MAX Carpets

Scorpian as TM question
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »
Hi Guys

Quick question. If you run a Scorpain as a T/M using the Scorpian water tanks from Soloutions, how does the water travel from the clean water tank? And how about extension cables for the power, would you need one for each cable to avoid tripping, or could a multi plug extension be used? I only ask as I have brought a scorpian as a back up and am pondering setting it up in another van.

Cheers

Justin

john martin

Re: Scorpian as TM question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:03:50 pm »
You can see the pump feeder hose in this pic ... its just placed into the water tank , hes extended the length a bit ...  pump should prime from there .
( actually should have the  two pump hoses going in there ... or else thats the return and the feed is from the tank side we cant see ? )

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb398/Big-J-Boy/Trailer%20Mount/?action=view&current=IMG_0949.jpg

Its best to use two cords ... you could get by with one extension lead for a short time ... the switch wont trip .. but the plug on the extension lead will get hot

would be best to buy a roll of 2.5mm three core and make two extension leads .

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/cables-accessories_flexes_artic-flex_3-core-2-5mm-blue-artic-flex.html

I would get the tanks fixed on a frame like in pic ... nothing worse than these things sliding around the van

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:22 pm »
Please don't try and run both lines from one extension, or in other words 3 vacs and a pump on the same line, because the 13 amp cable will overheat. So you will need 2 extension leads preferable plugged into the property at 2 different sockets.
Also totally unreel the reels because otherwise heat builds up on the winding.

Glynn

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
Why on earth would you want to run a portly from the van ?, reducing its limited performance even further.
Regards
Glynn

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »
That's what I was thinking, plus running three electric cables to it :o :o

Craigp

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »
That's my thoughts too.

What a hassle, just get a Truck Mount built for the job.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »
Your missing the point guys. I do run T/M, but I have brought a Scorpian as back up and to be used for mobile jobs. But it came with tanks, I have another van, I have a part time mamber of staff that knows his stuff. So, my thoughts are, set it up as T/M in van, let him use it, if we get any mobile jobs he can whip it out and use it that way. 

john martin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »
Why on earth would you want to run a portly from the van ?, reducing its limited performance even further.

Don't think there is a straight forward answer to that , just arguments pro and against ...
If i was to give a practical example in favor ,  u have to do an apartment ,perhaps its P***** rain ,  instead of hauling all the gear out u  just pull up close as you can ... grab your cords ... plug in .    If you have a reel just haul out the hose ...
from then on you shouldn't have to go outside or switch off the machine with a tank setup ...
Its mostly convince i suppose ... will work better on some occasions more than others .

neil ...  you are right of course ...  but '13amp' cable is 1.5mm  ,which no on should be using on higher demand gear ..
the scorpion comes with 2.5 mm cords ( if im not mistaken )  then you should just need two more 2.5mm cords <50' or so ..
with 2.5mm  the cable wont over heat like 1.5mm ... the plug fuse will be the weak point .

MAX Carpets

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »
Oh, I have the frame as well. What about heater, different plug?

john martin

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:16:53 pm »
That's what I was thinking, plus running three electric cables to it :o :o

Two cables !         Christ ! i think im defending the scorpion  ;D

MAX Carpets

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:55 pm »
Cheers John, great help, many thanks. I know I sound a bit dumb, but I'm not up on my mobiles.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »
Plus I must add, that set up looks pretty neat I think..............for a porty ;0)

john martin

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:08 pm »
Oh, I have the frame as well. What about heater, different plug?

inline heater ?   bring it close to where your working ... try and put it on a different circuit to the scorpion ... kitchen or other room , you dont always know when your on another circuit ... if it trips just  move it elsewere

john martin

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 09:06:35 pm »
might just add ...  if you were determined to run a heater from the van on two cords ....
you could .. or i would plug some lower watt inlines into cord two.
example , craftex have an 1800w

cord one ( two 1500w vacs would be about 14 amps max)

cord two ( one 1500w vac + pumptec = 8 amps + 1800w inline = about 16 amps)

but better to have an inline close to the wand id say ... and 3000w if possible .

