offclean

Quarry tiled Floor
« on: September 24, 2004, 07:39:20 pm »
Can anyone help?

We recently tried to clean two Quarry Tiled toilet floors by stripping off what looked like old floor polish.

After stripping, removing slurry etc. and allowing floor to dry, the stripper hadn't touched the polish (which we suspected because it hadn't gone white and treacherously slippy as is usual when it was wet).

We subsequently tried neat acid, sulphamic toilet cleaner, hydrochloric toilet cleaner, bleach, chewing gum remover, cellulose thinners and nail polish remover, none of which budged it.

Has anybody had a similar problem and if so did they find a remedy?

Does anybody know what this may be on the floor and if there's a product specifically designed to remove it?

Chrs me dears.

martin19842

Re: Quarry tiled Floor
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 11:20:10 pm »
depending on the tiles, there is a process where they are acid cleaned and then neutralised after the clean, but this is costly and a messy job.

regards

martin

mopman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 03:46:02 am »
after trying many acids, strippers etc. i found that cream cleaner is the only thing to bring up quarry tiles. use lots of water and lots of cream cleaner, a black pad and a wet pick up. mop with clean water after.

adl

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 03:19:19 pm »
You need to be more specific, what has the floor been sealed with or has the tiles been factory glazed/finished?

regards Dave ADL

ernesto

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 10:33:26 pm »
try morta cleaner

ernesto 

Cloverleaf

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 08:31:44 pm »
If it's floor polish should'nt you be using an alkaline stripper, ph 10 to 13.

Acid is not used for stripping floors  :o

John

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 02:41:55 pm »
Try Johnsons stripper with a polyprop brush on your rotary
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

sfpcleaningservice

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 08:19:23 pm »
sounds to me it could be some kind of industrial sealant, You know the acid resistant non slip  type i have seen this before on floors but i still dont know what it is. try ringing a manfacturer.

whoever gets the answer first wins a weekend stripping floors.

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 09:03:09 pm »
If all else fails, a flamethrower!

If I win can I nominate some one (Nick)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 11:55:13 pm »
Are you looking for a slap Len ???

Bring it on

Nick "Firestarter" Holman
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 04:31:12 pm »
Hi
It is probably a solvent based stripper which I think is called Lithofin. In my local area this product is only available in the local tile shop along with the polish made by the same company.
If it is this type of polish you WILL need this stripper and as far as IMO the only product that will work

Cheers

DP

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 07:51:56 pm »
Oddly enough nobody has mentioned Polyurethane varnish which was quite commonly used on old quarry tile floors (low tech finish on matt tiles years ago although not a cheap option).

Usually laid thin to soak in it was as tough as old boots and would have withstood most things, although finally going patchy with wear but easy to re-coat. However some of the chemicals mentioned should of at least effected the surface dependant on strength used.

Just another idea  :)

Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!