Fox

Polished Floor
« on: September 03, 2004, 10:44:43 am »
I have a contract which was started about 3 months ago.  The reception floor is real wood and was really dull.  I used a high solids polish and started buffing weekly.  The floor looks great no problem.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had reports from the client that people are slipping on the floor.  I have stopped the cleaners using any chemical when mopping, reduced the buffing to fortnightly and asked the client to report any incidents with information regarding footwear, weather conditions and which part of the building they are entering reception from.  

I know the treatment I have given this floor will not have made it a slip hazard however the client is wanting me to solve the problem.  The cleaners have put alot of work into this and it would be a real shame to let it go to pot.

Any suggestions?

Fox

martin19842

Re: Polished Floor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 11:47:51 am »
ive always been concerned on any polishd floor, the effects of weekly machine buffing.

I have had many clients wanting this, but not really knowing the the cost implication or the possible hazard.

you are right the floors look great.

my thoughts would be to strip the polish back and start again.  i have instances in the past where polish has not been stripped properly and then polish on polish develops.

regards

martin

Fox

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 04:07:19 am »
Thanks Martin for your reply I am not prepared to spend the time and money doing that job, I know the client won't pay, but sound advice.  I didn't just plonk polish on other applications - it was all done properly - (strip and seal) have had some good advice about the amount of buffing (especially as the staff think more is best) that now sorted.  Hope this will sort things but still open to opinions.

Fox

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 07:08:23 pm »
Hi Fox,

There could be many reasons why the floor has become slippery. You’ve highlighted one possibility as contamination that’s been tracked into the building from outside. Does this company have an engineering workshop on site? A machine lubricant may be causing problems etc.

It may also be from incompatible floor products e.g. polish, cleaner or maintainer. The floor may also need burnishing daily to repair foot traffic damage and to harden the coating. Please note that proper cleaning and daily burnishing does not make a floor slippery.

However, proper burnishing of a qood quality floor finish involves using machines capable of 1500rpm or higher with clean burnishing pads.

Wooden sports floors that I have been asked to inspect because of complaints that the floor had become slippery have always been caused by improper cleaning techniques. Dirty dust-control mops, over dilution of cleaning products, not changing the mopping solution regularly etc.

Also, wooden floors should not be stripped using water-based agents. They should be sanded back to allow for proper adhesion of the wood floor seal and wood floor coating without causing damage to the floor. Wood will absorb moisture, distort and lift. The worst wooden floors I have seen for moisture damage has been in the leisure industry.  The cleaners had thrown buckets of water over the floor (daily) diluted with a high pH cleaning agent and then scrubbed it in. The surface of the floor crumbled and was not repairable. The replacement floor cost the cleaning contractor £50,000 and also the contract.

Regards

Steve

Fox

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 10:47:33 am »
Thanks for that Steve

I have an appointment with the client today for quality control audit will no doubt be discussing the floor!

Fox

martin19842

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 02:00:00 am »
quality control audits, WHAT FUN,

i am working with a National House builder and every month, we get a print out of performance by contractor and by site.

if people spent morre time concentrating on doing the work as opposed to filling in all the labourious paperwork, that seems to be the business life now, then maybe we would all be just as well off

regards

martin

Fox

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 12:15:54 pm »
Hi Martin

Yes you are right!  But saying we carry out quality control audits is a great selling point if a pain in the bum!  ;)

This one was a breeze!  The client said we would walk the building but didn't need to look too much as she knew everything was fine, so that's what we did and she signed off the audit no problem  ;D ;D

As for the floor she said there hadn't been anymore incidents and told me she actually thought it was the type of shoes people were wearing as they have all been women wearing heels!  Will still have to keep an eye on the situation though.

Fox

martin19842

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 11:52:14 pm »
see

our industry gets blamed for everything, something goes missing, or something happens, "AH IT MUST BE THE CLEANERS" dont you just love em ?

regards

martin