Colin Day

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
Sounds like a royal pain in the ass...

The Scorps light enough to load/unload, why run it as a TM?

Ok, I run my Zeta from the van cos I have to, but the Jag comes up to the door. I prefer to run as short a waste hose as I physically can.

Lets face it, a TM's miles quicker to set up and use than a Van Mounted Porty...

Jim_77

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »
You're closet truckmounter aren't you Col ;D

It's OK, you can come out to us, we won't judge you :)

john martin

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »

Ok, I run my Zeta from the van cos I have to, but the Jag comes up to the door. I prefer to run as short a waste hose as I physically can.

Lets face it, a TM's miles quicker to set up and use than a Van Mounted Porty...

I like this tank setup ...  wheres the pain ?  most domestic jobs i do you can pull up along side the window ... of fairly close to the door .
Advantages ..  the obvious ones ..  you don't have fetch water or look for a tap source for an autofill .
You don't have to empty on the job ...  you don't have the problems associated with pumpout ..ie you guys spend half the time poking at your filters  .
Machine is not in the rain ... its not making as much noise as close to door or inside house .
TM is quicker / better but then you get into TM vs Porty ...    All that can go wrong with a scorpion is likely to fixable by yourself at minimal cost ... etc

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
The Scorps ........................................., why run it as a TM?

And why not? All bar a handfull of jobs I can reach as far as I need with 75 foot of hoses from the van parked near the property, and this distance is well within the capabilities of the machine.
All I need to do besides the solution/waste hoses is run 2 sets of electrical cables out, which if you're organised hardly adds any extra time to the setting up, as you will be going back and fo initially during the setting up.

Colin Day

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:20:15 pm »

I like this tank setup ...  wheres the pain ?  most domestic jobs i do you can pull up along side the window ... of fairly close to the door .
Advantages ..  the obvious ones ..  you don't have fetch water or look for a tap source for an autofill .
You don't have to empty on the job ...  you don't have the problems associated with pumpout ..ie you guys spend half the time poking at your filters  .
Machine is not in the rain ... its not making as much noise as close to door or inside house .
TM is quicker / better but then you get into TM vs Porty ...    All that can go wrong with a scorpion is likely to fixable by yourself at minimal cost ... etc

Nope, still no idea who you are....

john martin

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:47 pm »

[/quote]

Nope, still no idea who you are....

[/quote]

lol , I'm stuck in cyberspace Colin ...  someday I'll be real like you  ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »
The Scorps ........................................., why run it as a TM?

And why not? All bar a handfull of jobs I can reach as far as I need with 75 foot of hoses from the van parked near the property, and this distance is well within the capabilities of the machine.
All I need to do besides the solution/waste hoses is run 2 sets of electrical cables out, which if you're organised hardly adds any extra time to the setting up, as you will be going back and fo initially during the setting up.

I sort of do what half of what you say because I have to run the Zeta from the van. ie, electric extension to the van, hose feed and solution hose from the van. All worth it for the hot water I can achieve...? Definitely...

But to slip the Jag out and plug it in (Ooooh, matron) takes so little time and effort I do this while the SPM's dwelling after agitation...

I just need 1x50ft hose and I'm good to go.

Time management and efficiency are paramount for me, as I am a full time house husband and have limited hours.... So believe me, I have tried every avenue and have come up with one that takes some beating...

Jim's probably right though, I am a closet TMer, just wanting to come out.... ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »
You have the same wallpaper as me though which is quite disturbing!!!

Colin Day

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »
You have the same wallpaper as me though which is quite disturbing!!!

That's a photo of me in your house... flooding your carpets.... ;D ;D ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »
Why would you want to run it as a truck mount

To save time filling it up and emptying it.  Clean the Lounge on to next job.

Jim_77

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 02:17:18 am »
Sh*t, I wondered where that musty smell came from.. I thought it was the dog!!!

