sls_cleaning

Staff issues, new legislation
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:49:41 pm »
8) Hello, can anybody help with some advice as to the new legislation coming into force, with staff i.e disability laws and all staff having contracts, any advice would be much appreciated. :P

martin19842

Re: Staff issues, new legislation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 06:13:47 pm »
you might like to have a look at the business link or the dti websites, they have always been useful in the past.

re contracts, for some time all employees are entitled to contracts after 13 weeks, ( i may be slightly out of date with that)

regarding diasbled employees, organisations with X number of employees, should make provision to be able to employ those with disabilities.

regards

martin

sls_cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:25:55 pm »
Hi martin,

thanks for the info, the adverts for the disabled have been on the radio recently they tell you that the new law is coming 1st oct 2004 but never tell you what you need to do, it talks about discrimination, i was just wondering what i need to do if anything as i have staff working for me.

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 06:31:19 pm »
the recent media campaign re disabled, is to do regarding disabled access into public places, ie pubs shops restaurants, etc.

which is potentailly a nightmare for smaller business

martin

sls_cleaning

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 06:39:55 pm »
Thanks martin that clarifies it for me.  :o

karen

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 04:02:36 pm »
ACAS run very good training couses.  They are currently running couses on New Discipline & Grievance Regulations. You can find out more about their current training programme on their web site www.acas.org.uk

Hope this helps.
Karen

sls_cleaning

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 08:05:19 pm »
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the info, sounds good

Fox

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 01:18:10 am »
Hi

Good subject - with us being in the business that we are (working mainly from others premises) isn't the main responsibility on those firms when it involves contractors?  I understand we have to have resonable access to our own premises but if we were responsible for access to everwhere disabled may work for us it would be a nightmare.

I wonder if the governing bodies have even thought of that one!

martin19842

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 01:24:27 am »
the operator of the premises is responsible for the access arrangements to their premises.  

therefore the financial cost is on the shoulders of those people, and that is where the problems start.

we as employers owe a duty of care to our employees re all relavant H & S matters, risk assessments, method statements etc.

whether a disabled employee, would have a valid case against their employer if they were the appointed operative for a building that  they could not reasonably access, well thats one that would have to be tested in court.  

and lets be honest about this, in todays world it probably wont be long before we saw something like this in court.

regards

martin