getting at is  , what is the benefit to you in using the MS marketed products if the more complex cleaning  products can achieve the same or better results with less effort in more situations .
It a bit like heat ... you dont absolutely need hot water  , but it will speed a chemical reaction and get u the result with less effort in many situations ,  likewise you dont absolutely need several ingredients in your cleaning product  , but they are put there for a reason  , to speed up and improve the cleaning result .

BTW .   SPM has washing soda and bleach in it so it have deviated away from the other MS products that just contain phosphate  ...  so its almost a proper detergent  , not quite    :)

simon mottram

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:06 pm »
very tempted to try formula 90 powder, couple of questions is it safe on wool?,    is it best to use it in tank  or as a prespray?

steve prince

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »

I use spm amongst others

Im not knocking your methods in particular Steve and there are lots of ways to get a good result .  What im getting at is  , what is the benefit to you in using the MS marketed products if the more complex cleaning  products can achieve the same or better results with less effort in more situations .
It a bit like heat ... you dont absolutely need hot water  , but it will speed a chemical reaction and get u the result with less effort in many situations ,  likewise you dont absolutely need several ingredients in your cleaning product  , but they are put there for a reason  , to speed up and improve the cleaning result .

BTW .   SPM has washing soda and bleach in it so it have deviated away from the other MS products that just contain phosphate  ...  so its almost a proper detergent  , not quite    :)

I totally understand what your getting at  john .
And yes you are right with spm, it's just I find it works really well in most cases.
What is your main pre spray then john ?
Steve

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 06:18:47 pm »
Mixed with hot water then put it in your tank. Can also be used effectively as a pre-spray but its been designed as an in tank detergent.

Yes wool safe.

simon mottram

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »
is it simular to prochem crystal green or more advanced than that?