Dominic

A month later and I've chilled out a bit
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:42:20 pm »
Hi all

Been full on recently with all this great weather so not had time to post. Thought I'd give you an update.

After the initial nightmare the system has settled down and so have I. We've been putting it to good use but came to the decision that we are only using it for large properties over a certain amount. This was due to the irritation of setting up everything for our smaller stuff. I really felt that by the time I had set up and gone through convincing the customer and doing  the initial clean I could have run up the ladders and knocked two or three similar small properties out, especially when they are all next to each other and having to keep moving van etc.

Aside from this the wfp is really coming into it's own on large properties,conservatory roofs,leaded windows etc. So I suppose I'm going along with the view that the wfp is another big weapon in the arsenal rather than an excuse to lay the ladders to rest for ever more. I'm sure people will disaggree but that's where I'm at at the moment. I was quite looking forward to losing the ladders but I'm now enjoying mixing it up and having days with a variety of work. I've always quite liked the fitness aspect of ladder work anyway but doing it day in and day out did annihilate me sometimes.

I'm really grateful to everyone that gave me good advice during my start up as I was quickly going insane. So thanks again. This is a great site!!!

cheers
Dom

steve k

Re: A month later and I've chilled out a bit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 09:22:08 pm »
I work in a similar way...mixing it when necessary or even when I feel like a bit of a workout. Sometimes, I get so far ahead of my mate who is tradding the bottoms, that I get a bit bored and go back and join him on trad.
I have a 80ft hosereel in my van and I don`t have any set up delays...I literally pull up, get the pole out, connect up, turn on and I am away. The street I was on today involves poling all the top windows (3 bed semis), but the sun shines right onto the front of the houses so on a hot day, I have to do them trad as it takes too much time rinsing in the sun and the finish is never to my satisfaction. I am just as quick on these days and it is a refreshing change to work a little bit harder.
Its an expensive tool to have but it is what I consider it...a tool in the van ;D
best of luck

dai

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:40:01 pm »
Hi Dom, Been thinking a lot about you mate, would have sent a pm if we still had them. You are now where I will be in about 6 weeks. I am going down the trolley route to start with. I too have loads of houses next to each other, I rarely move my car more than once a day, and that's the same for my whole round.
What was the cause of your greasy film? Did you find out? DAI

Dominic

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 09:38:04 pm »
Hi dai

still don't know what the greasy film was and still is but I think it was just sent to wind me up. It is definitely just my upvc window that has it and only in corners.

Good news is that I've had no complaints yet on all the wfp work I've done so far. I have taken my time on these jobs though and tried to charge as much as is reasonable to cover this time and only using pole on bigger work i.e. detached houses/4 or 5 storey town houses that take two of us at least an hour.

I'm sure I could work out a system for the rows of small stuff we do but just haven't got time to mess about while the summer madness is on. Maybe will work it out when things quieten down.

Definitely pleased that I've got the system though and I wish you all the luck with yours.

On the course they even advised to use some sort of detergent if youv've got some grease issue and then rinse well with pure water so there always seems to be an answer to these issues.

Will keep a lookout for your posts when you get your set up.

cheers
Dom

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 06:39:06 am »
still don't know what the greasy film was and still is but I think it was just sent to wind me up. It is definitely just my upvc window that has it and only in corners.

I've seen window fitters spraying the frames with WD40 so that they shine could this be the cause of the problem??

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz