Always shining

Looking to buy pure water
« on: July 02, 2022, 10:52:01 am »
I’ll keep this as basic as I can.
I live in Mid-Wales and work predominantly in Shropshire. I have no way of making pure water at home as my water supply is by way of rain water harvesting.
I currently drive to Telford every day after work to get my water from the spotless place but it is around 100 miles tagged on to the end of each day. It’s costing me a fortune in diesel and time.
So I’m looking for anyone who produces their water at home and lives near mid-wales or Shropshire or anywhere in between who could sell me 400-500 litres a day.
Or has anyone got any ideas that could help my situation.
I know it’s a long shot but always worth asking

zesty

Re: Looking to buy pure water
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 12:39:13 pm »
Rainwater is usually suitable to clean with, can you not use it?

Also, what happens in dry spells? Amazed you have no other supply?

Always shining

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 01:27:02 pm »
Don’t collect enough to run house and business. Bought house with spring fed supply but it stopped working after two weeks of moving in. Over a mile to nearest mains supply so seriously expensive to get connected up.
When it’s been dry for a while I have to ferry water from other places.
It’s been a nightmare for 18 months but there you go.
The house supply I can just about manage to organise. It’s the supply for work that I’m posting about

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 04:58:49 pm »
Don’t collect enough to run house and business. Bought house with spring fed supply but it stopped working after two weeks of moving in. Over a mile to nearest mains supply so seriously expensive to get connected up.
When it’s been dry for a while I have to ferry water from other places.
It’s been a nightmare for 18 months but there you go.
The house supply I can just about manage to organise. It’s the supply for work that I’m posting about

Get a bore hole put in will cost 3-4K but after that it’s free water apart from filtration

Always shining

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 06:00:45 pm »
They are £10000 minimum. My quotes ranged from £10000 to £18000. I went with the cheaper one of course. Local guy well respected. Everyone knows him. Drilled the borehole 2 weeks ago but was dry. Had to pay the dry borehole charge (expenses) which was £2000. Some of the other companies had a £3000 dry borehole charge.
Ours was expecting  to find water after 35-40 metres due to his knowledge of the area.Drilled down to 120 metres but no water.
To be fair to the guy it wasn’t a good result for him either. He’d drilled for 3 days (and it is very dusty messy hard job that he did on his own) and had put the steel casing in. If he had hit water all he would have had to do is put in the pvc pipe. Drop in a borehole pump and connect up to mains and he would have collected the other 8k.
His machines (drilling machine and compressor) used either £400 or £600 worth of diesel. Can’t remember which it was but a lot.

Ggh

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 06:23:39 pm »
Where in Mid Wales are you?
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Ggh

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 06:29:52 pm »
When I first started, I parked up in the local cemetery (tds 068!) and filled up. Until I had a good supply.

You could hire a standpipe from Aquam.
We do this a lot. Then Di as you go?
From £350/day

Always shining

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 07:04:21 pm »
Water from the cemetery? You’ve lost me mate
Would a stand pipe not need connecting to a mains source? If so our nearest one is over a mile away.
I’m near Llanidloes

Ggh

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 07:13:39 pm »
Water from the cemetery? You’ve lost me mate
Would a stand pipe not need connecting to a mains source? If so our nearest one is over a mile away.
I’m near Llanidloes

I’m guessing the tds in Llanidloes is pretty low. Hire a standpipe and fill up once a day, will take 5 mins, then DI as you go.
You’ll need to do your Calm Network Training. But hey, better than driving to Telford. I’m near Hereford so too far you.

You should be able to rent a super cheap unit with water round there, no good if you’re starting out though.

From £350/day

Kinderbueno

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 07:36:10 pm »
Ask another local window cleaner maybe?

Always shining

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 08:06:47 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance but where do I hire a standpipe from, what exactly is that and where would I fill it  from. And what would I need the Calm Network Training for?
Yes I’ve been looking for a unit but nothing cheap enough so far to just use to produce water but I’m still looking.
Appreciate your input and again apologies if I’m not cottoning on?
Am I wrong in thinking that a standpipe would need to be tapped into a hydrant or something like that?

