A_to_Z_Clean

Staff from Hell
« on: October 02, 2003, 01:12:07 pm »
>:(
Hello,
Today i have day from hell. I'm expanding my cleaning company soo i need new cleaners.I have 3 of them in this week and 0 of them come to work today!!!!!
Anty help with this, how to make sure that cleaner will came to work????
Contract, deposit or wath???

Thanks For Help
Adam
AtoZ Clean

p.s. Eny errors with my english let me know please.(i'm foreign)

neil 47

Re: Stuff from Hell
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 01:43:07 pm »
are u paying them enough to keep them
pay them a week in hand
IICRC

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 01:48:02 pm »
It's a scenario i dread the most. I guess you have to pay them slightly more than other companies in the local area and also keep them loyal by adding other incentives such as bonus payments after they have completed certain number of hours etc. It might mean having to hike up your prices slightly but I guess it's worth it if it means not letting your clients down

Can I ask what kind of contract you offer your employees (see previous threads) are they on a permanent contract or do you sub-contract them?

Hope today is a little better for you

Claire

A_to_Z_Clean

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 02:42:57 pm »
Dear Clarie

Thanks .My cleaners are student from EU idiotries so they are allowed to work 20h per week without tax and NI. ;D
I got this idea form another companies ( i know 10 of them doing the same thing)
I'm working on agency bases so i Have number of customers and cleaner is going to house.
I don't gona pay more becuse i work I disagree off to got new customers and it is costing me small fortune :o :o
Weeek in hand is good i will try that.

Adam
AtoZ Clean

And today is better i got 8000 flayers so let go to work :D :D

Thanks Godd Luck for All

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 03:42:23 pm »
Hi Adam

ahh, the day from hell, we all have them (sadly)

staff are an absolute nightmare, in any form. It's all want, want, want and I need, and 'can't/won't do that' and the law and legislation is all in their favour.

i will be going and recommend sub-contracting. If they don't do the work, they don't get paid and they are responsible for their own tax and NI.

Of course this doesn't help you if they don't turn up in the first place, but at least it cuts your costs. If you pay them a week up front and they still don't turn up, you're stuffed.

Regards

Martin

P.S don't apologise for being foreign.

A_to_Z_Clean

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 04:34:58 pm »
;D ;D ;D
Thanks All

Next cleaner who don't show up to work will have raealy bad day ;D ;D ;D

I'm realy nice person but i have my limits.

Ok end of talkig go back to work( we all need to get some money ;D ;D)
Adam
AtoZ Clean

noracarlin

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 01:53:17 am »
High employment is your problem - staff can get a job anywhere these days, unless you pay them a good hourly rate.  Cleaners in this area are getting up to £10 an hour!  I pay mine monthly.

Nora

Arleys Angels

Derek

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 10:25:46 am »
Hi

Sub contracting.... I understood that Government legislation had all but ruled this out.

If someone works for you on a regular basis then YOU may be liable for their tax and insurance.
The only way I can see around this is for them to form a company and give you invoices each week...messy.

Please check it out before you go down this route.

Regards
Derek

Musicman

Stuff from Hell
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 12:49:09 pm »
I believe you are right Derek.

I work on a self-employed basis doing freelance sales/consultancy work in the office cleaning industry. (This is essentially sub-contracting myself to cleaning contractors.)

When I set up I consulted with the Inland Revenue who obviously have strict rules on sub-contracting. I understand that anyone acting as a sub-contractor in this role (and this would apply to cleaners) cannot do more than 40% of their work for one person - therefore I must have at least 3 clients. I had to get a letter of acceptance from the IR before I could start.

With all due respect to cleaners, asking them to set up in a self employed role (and all the paperwork and accounting involved) is a bit much.

I've been reading these threads and thinking that it can't be possible to take cleaners on as sub-contractors.

In my experience, if you pay your staff well, give them proper support and management, decent equipment and materials to work with, and incentivise and motivate them, and look after them they will not let you down (well not too often).

This industry is hardly rocket science but it is unbelievable how many companies can't get it right.

Good luck to you (as long as you're not cleaning offices in my area) but if you do decide to sub-contract your staff I believe it will come back to haunt you.

Musicman

Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

The Great One

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 01:21:35 pm »
That will be the law and legislation I was talking about then. 8)

Tricky ground it seems...

How about only using each cleaner less than 20 hours per week???

Is that possible and would it work???

Just a thought

Regards

Martin ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 01:52:03 pm »
I think that if they earn less than £76 (ish) per week then they are under the national insurance threshold, so you as an employer won't have to calculate their tax and NI contributions, nor will they be entitled to sick pay or maternity pay, however I think they are still entitled to 4 weeks paid holiday each year (is this pro-rata?).

All of this of course depends on whether they have a job with someone else  or not - tricky

Musicman

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 03:21:48 pm »
The Employer's liability for NI kicks in at £89.00 (12.8% of any amount above that).

Whilst it is possible (in theory) to take on cleaners who are prepared to work on a self-employed basis for 3 or more companies let me ask, do you really want to take on someone in such a capacity, and what level of commitment do you really think you will get from them?

