Nikki

Domestic cleaning
« on: September 04, 2004, 03:05:11 am »
Am keen on the idea of starting my own domestic cleaning business as at the moment i clean for 3 different people and have had alot of positive feed back on the quality of my work.
Truth is I have no idea on what I need to be aware of once I have posted fliers and got the ball rolling.
I know it's a job I will be good at but it's making that first step.

:D

Fox

Re: Domestic cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 04:18:03 am »
Nikki

Hi sorry to put a dampner on things but so many people say
I know it's a job I will be good at
yep go for it if you are going to clean the houses yourself but otherwise it's not good at cleaning you need to be but - management, human resources, accountancy, marketing & sales etc.

If you think you have these skills and have the capital (cleaning is a cash business and I don't mean dodgey!)  Then go ahead and I for one wish you luck.

Fox

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 02:23:28 pm »
Hi Nikki

With Fox on that one, get as much advice as possible on the running side of things.  

I am in the same boat with start up and have experience running small businesses but there is still so much you need to know and learn.  I am very tired at the moment getting it all sorted as well as keeping current customers happy!

Maybe try your local Business Link/Inland Revenue, etc for advice on the legal bits, planning your business, etc.

Good luck
Bev

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 11:08:47 pm »
Nikki

I would also check out training with BIC’S org this would give you some cred with customers.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 11:57:57 am »
i dont believe that BICs is an organisation that is known by the housewife.  They have more of a standing in the commercial sector, especially when working for larger clients who are becoming more aware of the health and safety side of things. and therefore are relying on BICs for that.

The domestic market place offers potential to earn reasonable money, there is always a risk, but usually no risk means no gain.

one of your biggest things willl be whether your staff are self employed or are directly employed by you,  once that decision is made then pubilc liability insurance is the next step, along with that will be your H and S requirement and all the elements associated with it.

any other questions please ask.

regards

martin

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 03:09:37 pm »
Agreed with BIC's, I could not see too much in joining being domestic at the moment, but maybe as we grow.

Check out these ones.

http://www.confcleanprof.org.uk/index.html

http://www.fsb.org.uk/

http://www.coshh-essentials.org.uk/

http://www.nfmwgc.com/

http://www.clean it upcouncil.org/

An assortment of helpful sites for me anyways.  There are billions more.

Best of luck
Bev

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 10:05:23 pm »
Sorry if I did not make clear, I was not referring to joining BICs only the training part. And advertise the fact, time to move away from the Mrs mop attitude by the customers.

Martin I agree mainly commercial sector, but there training can also be applied to the domestic side expressly HS, which I sorry to say some here don’t know what you are talking about!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

martin19842

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 12:36:55 am »
well tomorrow, i will be finaliasin my COSHH assessments, and they are then being submitted to a large developer, we are looking at one vehicle on site full time for three years.

and if you dont have your paperwork, you dont even get on site.

regards

martin

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 01:34:22 am »
Sorry if I did not make clear, I was not referring to joining BICs only the training part. And advertise the fact, time to move away from the Mrs mop attitude by the customers.

Martin I agree mainly commercial sector, but there training can also be applied to the domestic side expressly HS, which I sorry to say some here don’t know what you are talking about!

Len

Hi Len

I have to say for me it is the cost that stops me from joining BICs and training at the moment, as I said down the track I will review.  I too want to get away from the "Char Lady" attitude are much more than that.  

Kind regards
Bev

Fox

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 01:47:43 am »
Anyone can be a member of BICs - pay your money - become a member - training by them different kettle of fish.

Admin - Why is Nikki now a guest and not a member?  Hope my post didn't put her off wasn't meant maliciously.

Fox

martin19842

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 12:13:11 pm »
another thing that provides a professional image is that your cleaning operatives were to wear an emboidered polo shirt or tabard, i know it doesnt sound much, but they dont cost the earth, and then if you supply the cleaner with either two or three ddepending on the amount of work.  then you can insist that they turn up in their CLEAN SMART uniform.

we supply all kit, even though our construction site op's wear JEANS they are all supplied by us, so we insist that they are clean.

regards

martin

DomesticAgency

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 09:30:25 pm »

Hi all,

interesting point is raised again when you set up an agency. Do you employ the staff or have them self employed??

If you employ you have all the over heads that go with it so your price will reflect this.

If you run it where the cleaners are self-employed you will be looking over your shoulder at the Inland revenue cos they do not like that set up one bit.

If your cleaners are self employed though your price can be really competitive and you will get business.

We looked at both and though the self employed looked tempting -we decided to employ.

Regards
Domestic

Lesley J

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 02:26:35 am »
I started a year ago, its worked out ok so far, very busy
very stressed at times, I have a good team of cleaners, but they have their off days like us all, and they do a naff job, the buck stops with yourself, its down to you to face the client and put it right, then you wonder why  did I want to start my own business?
Lesley Tyrrell