Ggh

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 06:53:45 am »
Please excuse my ignorance but where do I hire a standpipe from, what exactly is that and where would I fill it  from. And what would I need the Calm Network Training for?
Yes I’ve been looking for a unit but nothing cheap enough so far to just use to produce water but I’m still looking.
Appreciate your input and again apologies if I’m not cottoning on?
Am I wrong in thinking that a standpipe would need to be tapped into a hydrant or something like that?

First, what’s the tds of the mains water in your area? We work up to Builth and the tds is low, hopefully yours is similar up there.
From £350/day

Always shining

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 08:24:47 am »
Sorry don’t know the tds mate. I suppose I could ask someone locally who does have mains water.
I’ve looked into  Aquam and it looks like maybe something that will give us certainly peace of mind at home at the moment but hopefully as has been said before the tds is low enough that I could also use it for work. That would be ideal.
I’ve tried looking into whether you can use this on a domestic basis or is it just commercial. Ie can anyone use it?
Was going to email tomorrow and ask but wondered if you knew?
Also I’ve been looking at the prices and from what I can gather it’s only around £1.60 per 1000 litres. Aside of course from hire fees etc is that right or am I missing something?
1000 litres at the spotless place costs about £40!

Ggh

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 08:51:41 am »
Sorry don’t know the tds mate. I suppose I could ask someone locally who does have mains water.
I’ve looked into  Aquam and it looks like maybe something that will give us certainly peace of mind at home at the moment but hopefully as has been said before the tds is low enough that I could also use it for work. That would be ideal.
I’ve tried looking into whether you can use this on a domestic basis or is it just commercial. Ie can anyone use it?
Was going to email tomorrow and ask but wondered if you knew?
Also I’ve been looking at the prices and from what I can gather it’s only around £1.60 per 1000 litres. Aside of course from hire fees etc is that right or am I missing something?
1000 litres at the spotless place costs about £40!

Are you on a bore hole at home?
I assume you can use it for anything you want.
Yeh, it’s fairly cheap, especially if you do an annual hire. You will have resin costs but that will be easily negated by fuel and time etc.
Also you will need to purchase lay flat hose, claw connector, key, lifting bar, less than £50. Inches

Buy a TDS meter, go for a pint and test the water in the basin in the toilet. Or cafe or whatever. Let it run a minute or two first.

Have you been windows cleaning long?
From £350/day

Always shining

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 10:37:29 am »
Had a borehole drilled a few weeks ago. 120m down but only a trickle. Looking at maybe trying again somewhere else and other options.
Will be having a geo survey done next.
Good tip to test the water 😃
Been window cleaning for over 30 years. First time I’ve lived rurally and so been used to towns and mains water.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 10:44:11 am »
How much can you harvest off of your roof? Do you have much land?

A WC I know of in Bristol had 5x1000L cubes fed from his (average semi detached house) roof. I should have thought that Llanidloes would be wetter than Bristol. The tds of rain water off his roof seemed to be about 025/030. So he polished off with resin.

Is there a large building - say a pub, farmhouse, church or industrial unit that you could arrange with the owners to put a few 1000L cubes to harvest their rain water for a small price?

One thing that is plentiful in mid-wales is rain!
It's a game of three halves!

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 10:44:43 am »
When I first started, I parked up in the local cemetery (tds 068!) and filled up.
There's no shame in that. They are very emotional places.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 10:52:16 am »
When I first started, I parked up in the local cemetery (tds 068!) and filled up.
There's no shame in that. They are very emotional places.

Just been coffin my coffee into my keyboard after reading such grave humour.
It's a game of three halves!

Always shining

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 11:50:17 am »
I do collect quite a bit off my roof and garage and an annexe roof and for the most part I get by running the house with it. There’s nowhere near enough to run the windows as well. At this time of year we struggle as we get a lot more dry spells than you think. Yes I know I thought it always rained in Wales. Not where I live it doesn’t!
Seeking out other options such as large buildings near by is a good idea and worth looking at thank you.

Ggh

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 12:27:53 pm »
I’m on a bore hole here (tds 500!). Had to rent a unit and mains water etc.

Test your local mains water TDS and I’ll explain the hydrant stuff, if the result is low enough for Double DI only.

At least you live in Powys. Beautiful place.
From £350/day