Ian Rochester

Curtain Cleaning in situ
« on: December 06, 2004, 08:08:22 pm »
We have just been asked by a fairly big hotel (48 rooms) whos carpets we clean, if we can clean their curtains in situ on an annual basis.

We currently only have Extracta Exel HWE machines so I have started looking into buying a dry clean machine, something like Extracta Spirit 2, Alltec Sahara or Ashby Ninja, but the more I look into it the more hassle it seems to be.  Do many of you guys clean curtains in situ and if so how long does it take, what machine do you use and what problems do you encounter? 

It would obviously be less hassle for the hotel to have them cleaned in situ, but I think the cost would put them off compared to taking them down and to the local dry cleaners, I would estimate that my costs are going to be in the region of £100 per pair of full length curtains, the dry cleaners are quoting between £40 - £70.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

Doug Holloway

Re: Curtain Cleaning in situ
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 08:17:20 pm »
Ian,

It's a horrible job !

Just because the Dry Cleaning solvent machines work in a similar fashion to HWE , don't be fooled ;)

Dry cleaning in this sense uses hydrocarbons , which have one plus , they will not run the colours.

Unfortunately they have several minuses ;

They clean very poorly,
They smell horribly,
They are expensive,
They have Health and safety drawbacks.

Just look in YP and see how many offer curtain cleaning!

We bought a machine many years ago and a few months later it was down the dump and good riddance.

Sorry I can't be more positive,

Cheers,

Doug

dave401uk

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 08:25:43 pm »
just to say i agree with Doug,i also spent a fortune on a machine yrs ago, had it about 6 mnths,then sold it at a huge loss, my advice would be to stay clear,

dave
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

Michel Roberts

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 09:22:00 pm »
What about the CFR machine and hand tool.

I do not know much about curtain cleaning myself but would have thought they might be better than some of the systems meantioned above. Perhaps any CFR users could let us know.

Dereck Bolton has a system where he uses a jetstream machine and terry towels.

Michel

Dynafoam

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 10:06:06 pm »
I cleaned three sets of curtains (with vallences) today.

Not my favourite job but it pays very well  :D

I own probably the best hot solvent machine ever made - the Ultimate PB3 - but that stayed in the back of the store room where it has lived for many years.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 06:24:54 am »
Doug/Dave,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will probably take it and steer clear of it.

John,

If you didn't use your Ultima what did you use?

Ian

woodman

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 08:38:58 am »
Hi Ian

Like john I do insitu curtain cleaning with out too much problem.

For a hotel they will be looking at the health aspects of the cleaning to improve indoor air quality more than making them look like new which will not happen.

Depending on the size of the curtains the reason they are done insitu is to save the aggravation of taking them down,delivering them to the cleaners picking them up and then re-hanging them where they will find they will have suffered some degree of shrinkage.Factor all this into the dry cleaners price and its much more than a hundred pounds.Plus the inconvenience for the hotel of having no curtains at the window.

You soon begin to see what a good cost effective service insitu cleaning is ;)

Dynafoam

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 09:32:57 am »
Ian,

I have developed a number of 'alternative' methods for both wet and dry cleaning of curtains and use the one most appropriate to the job. I discovered earlier this year that Little Brother uses one (steam).

Simple descriptions here would do more harm than good.

gwrightson

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 02:49:21 pm »
ive seen derick  clean curtains in situ, with steam and micro splitters,
certainly seems to work , and looks safe,
but , but i do believe their is a knack to getting the steam right , using a terry towel ,
im sure derick can explain far better,  i do intend to use his method  ;D
on mine first  ;) geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

mark_roberts

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 05:37:34 pm »
Cleaned curtains yesterday and after texatherm its my most profitable service.  Although I dont do it often I suppose I should push it more.

First i vacuum really well especially swags and tails and pelments as thats where the most dust gathers.  Then I use either Dri pro or microsplitters on a terry towel and wipe the curtains down.  Hey presto dust free and fresh looking curtains. 

As woodman says due to sun fade, smoke, dust penetration some curtains are best passed on.

I had a dryalon type yesterday with a black stain.  Tryed solutions spotters but no joy.  Tried blitzz from Texatherm and it came straight off.  Proceded to clean the whole curtains with blitzz as described and they looked fantastic.  Customers husband even commented how well they looked.

Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 08:43:06 pm »
Every time insitu curtain cleaning comes up most say 'dri pro it' but in my opinion it's horrible stuff with poor results and an even more umpleasant smell :P

It would be nice to do a course or have some hands on training with different methods which are just as safe (when well trained)

Any offers?

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 09:14:53 pm »
Im interested in Derecks steam method but every time its mentioned we are told it is to hard to explain on the Forum and in wrong hands doggy.

I have asked the experts on Cleenzine  E Mag if I get a reply will post it

Derek

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 06:27:38 am »
Ian

To give information out where there is a definite risk of damage would be irresponsible of me ... I have demonstrated on the Amtech course where I can show the system and answer questions

Did you know that if you give advice (even to a customer) and something goes wrong that you may be liable? I have additional cover within my Insurance policy to cover this...a necessity if you do training.

We all give advice to customers as part of our marketing strategies.. the one thing I will not do is leave a chemical with them unless its clearly branded with manufacturers instructions and labels and suitable for 'home use'

Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 07:42:24 am »
I new you were going to say that, Derek and I do understand your reasons.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 09:27:30 pm »
Good comments one and all.  It does seem to bit of an area of avoidance, surely there is some tried and tested method that works, is cost effective and can be put into a procedural manual.

We all have the manuals for Carpets and upholstery, are the textiles used in curtains significantly different?  Whatever they are I'm sure they can be dissected and quantified for cleaning purposes.

I suppose the ideal would be something like a microsplitter presprayed on, agitated and then vacuumed off with no excess water being used........Nick, get onto it!!!  If you haven't already!!

Ian

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 09:34:13 pm »
What about a video link (like the one with the tile cleaner on Cleantalk) you could have young Derek going through the full procedure from testing to prevac to solution applied steaming and finishing, just with some marigolds on.. nothing else.

Perhaps it would be a waste of time as none of us would view it but at least he would have shown willing (no pun intended ;D)

Shaun