MAX Carpets

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 08:01:49 am »
May I add (take cover) in my opinion it looks more professional to use TM.

#AimFire

Helen

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:33 am »
May I add (take cover) in my opinion it looks more professional to use TM.

#AimFire

Who does it look more professional to?
99% of the public haven't got a clue what is involved in carpet cleaning hence why thre's a market place for rug doctors both used and hired.
The only people it looks more professional to are other carpet cleaners.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:08 am »
That was a bit of a joke, hence #AimFire

Although we do get a lot of people ask the question "Do you have one of those machines in the back of your van?"

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:59 am »
99% of the public haven't got a clue what is involved in carpet cleaning hence why thre's a market place for rug doctors both used and hired.

Sorry, disagree with that. One of the most powerful aspects of a TM is it's ability to look the part and whether or not the public understand the technical aspects of carpet cleaning is irrelevant, they can still recognise a serious piece of kit when they see it and makes them feel that they are dealing with a serious company focused on quality. That's not me talking, that's what our customers tell us.
Unfortunately people - lots of people, it seems, get a raw deal from carpet cleaners and next time around they tend to be a lot more careful about who they book and a TM because it looks the part, or at least much more professional that the last guy who turned up with some Mickey Mouse machine.
So from a marketing perspective a TM is a big PLUS.

Simon

Helen

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:33 am »
That was a bit of a joke, hence #AimFire

Although we do get a lot of people ask the question "Do you have one of those machines in the back of your van?"

I know ;D Thought I would start the "firing"  ;D

We get asked this question now, moresoever than before, which I think is brilliant as Joe Public are starting to understand what is right and what is wrong.....
The beauty of having a portie that can stay in the van, is that when asked the question"does your machine stay in the van" we can answer "yes"
and when people say "the last time we had it done was one of those van machines and we weren't happy" (yes it does happen!) we can say no, ours comes out of the van ;D ;D ;D

MAX Carpets

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 10:12:55 am »
Your a Brave Man Simon, a very brave Man ;0)

Colin Day

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:08 am »
It's only really us carpet cleaners who can appreciate the differences between a TM and a Porty. Customers just want their carpets cleaned and dry in no time at all. Most of us achieve this with the equipment we have.

In considering getting a TM, I am more allured by at how efficient I would be if I had one. I certainly wouldn't start boring the pants of a customer (especially an old dear) about the horsepower of my machine, that's just cringe-worthy.... ;D

If I was getting 3 quotes for my patio to be cleaned, and one started going on about how bigger and better his machine was, I'd probably assume that they were going to charge more not because they'd do a better job, but to cover the cost of their big (Commercial) toy.

Helen

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:51 am »

Sorry, disagree with that. One of the most powerful aspects of a TM is it's ability to look the part and whether or not the public understand the technical aspects of carpet cleaning is irrelevant, they can still recognise a serious piece of kit when they see it and makes them feel that they are dealing with a serious company focused on quality. That's not me talking, that's what our customers tell us.
Unfortunately people - lots of people, it seems, get a raw deal from carpet cleaners and next time around they tend to be a lot more careful about who they book and a TM because it looks the part, or at least much more professional that the last guy who turned up with some Mickey Mouse machine.
So from a marketing perspective a TM is a big PLUS.

Simon

Chill Simon, many custies do not get a raw deal from portie users either and again it's how you use your "kit" , not how "big" it is ;D ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:02 am »
That's cheating  ;D ;D

Woman's logic ;D ;D ;D

Isn't it what it is all about...........what the customer wants ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:24 pm »
Of course customers have no idea about the difference betreen a T/M and a portable the same as they don't know the difference  betreen a rug doctor and a professional machine....... that's why we need to tell them.

One of the reasons I only try and do home quotes is it allows me to explain to the customer why I'm charging more than  ABC carpet cleaners.

To say customers don't care about what we use is not true it's like saying we just want a machine that clean carpets we don't want to know it's specification it just has to clean carpets.

