jonathan d

what to include in cleaning tenders?
« on: April 19, 2006, 09:47:33 am »
I am preparing a tender for cleaning an office building with between 250 to 300 staff members. As this is the first tender that I have been asked to produce I am unsure as to what is necesarry other than price, hours and a brief company background?

Jonathan

martin19842

Re: what to include in cleaning tenders?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 01:15:27 pm »
hi there

H and S
COSHH
Risk Assessments
Method Statements
Public Liability
References

regards

martin

jonathan d

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:47:48 pm »
Thanks for the help Martin, however I now have other questions for you if thats ok?
1- What is needed to be included in H and S
2- What is COSHH
3- What is needed to be included in Risk assessments and Method statements

Also I live in Australia so some of these things may be a little different but I really appriciate the help

willinghands

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:32:31 am »
Hello jonathan d   ;D

I am also from down under in Sydney. you can email me if you like.on jozsephb@yahoo.com
if go to onto the net into the search engin and make a search"Tenders" you will come up with a company cald "Tendersearch"  http://www.tendersearch.com.au/
they can help you. They will even write the tenders proposal for you ( at a fee) as it is an art in it self. They are based in Victoria but it should not be a problem.
I personaly have not done any Tendering as I am new in the cleaning biz.
if you do a search on the net you will come up with others as well.
Any way have alook and hope to hear from you.

Tim Downer

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:16:18 pm »
Hi Jonathan

Also for your tender pack.....

Any relevant industry certification and standards you may have.
Your enviromental policy.
Health and safety policy.
Your companies policy on recruitment, training and related personnel policies.
Clear financial and operational information for that site, with a clear overview of the services, costs and key aspects of the contract.....personally, i write everything down, especially in my breakdown of costs, so that the client knows exactly what they are paying for, and with all the enclosed details, both you and the client will understand what is to be cleaned etc without ANY misconseptions by either party.

That is aswell as the above H&S policis / documentation, Risk assessments, cleaning specifications, COSHH, Insurance details, terms and conditions etc etc etc.....all neatly packaged in a presentation folder. Usually end up with 90+sheets of paper......but there you go.

Kind Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

keen2clean

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 03:54:20 pm »
apoligies if i come accross as a real amateur here but what is a tender is it like a quote or something?
Im just wondering in my head if it is that how can that much deetailed analysis be done before you gaint he contract
thansk for any response
ray

Tim Downer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:07:22 am »
"Tender" is the same as "Quotation /Quote"

When a Client wants a company to do something - like the cleaning, they put it out for Tender, which is a process to get cleaning companies (in this example) to put a price in for the work, and the client chooses a company to do the work from all the written offers or bids for that contract, from people like us.

Have i confused you now????

Kind Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

keen2clean

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »
oh rite i thaught it was something like that but i just cant get my head around how u get ninety pages worth of information about the building and all the different, individual health and safety needs of that particular buildng
many thanks ray

shelton

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 01:29:49 pm »
Generally, a team from the customer will sit down to review all the tender returns.  What they should be providing in the first place, is an RFP document, which will detail everything that they are expecting you to provide.  You can, of course, provide over and above what they are expecting.

In a past life I have reviewed tender documents relating to multi-million dollar hardware purchases and network cable installations.  The quality of the tender replies, even at this level, varies greatly.

The customer will have a scorecard to review all of the tenders against, such as presentation, the answers they do or don't give, references given/not given, etc. as well as the price.

This sort of system allows them to compare different suppliers on a like for like basis.

cleanall

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 05:16:59 pm »
It may help you to know that I clean have an exact module for this. I suggest you contact Mike Boxall for details

Tim Downer

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 06:28:23 am »
Kleen2cleen......

With reference to your query on the amount of pages i have, the Risk Assessments alone are 31 pages long for one site......another site which had extra to the norm was 38 oages long, which covered every thinkable aspect of cleaning etc that will be done on that particular site.

Then you have the H&S side...........another 25+ pages covering the "safety at work" training, policies etc etc.

Then the cleaning specification........ ???  ??? .......and so it goes on

Kind Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

keen2clean

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 11:51:48 am »
i really dont want to label the point and im sure im missing something obvious but hey ill ask ne way.lol Do u just say when you are asked to quote iw ill ahev to come in and spemnd a while in the office to add h and s and risk assesments into my quote or do u just do guess work by what they ask ypu to clean
thanks ray

shelton

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 02:13:47 pm »
Hi Ray,

I guess it depends on the level of information your prospective customer wants to see.  This thread is specifically talking about tenders, so, yes, you'd need to include H&S, COSHH, etc . .. as detailed above.

To do that, I'd suggest you'd need to do a detailed survey yourself, rather than a cursory tour.  To be frank, a lot of the rubbish you produce will never get looked at, but is required to get the necessary ticks in the boxes when the tender repsonses get reviewed.

If, however, you are quoting for "standard" office cleaning, the quantity of the paperwork you'll be supplying should be greatly reduced.  The bottom line at this level is usually the price, in my experience.

Tim Downer

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 04:24:36 pm »
Yes, to think that all the hard work that was done at the begining to produce such a quantity of information that will never be looked at, does seem annoying.....however, as has just been mentioned, they are necessary to have in the Tender documents.
But the good news, is that once you have done these many sheets of info, you will never have to do that work again, as you will have saved them on the computer, to use each time.
All you would have to do is include the relevent sheets to your clients needs, and discard the rest......Job done.

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager