Jonathan Adams

Help! Oil Spilt on Granite Floor
« on: October 04, 2004, 03:06:25 pm »
Hi

We recently cleaned the inside windows of an office building using a cherry picker. The main hydraulic pipe burst on the machine spewing hydraulic oil all over the floor (granite tiles) we mopped it all up using paper towels and then mopped with a light detergent. Unfortunately there seem to be tire marks from the cherry picker embedded in some of the tiles. The customer has complained and i was wondering if anyone knew of a way of removing the marks. The tiles look sealed but are dull in apperance  they are swept, mopped and buffed regulary. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

karen

Re: Help! Oil Spilt on Granite Floor
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 04:07:55 pm »
Hi Jonathan,

Prochem have a good technical advise helpline 0208 9741515
Hope this helps.

Karen

David Lauder

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 07:13:20 pm »
Treatment would really depend on whether or not the stone has absorbed any of the oil - if it is on the surface you could try acetone first on a small area. If the oil has stained the stone you will need to poultice it out.
If you find out what kind of granite it is plus an indication of any treatments it may have had (sealing etc) and then give me a holler via www.marblelifeuk.com we could discuss further.

woodman

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 02:41:26 pm »
you could try soda blasting as a safe alternative to other harsher methods of removal.

Jonathan Adams

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:30:28 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for the advice got it sorted.

Jonathan

David Lauder

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 08:04:45 pm »
What did you do?

Jonathan Adams

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 09:32:46 pm »
Hi Marblelife

I did'nt do anything the customer got there cleaner to use a de-greaser and it done the job. Wish they had told me i drove 120 miles to find out it had been sorted. Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Jonathan