If we don't tell them why we are different why would they chose us over a cheaper company
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

des

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:58 pm »
Why not phone Nick at solutions and get first class advice
des at mister clean

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:00 pm »
I also think customers take YOU more seriously when you explain the technical differences between a porty and a TM. I think people believe, or can be made to believe that because the TM is so much bigger that it will do a better job and most are willing to pay more to get the straight quality. Whether they get extra quality or not is as we all know not down to the machine, but entirely in the hands of the operator, but the customers doesn't know that.

Simon

gwrightson

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:36 pm »
Posted by: Mike Halliday  Posted on: Today at 12:07:24 pm 
Insert Quote 
Of course customers have no idea about the difference betreen a T/M and a portable the same as they don't know the difference  betreen a rug doctor and a professional machine....... that's why we need to tell them.

One of the reasons I only try and do home quotes is it allows me to explain to the customer why I'm charging more than  ABC carpet cleaners.

To say customers don't care about what we use is not true it's like saying we just want a machine that clean carpets we don't want to know it's specification it just has to clean carpets.

If we don't tell them why we are different why would they chose us over a cheaper company 

Spot on.
I went to quote last week,  the fisrt thing the lady said it was her intentions
to get another 2 or 3 quotes, now normaly i would i would think price seeker straight away , but she did say she was not neccasarlily looking for the cheapest quote.  I talked her through the procdeures,explained about the t/m  :)  guess what ?   she booked me in there and then not even bothering to get another quote.
So in a nut shell a t/m does make a difference ............. most of the time .

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

john martin

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:14 pm »
chances are its your confidence and apparent Competence thats winning over the customer more than the technical details ...

anyway you dont need a big TM to clean some granny's suite and cluttered lounge  :D

Did i hear someone say Alltec is working on a dedicated electric TM ...

any details anyone ?    :)

gwrightson

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 02:49:12 pm »
ahhh, but Colin , if you did have a t.m you would mention it and use it to you benifit  :)

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 03:13:46 pm »
I turn at least 90% of all calls into work and don't even mention the machine....

It's tall story time ;D ;D

from edge2edge

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:35 pm »
Guys i have persuaded many customers over the last month to have a clean using the thermadry system as opposed to the truckmount i have and have had excellent results so far and am going to access over the next 2 months whether i need to have such a large unit in my little transit swb all the time.Regards Alan(swindon)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:37 pm »
Wouldn't dream of it! Why sell people short by cutting corners? ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »
Simon, I don't need to over-exaggerate like some of you guys obviously do.... ;)

Colin Day

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 04:02:26 pm »
ahhh, but Colin , if you did have a t.m you would mention it and use it to you benifit  :)

Geoff

I probably would mention it, but only if they asked... I once had some muppet ask if I used a hydraulic machine to steam clean the carpets.... I should have passed Simon's number on to them.... ;D

john martin

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
A few dedicated Electric TMs coming onstream shortly it seems ... 
perhaps prompted by Ahmadinejad and the boys driving fuel cost skyhigh ...

Mytee's escape ( twin electro 5.7 vacs + booster )

This is coming in march ... velocity tech ( electro motors again )

http://velocitytechstore.com/Products.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRAMaM5fs-s&context=C39961dbADOEgsToPDskIVpC4GrtjZCMz0r5zpbCW9

And alltec ETM ???  hopefully a quadvac !

I recon whoever makes an ETM with Ameteks 8.4s over here could be on to winner ...
Only 6.5 amps each at 230v
So two 8.4s and pump on a convenient one cord system for 150' lift and almost 300cfm
and perhaps boosting this with more 8.4 on another cord when needed ...

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »
Aparantley Electric Vans are the new Rock and Roll instead of those things driven by diesel.

