The Great One

Acid on metal sink?
« on: September 29, 2004, 06:48:31 pm »
Hi Guys

had a job today, looks like someone had gone over stainless steel sink with acid.

It was tarnished on the drainer and the sink area was pitted.

I used a cream bleach with and green scourer and also with a wire brush. then with an abrasive cream cleaner.

I have had some result with a lightening of the drainer area. I have now left the cream bleach on for a couple of hours to hopefully lighten it. I am thinking of trying caustic soda.

Any further help/advice would be greatly appreiciated

Regards

Martin 8)

heritagecleaning

Re: Acid on metal sink?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:21:50 am »
Martin

Sounds fairly terminal. If an acid had been used which has reacted with the metal then it'll be virtually impossible to 'clean off' the damage.

Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) is a viciously strong alkaline - not sure if it'll help things.

I'll ask my Dad tomorrow - he's a chemistry teacher.

Owen

The Great One

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 02:14:13 am »
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I actually got rid of it nad got back a shiny sink using a product from the hardware store. It iscalled 'BarKeepers Friend' and retails at £3.49. You put it on as a poweder and add a little water to make a paste, I scrubbed it in using a green scourer and left for 1 min. Washed it off and got a result (tried test area 1st) took 4 more goes but it lifted the whole lot off. Buffed it up and it looks great.

Will keep a tub with me from now on.

Regards

Martin  8)

heritagecleaning

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 08:51:47 pm »
Martin

I stand corrected, which shows the usefulness of this forum!
I'll also be giving that product a go.

Owen