A further element to take into consideration is that for them to be genuine sub-contractors they must be responsible for a reasonable amount of the cost going into the work - so will need to supply their own vacuums, chemicals, materials etc.

This really is a route to stay away from - find an alternative! The contract cleaning industry already has a bad enough reputation, please don't enhance it!!

For the record I'm aware of at least one cleaning company who gains business under their own name and then sub-contracts the entire contract to a third party (individual or group of cleaners). This is within the law as the cleaners are entirely responsible for the contract - even down to the provision of relief staff during the holidays of the regular cleaners. They submit an invoice to the original party who in turn invoice the client.

This is in the commercial cleaning sector, so may or may not apply to your line of business.

With regards to holiday pay, the national minimum is 4 weeks of which the 8 Bank Holidays can be included.

The 20 hours bit is irrelevant.

Musicman
Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

The Great One

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 05:32:42 pm »
Hi All

I feel I have to clarify my position here.

I am not trying to 'enhance' anything.

The whole staff issue is a minefield as we can see. I have had staff before and you can be breaking the law without even knowing it.

You have to calculate their tax and pay thier NI. Cover for holidays and take into account bank holidays and holiday entitlement. If they are sick, student, pregnant then there is statutory sick, maternity pay and student loan reductions.
you also have to calculate their NI contributions and pay a part of that (employer contributions), also don't forget how much pay to date, amount of free pay they are entitled too plus any tax credits.

If you do this youself you can either do it by hand on form P11 (nightmare) or buy the software sage runs from £50 for instant accounts to £500 for sage accounts. then you can ask your accountant to do it which can cost from £100+ (per business, per month).

Add on to this your staff with the full weight of the law and legislation on their side with I want this/ and all of that. Won't do this/or any of that. Plus if they get hurt working for you they of course might just want to sue you (the icing on the cake)

I am new to the cleaning industry so please excuse any cleaning related mistakes on my part.

Staff I am not new too

Regards

Martin

A_to_Z_Clean

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2003, 01:49:24 am »
Hi All

I did't know is soo much trouble with stuff.But - life is brutal soo im still doing this and next one ( cleaner) no coming to work will get his/hers ass k.... ;D ;D ;D

Adam
AtoZ Clean
P.s I'm not interested in offices ;D ;D

DP

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2003, 03:16:22 am »
I don’t know if this might be of any use, however in my search over the last 10 weeks of visiting various Franchise companies (subject of a different post) up and down the country and talking to their current franchisees, I deduced from a multi national "Maid" type franchise that they didn’t pay their staff an hourly rate they pay them on a percentage basis which adds incentive and reduces absenteeism.

One guy stated that he went through a lot of grief in the early days when his staff would not turn up, until he realized that not turning up was the norm not the exception. Therefore he begun to over staff i.e. he has 12 staff at the mo however he only ever works about 8 on a daily basis. His advice was to employ as many staff as you can assuming that at least 1/3 will not turn up for work.

DP.
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

The Great One

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2003, 02:30:24 pm »
You can always ask friends if they need to earn a bit of extra cash, single mums etc etc.

Just a thought??

Martin

petra

Re: Staff from Hell
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2003, 05:33:52 pm »
Hi
I have been running my own cleaning business for over 2 years now,and I have found that you do get the odd few that mess about, but insentives do help. I have just introduced employee of the month, which boosts self esteem and does make them more eager to please. A good christmas treat and talking to staff does help too.
Ask them why they have not turned up. Also use a good disaplinary procedure

Kenny_Dobson

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 03:01:26 am »
I am new to cleaning but not new to self employment.
I used to own a rail engineering and consutancy company and my guys were roughly taking home between £800 - £1500 weekly. I had approx 26 full time employees and had to think of a way to get around NI & all the paye issues.Eventually i came into contact with a company called futerlink which basically acted as the employers with my consent and charged me £20 per man per week they then in turn gave each employee  1 share in the company and paid them weekly on the basic minimum wage per hour ie:60 hours at £4.75 they would only get taxed on the minimum wage and thye rest of there earnings would be paid in way of dividends.The employee would submit a expense sheet (in our case we would do this for them)and the third party would offset there expenses against there dividends, any shortfall would go down as corporation tax but it would be minimalistic.In all the employee would earn approx 20% more and because they are paid through a different company with your sole consent would then become the responsibility of that company eliminating all holiday pay etc from yourself!
This inturn would add a further 20% profit margin for you.

Ingenious eh!

Hope this helps

Wiz

Fox

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 03:32:05 am »
Sorry wiz

What a load of pants!  

Get info and facts - your post is misleading - what you are talking about is very complex for the average business person - dream on matey! (no offence obviously  :-*)

Fox

Kenny_Dobson

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 03:39:41 pm »
Not pants Fox although I respect your opinion i'm going on fact not fiction, and yes it is a complex procedure but what are you trying to say? That the average wouldn't grasp the idea.

In fact youre probably right in that respect that is why people say Load of pants because if they can't understand how it works they usually knock it

Wiz