So it makes sense that turbo charged ultra  efficient Electric  van mounted machines are a 21st Century product and those gas guzzlers will be extinct in 10 years time, The green Party would probably outlaw them when they become members of the Coalition ;D ;D ;D

john martin

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 06:04:36 pm »
yes ... even the americans are looking at alternatives to their 'gas'

whoa !  ...   just read velocity tech page  ... the terminal velocity has four 8.4's

or the hybrid version ... petrol / switch to four 8.4

http://velocitytechstore.com/TERMINAL-VELOCITY-ETM.html

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
I wouldn't get too excited at the thought of etm's as they will always be tied to the amount of cleaning power you can generate through a 13 amp cable, or even multiple cables and customers sensitivities to you sucking up their power in enormous quantities having not been told in advance of that hidden cost.

Simon

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 07:14:16 pm »
customers sensitivities to you sucking up their power in enormous quantities having not been told in advance of that hidden cost.

They wouldn't know unless someone told them though Simon

;D ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »
What, when you're running three cables out the house to your van?  :o :o they must be blind.

Craigp

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 07:29:12 pm »
A little trip here a little trip there, who would know!

;D

john martin

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 07:31:24 pm »
I wouldn't get too excited at the thought of etm's as they will always be tied to the amount of cleaning power you can generate through a 13 amp cable, or even multiple cables and customers sensitivities to you sucking up their power in enormous quantities having not been told in advance of that hidden cost.

Simon

13 amp fuse ?    2.5mm cable is rated 20amp  :)
fuse is good for bit more then 13amp

No need for three cables ...

one cable for two 8.4 + pump

add another cable when using more vacs ..

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 07:41:47 pm »
13 amp fuse ?    2.5mm cable is rated 20amp  
fuse is good for bit more then 13amp

No need for three cables ...

one cable for two 8.4 + pump

add another cable when using more vacs ..

Yeah, but why bother when you could get a proper purpose built TM designed for the job? ??? ???

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »
What, when you're running three cables out the house to your van?  :o :o they must be blind.

1 from the hall, 1 from the living room and 1 out of the bedroom window...

Only tell em about the 1 from the hall and keep them in the kitchen making brews...

jobs a goodun

;D ;D ;D

Steve Chapman

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 07:47:18 pm »
Whats funny is most customers i come across expect you to be plugging something in esp the older ones.

Even when ive told them theres no need as it its petrol driven they still insist on showing where the sockets are ::)

Sometimes ive even got the sebo out the van and plugged it in just to make them feel better  ;D

Steve

Colin Day

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 07:52:36 pm »
Next time you're doing an EOT with a pay as you go leccy metre, note how much it actually costs... ;)

john martin

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:36 pm »
[

Yeah, but why bother when you could get a proper purpose built TM designed for the job? ??? ???

Back to square one then  ;D  
The machine i proposing is a proper purpose built ETM designed for the job

running cost differentiate mostly i suppose ..

Colin Day

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:48 pm »
[

Careful John, there's a chance we might end up agreeing with each other here.... And we both know that that just can't happen ;D

john martin

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »
[

Careful John, there's a chance we might end up agreeing with each other here.... And we both know that that just can't happen ;D

God i love scorpions and jaguars too ...
messes with you mind doesn't it   :o

MAX Carpets

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 08:24:56 pm »
crikey this stirred up a right hornets nest. I thought it was a pretty genuine question.

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »
Soooo...............

why not have a ETM with your own genny on board??

ooer

ducks away

;D ;D

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31:56 pm »
customers sensitivities to you sucking up their power in enormous quantities having not been told in advance of that hidden cost.

Oh come on Simon, you know as well as anyone the customer is paying for the 'fuel' usage wether it be electric, petrol, diesel, LPG or donkey droppings.
An hour of electric is both cheaper and more eco friendly than a petrol run machine, and before we run down the TM v Porty arguement again let me reiterate that I know a petrol driven truckmount is more powerful than any elctric machines on the market as things stand today.
Anyway a scorpian can be truckmounted and can run to 200 metres if you get the booster unit to stick in the suction hose at the required point. I think 200 metres is far enough for 99% of most peoples jobs on here.

