dai

taking the strain out of 60ft poleing
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:38:26 pm »
I was working along on auto pilot today and got thinking about guys using 60ft poles.
This idea may sound daft and would only work on buildings with flat roof access. You put eye bolts on each corner of the building and thread a rope or wire through the eyes so that the the rope goes all the way round. You then clip a carabena hook to the wire or rope.
put a lengh of rope through the carrabena eye and let both ends fall to the ground.
Tie a weight equal to or slighlty heavier than weight of the pole on one end of this rope. Keeping the rope tight lift the pole till it reaches the top of the glass. Clip or tie the other end to the bottom of the pole.
Now when you pull down on the brush the weight rises and when you lift the pole the weight drops. You have now transferred the effort to pulling down rather than having to lift the pole making full use of your body weight. The carrabena would slide along the rope that goes round the top till you get to the corner where you have another rope to tie the weight to.
Mrs had a day off today, see how crazey I get working alone. DAI

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

Re: taking the strain out of 60ft poleing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 09:51:00 pm »
Dai,

That is a very interesting approach.  It sounds like it would work.  If you prefer to keep your feet on the ground, it might save you from developing problems with your neck/back.

What about abseiling?  I would hang

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:02:05 am »
thats how its supposed to be done anyway. any pole upto 80feet should be tied from the top of a building

gaza

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:40:57 pm »
TRY FINDING A BUILDING WITH EYE BOLTS. :-\

GAZA

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

dai

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 01:53:55 pm »
Hi Gaz, Well your not are you? I only thought of it the other day.
They Would be a hell of a lot easier to fit than cradle gear though. Dai

gaza

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 02:09:15 pm »
DAI: The worst offenders around here is the local council run oap housing,funny init , mention it to the window cleaners who do them , the reply is who cares.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 02:37:04 pm »
well ive gone up 80 feet with tucker poles and managed without lifting from top.anyway how many buildings do we acctually do upto 60feet? i dont thinks it many? is it?

dai

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 07:28:21 pm »
Ok so it was a crazy idea, I get lots of them. Like making solid rubber blocks with inverted steps that fit into the top of your ladder, The steps fit over the window sill and then the ladder can't slip sideways or backwards because the steps wont let it. some git will proberbly take a patent out on that one and make a fortune. DAi