Ray Pickering

Carrying Ladders on Car/van??
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:01:10 pm »
Hi there.

How do you traditional cleaners fix your ladders on top of your motor.

At present i fix mine on top with them there metal brackets with the big screw on top & the hook that fits under the roof rack.

Theres got to be an easier way--i spend more time taking the ladders off & on that they drive me crazy!!

Your ideas would be appreciated. (by the way i got a car)

Ray.

Paul Coleman

Re: Carrying Ladders on Car/van??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 02:16:53 pm »
Hi there.

How do you traditional cleaners fix your ladders on top of your motor.

At present i fix mine on top with them there metal brackets with the big screw on top & the hook that fits under the roof rack.

Theres got to be an easier way--i spend more time taking the ladders off & on that they drive me crazy!!

Your ideas would be appreciated. (by the way i got a car)

Ray.

I use quick release straps.  They have a sort of buckle one end and the strap can only be pulled through when the clip is held open.  Have a look in a Halfords (or similar) store.  Check the buckles from time to time as they can lose their springiness.  Thule make these straps.  Halfords also do their own brand.  I also use those tri-angle pieces that attach to roofbars to prevent the ladder sliding sideways on them.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 02:50:25 pm »
Ray,

I see you're newish to window cleaning.  It's difficult to begin with because you've 'drive betweens' everywhere; but as time marches on your round will become more concentrated with clumps of properties in one area and you won't be taking your ladders off and on your car so often.

Collecting also becomes a lot easier - if you collect that is.

In the meantime, I suggest you use just one ladder clamp at the front (the type you have already) and keep it well oiled, so just a few flicks undoes it and secure the back with a strong rubber bungee.

Ray Pickering

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 03:00:13 pm »
Shiner.

That sounds a big improvement to what i'm using.

Thanks Ray.

Windows!!

I do use just one at the front to secure the ladders--but tend to overtighten it & the threads are'nt looking too good i'm probably a bit hamfisted.

Also your dead right i have'nt been going long so like you say my rounds are a bit scattered so i'm constantly lifting them on & off.

Ray.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:47:01 pm »
I use both clamps and one padlock - I keep them lubricated with a silicone grease -
it is a bit of a nuisance but I would rather be safe,
and why not factor all the ladder carrying into your price -
I charge more for isolated jobs than the bunched ones then bring the price down when more come on board :)

eddie d

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 06:42:29 pm »
guys
 i use bungees always have. 15 years no problem.just loop em over the rack when working 2 secs to release and do up.
 but i do or did use clamps or rope on bigger heavier ladders.
 eddie

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 06:45:50 pm »
bungees are great but im sure if you find out that they are against the law regarding safe & secure loads to a vehicle.

Ray Pickering

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 06:51:15 pm »
HI easyclean!

What do you use?

Ray.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 07:20:16 pm »
ladder hooks and padlock but i dont use that much only for access wfp mainly but  i remember someone telling me that if you use bungees you could be contraveing the safe loads act but there again they may have been telling porkies.....?

gaza

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 07:36:45 pm »
RAY: IDEAL CLEANING ON NUTHALL RD NOTTM WILL SELL YOU THESE QUICK RELEASE STRAPS ABOUT 1 SQUID EACH
how the devil are we old timer ;D

have you mastered the swirl yet?"

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ray Pickering

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 07:41:08 pm »
Nice to hear from you GAZA!

By the way thanks for the free tuition!

Yes i'm swirling like a professional now (i think)

Ray.

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 11:53:59 pm »
We use good quality bungees.

We tried the screw on ladder clamps but in the cold or if if your hands slip, boy oh boy, do they  hurt and they take so much time to undo.

Also, one day one was not secured properly to the underside of the roof rack and in undoing it, it fell onto the windscreen and smashed it.

Having said that last year I let go of a bungee a bit to quick and it smashed the rear window.

Cheers

clearview window c

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 03:56:59 pm »
your method + wd40 is as quick as it gets 4 me. if its just a short trip just put one on the back rack, with more of the ladder forward. may sound unsafe but they wont move an inch. hope this helps. ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 04:09:26 pm »
guys
 i use bungees always have. 15 years no problem.just loop em over the rack when working 2 secs to release and do up.
 but i do or did use clamps or rope on bigger heavier ladders.
 eddie

I'm not sure what you mean by "bungee".  Just guessing here:  Are they those elasticated things with a hook on either end?

Ray Pickering

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 04:10:54 pm »
Hi clearview.

I do similar on very short trips.

I DO WHAT YOU DO BUT IN REVERSE.

let more ladder overhang at the back & secure it at the front.

But i'm still not happy with them.   :-\

Ray.

eddie d

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 05:25:51 pm »
 yes bungees r elastic things with hooks on.
 i dont agree that they are ilegal.have always used them 15 years and they are not unsafe.i drive all over london do several police properties and cthis is the first ive ever heard ..

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 06:25:14 pm »
yes bungees r elastic things with hooks on.
 i dont agree that they are ilegal.have always used them 15 years and they are not unsafe.i drive all over london do several police properties and cthis is the first ive ever heard ..

OK.  Thanks for clarifying that.  I did start using bungees at the very beginning but I ditched them.  This was because I decided to use roofbars rather than a roofrack.  Roofbars are much wider of course and I wasn't satisfied that the end hooks would grip onto the bars properly. I don't recall any problems with them with a roofrack but I only used them for a couple of weeks back in 1991 so can't really speak from a position of experience.

brett walker

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 09:36:49 pm »
good quality bungees

brett

gaza

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 10:33:05 pm »
BRETT: YOUVE NICKED MY we dont cut corners we clean them logo you little bu.... you ;D [just realized}
gaza

BRETTtry ideal cleaning for quick release straps only about a squid eachHAD MINE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. something else to add to your shopping list.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

brett walker

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 12:14:12 am »
copyright to gazza

we dont cut corners we clean them  ;D

i know you would'nt mind mate  ;)

youre more than willing to help anyone out

its not the only thing ive nicked look out your window your vans gone  ;D

hows your ethnic friend going on have you upset him again ?  >:( :o

Brett  ;D