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2012, 08:37:35 pm »
crikey this stirred up a right hornets nest. I thought it was a pretty genuine question.

Jason, if you're coming down this way give me a call and you can see/test for yourself.

john martin

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »
Soooo...............

why not have a ETM with your own genny on board??

ooer

ducks away

;D ;D

cheaper to use the customers Sizewell B genny    :)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2012, 09:11:48 pm »

When I  ;Dget my TM, I hope I don't turn into someone like you Simon......

What - successful? ;D ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »

What - successful? ;D ;D

No Ugly  :D

Simon Gerrard

Billy Russell

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »

What - successful? ;D ;D

No Ugly  :D

You trying to say Simons got a face for radio?

;D ;D ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »
NO im saying he has a face like an old battered bakelite radio  ;D 8)

Colin Day

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »

Oh come on Simon, you know as well as anyone the customer is paying for the 'fuel' usage wether it be electric, petrol, diesel, LPG or donkey droppings.
An hour of electric is both cheaper and more eco friendly than a petrol run machine, and before we run down the TM v Porty arguement again let me reiterate that I know a petrol driven truckmount is more powerful than any elctric machines on the market as things stand today.
Anyway a scorpian can be truckmounted and can run to 200 metres if you get the booster unit to stick in the suction hose at the required point. I think 200 metres is far enough for 99% of most peoples jobs on here.

My mate, Neil47 needs a lot more than 200 metres, well at least until he gets his driving licence back.... ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »
650ft of hose on a triple vac porty!  wow :D

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:58 pm »
My mistake should read 200 foot, which is still far enough for all but one of us on here ;D

MAX Carpets

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:01 am »
Neil, I might take you up on that mate. Be good to say hi anyhow.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:27 am »
Its horses for courses as far as i am concerned, if i was going to be cleaning larger areas like restaurants and large pubs day in and day out then i could justify the purchase of a TM.
If you have set your sights on mainly the run of the mill domestic customer then a Porty is fine... especially as most of your average domestic punters is not going to pay out more just because you have a TM which owe's you a load of money...

If i had a steady stream of commercial work i would not think twice about a TM, however... i dont so my Jag serves its purpose for my targeted customers.

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »
Still waiting for my TM to make me money on a commercial.

I prefer spending the evenings doing the West Coast Swing and Salsa with my rotary   :P

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2012, 09:31:50 am »
Its horses for courses as far as i am concerned, if i was going to be cleaning larger areas like restaurants and large pubs day in and day out then i could justify the purchase of a TM.
If you have set your sights on mainly the run of the mill domestic customer then a Porty is fine... especially as most of your average domestic punters is not going to pay out more just because you have a TM which owe's you a load of money...

If i had a steady stream of commercial work i would not think twice about a TM, however... i dont so my Jag serves its purpose for my targeted customers.

I agree with that to a point. BUT...
I've just set my guy in Southampton up with a fully kitted out TM and the first thing he said when we did a job with it was 'WOW!' He was previously using a Diamond Back twin vac with an Envirodri CRB. He always got good results with that set up and never had any complaints. Now he reports the quality has vastly improved, carpets are a lot drier but most of all the sheer speed with which he can do the jobs means he can do far more in a day than he could before and that is the true value of having a TM, they earn you more money, offsetting the cost in a blink.

Simon

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2012, 09:55:03 am »
that is the true value of having a TM, they earn you more money, offsetting the cost in a blink.

Rubbish. No way on this planet are you going to recoop £15k/£20k/£25k in a blink unless you've got cruise liners lined up like a car wash facility wanting cleans.
It's going to take a couple of years at best to recoop that money.
Let's just say he does £600 a day 5 days a week, it's what's left after all expenditures and wages that goes towards offsetting that large cost, and that isn't going to happen quickly even at those rates.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:35 am »
Neil,
Who said anything about £15K -£25K?
I paid way way less than that for this unit and the word 'blink' was a relavtive term. ;D

Simon

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2012, 10:28:11 am »
In the bleak mid winter you can pay for a tm in a month depends if you are prepared to work for it though.

