dhnjj

Spray Booth cleaning
« on: September 21, 2004, 07:32:46 pm »
Hi all, i would really appreciate it if anyone has any tips on cleaning the paint out of spray paint booths. really havnt got a clue  ???  i was thinking about using a pressure washer but unsure of whether to use chemicals aswell but what chemical to use i have no idea,  if i use the pressure washer then im worried about what to do about the excess water and paint regarding disposal. anyone?
many thanks, Dave
Failure lies not with falling down.
Failure lies with not getting back up!

paul@ctcs

Re: Spray Booth cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 09:59:20 pm »
I guess its almost like cleaning graffiti so there are a number of methods available that may work well, I know Solutions Nick has this type of thing, his products are outstanding and very cost effective.

Paul :)

dhnjj

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 10:49:39 pm »
Thanks Paul   :)  i'll have look on their website

paul@ctcs

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 10:59:36 pm »
It may be worth contacting Nick or Mike at express, They will know much more on this subject than i do.

Paul  

adl

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 11:06:17 pm »
It will all depend on what the spray booth was used for,
was it used for spraying cars if so it will need a remover for 2 pac or cellulos paint
if it was in a workshop it could be powdercoating

If you speak to the firm and ask what were they spraying it will make it easier to find a solution to clean it

regards Dave ADL

dhnjj

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 11:18:59 pm »
Dave555
yes the booths are used for spraying automotive parts with 2 pack isocyanate paint i think its solvent based  

Dave  :)

adl

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 12:21:26 am »
The it would be worth approaching companys like ICI or Brown Brothers or autopaint international who make the paint and asking their advice, if no success then it might be worth re-painting the entire booth, this might be the cheapest alternative, the problem with this type of procedure is that it souns like a variety of paints that have been used, and to clean it up would be a very difficult job as achieving good results without stainage would be difficult.

Slightly off the subject we restored a 1972 mercedes 3.5 litre V8 and fully stripped down paintwork it took a lot of effort with an orbital sander and even in places a little nitromors that should give you an idea of how hard it can be especially if the booth is quite old, if it is a newish booth without any scratches chips etc in the panels then it might not be to bad however you must still check that no damage will come to the booth as a result of heavy powerwashing, it might be worth doing a sample pane first before entering into a contract and notify the client of the possible risks

regards Dave Adl

martin19842

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 01:12:04 am »
just a thought, what about soda blasting, somebody was talking about it last week on here.

regards

paul@ctcs

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 11:43:05 pm »
There is an article on this months C & M about soda blasting, read it today and it looks good.

Paul

dhnjj

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2004, 05:23:33 pm »
a big thankyou to all who replied to my original post, i have decided to use wallpaper scrapers to remove the paint, tried it on friday and it worked well. i think pressure washing would be difficult as there is no drainage in the booths.
again many thanks

Dave  ;D