Shaun

Darren O

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2012, 11:00:47 am »
When i come to upgrade to a bigger van the plan was to get a truckmount not so sure now  the thing that puts me of is the price of fuel i can see us hitting £2 a litre soon.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »
Darren,
The cost of fuel (only 4%) is practically an irrelvance when you consider the extra productivity and because customers attribute the quality of the clean to the sheer size of your machine they tend to be very much more loyal and that alone pays not only for the fuel but the TM too, over a period of time that is.

Simon

PaulKing

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2012, 04:19:17 pm »
honestly, get a TM or you be doing the work yourself, personally i rather MR "internal combustion" engine did it for me.  a quick bit of energy/physics for you the max you get out of a household socket is 3000 watts thats about 7 hp and a half Horse Power, a prowler has 13hp, Don't care about how you maximise it with slippyer vacs or such you can't make it anymore , laws of physics don't change for carpets cleaners.   So lets take a 18hp truck mount such as the Prochem Blazer which engine is 18500 watts rated load and it use the waste heat from the unrated exhaust all 15000 watts of it to generate hot water so in effect its around 30,000+ watts of power thats quite a lot more than 3000 and it means you don't have to work as hard at the wand, which incidentally is usually the same type.

As a company We brought our first TM into the business eight years ago, customers seamed to like it we though so we kept on going, but i was really apparent that customers  always rang up after if we sent a portable the next time as they thought the TM did a better job, so we sent the TM and they were happy, hence I now have three TM and three portables sat in the shop.

I don't have them because "I" think they are great, I have them because my customers like them. if they like low moisture more i'd do that, just turns out they don't.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

from edge2edge

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »
Very well put Paul.I love my thermadry system which i use a lot due to parking restrictions and flats etc where i work but used the truckmount yesterday and even got to do a rug outside the front of the customers house which i left with a drier near it while i did the house carpets and must say from a visual point of view the customers and passing motorists were really impressed......Regards Alan(swindon) 

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 05:00:19 pm »
A TM is another form of advertising, quite apart from being one hell of a piece of kit.  I couldn't even begin to count the number of jobs we've got and the referrals from those jobs over the years,  because most people haven't seen such a big machine cleaning carpets before they are almost always impressed and take you, as a business a lot more seriously. We all know it is the operator that produces the end result regardless of the system, but it is the perception a TM creates in the mind of the customer that generates sales that you wouldn't have otherwise got. And then there is all that extra productivity  :D
Simon

Billy Russell

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
I had a scorpion, a month later i went out for a day with Steve Knight, Month and a half after that i had a TM sat in the back of my van!!!!!

The question i ask myself is, would i ever go back??? NO

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »
I'm not quite sure what your point is Billy ;D

Kev Loomes

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »
I'm with Billy, nor would I! But going back to the thread, we used to run a porty from the van and it was much quicker tan the normal way of using a porty.

It consisted of the machine (obviously ;D), a 250ltr tank which had auto fill and auto shut off, and had a run from the bottom of the tank to the on-demand 12v water pump - this gave the auto fill to the machine. Becuase it was under pressure it had to be of meaty construction so copper pipe and quick release fittings were used. This came in handy too when the machine had to come off the van on the odd occasion.

It would run 150 quite comfortably, but no more - obviously shorter legths than this was better for heat and suction. The point of it was though to be more productive to fit more jobs in. Because there was no time getting it off, filling it etc, it was this that saved the time.

So yes, you can run a porty from a van quite efficiently and successfully. For us it was this that in the end gave us the lightbulb moment of going TM, seeing how things could be done even quicker with it - without sacrificing the quality.

Cheers

Kev

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 06:02:57 pm »
I had a scorpion, a month later i went out for a day with Steve Knight, Month and a half after that i had a TM sat in the back of my van!!!!!

The question i ask myself is, would i ever go back??? NO

must be awfully sore sitting on that fence Billy  ;D ;D ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »
I'm not quite sure what your point is Billy ;D

Sorry Neil, i'll try making it a bit clearer!!!

TM ALL THE WAY BABY

Sorry Hector, had to jump off the fence................. i had a splinter!!! OUCH

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »
So let me get this right.
You are of the opinion that a TM is much better than a van fitted portable :D

A little bit more expensive though isn't it
Say that quiet enough and perhaps Simon won't jump down my throat ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »
Neil if you've put your suite prices up then it'll compensate for the cost also you'll open up more time for appointments in your diary.

Kevin which porty did you run from the van? I have a jag not sure if I'd like to run 150ft with it must be spoilt with having tms.

Shaun

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »

john martin

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2012, 07:22:26 pm »

No one making a case for the Scorpion ?

Must be no scorpion owners left ...
 Its usable from the van , but neither it nor the slightly less powerfull Jaguar will ever compete with a TM

The new generation ETM's will id say narrow the gap and provide a cost effective  alternative ...

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »

Its usable from the van , but neither it nor the slightly less powerfull Jaguar will ever compete with a TM

The new generation ETM's will id say narrow the gap and provide a cost effective  alternative ...
How? They are still governed by how much power you can generate from a 13 amp socket, as Paul King so eloquently explained. Electric powered machines will never be able to do what engine powered machines can - end of story.

Len Gribble

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2012, 08:04:45 pm »
John

Links to the ETM’s please
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

john martin

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:47 pm »
John

Links to the ETM’s please

Gave one yesterday ... scroll down  :)

some more are in development

john martin

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »

How? They are still governed by how much power you can generate from a 13 amp socket, as Paul King so eloquently explained. Electric powered machines will never be able to do what engine powered machines can - end of story.

A house is supplied with what 80 - 100 amps ...  you just have to access it , within reason
reasonable to me would be two cord for main machine ...  you can get  say 300 cfm and 16hg from those ...

not saying it will equal the TM ... but more bridge the gap , when you consider running costs etc
ETM has to be more than just recovery though i think ...   should have tanks with heat recovery from van ... a reel setup etc , think bane but with a bit more power .

Kev Loomes

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »
Kevin which porty did you run from the van? I have a jag not sure if I'd like to run 150ft with it must be spoilt with having tms.

Shaun

It was a Mytee Shaun, at the time it was the most poweful I could find, with heat. When I say 150ft, this was the max - most jobs were 75ft which was good. We used to fill up the 250ltr tank in the morning with hot water so that by the time it went through the heat exchangers it was very hot indeed and lasted well in to the day.

I'm glad 99% of the time it didnt need coming off the van becuase the filling area was a nightmare due to the opening being too small  for buckets (wrongly designed). So the autofill/keep on van situation was much easier.

The only downside was occasionally it would trip custys leccy, but it was a price worth paying imo. I would still never go back to a porty though, becuase even with the simplicity of how we had it set up - it could never compare to the extra heat, pressure and vaccum of a TM.

Cheers

Kev

p.s.  the most common comment we get when we finish a job with a TM is....'you finished already?' Er, yes!

Chris Hawkes

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:37 am »

I still have and use a Scorp as a back-up machine - a great machine which, with appropriate chems and agitation, gives me some great results.

I tried it with the tanks, running it as a TM as per the OP's original point but I felt as though I was losing a little suction and the emptying of the waste tank was a pain so I decided to sell the tanks on.  I have no idea if I was actually losing vac power but it just felt like it.

Chris

john martin

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2012, 11:51:01 am »

My understanding would be that ...  you didnt really loose much suction using the aux tanks ...
  but its takes a little longer to presurize them ... so you dont have the instant grab you feel when you put your hand over the hose ... but it builds up in a second or two .

If you have more lift , the time to presurize the tank decreases so ...

Your scorpion has about 135 " lift   and  300 CFM

A quadvac with some of the newer vacs will have 230 " lift  and 300 cfm
 making it more suitable for larger tanks ..