Tom-01

Resin bonded driveway clean - help please
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:40:49 pm »
Hi guys, can you look at the attached picture please.

Two things:

1) Any idea what that big red stain could be?

2) How best to clean the entire surface without leaving the stripes? We've done this a couple of times and it's looked pretty good but it takes ages. Someone else has had a go and it looks a state! The problem is the water doesn't drain away so we normally use a whirl away and then spend a while washing away with a lance. I was thinking strong concentration of hypo and turbo nozzle to wash off?

Any help and ideas would be welcome.

Thanks guys
tom

Ian101

Re: Resin bonded driveway clean - help please
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:15:26 pm »
think hydraulic fluid is red such as auto gearboxes

Tom-01

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:54:24 pm »
I was thinking something along the lines from some sort of plant machinery.... Any idea of how to get rid of it?

Tom-01

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »
Any help from anyone please on this..?

Thanks
Tom

drive surgeon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »
Coat the drive red!   Seriously the owner must know what the stain was caused by and then take it from there.

Tom-01

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 06:37:21 pm »
These guys are filthy rich Russians and have no clue what goes on there, they have people working for them who are equally clueless!

Any advice on how to clean this surface without using a surface cleaner? Would hypo do the trick?

Jettaway

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 06:56:52 pm »
I have no idea what that stain is.  But if their that clueless and rich, safest bet for you is to tell them to get it re layed.

Minus that I could tell you how to clean it.

How experienced are you with hypo?

Tom-01

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:22:13 pm »
Believe it or not they are thinking about getting the whole drive re-done! It is a massive area.

We've used it a little bit on a patio. If you could help me with the application it would be much appreciated.

Do you apply it with a sprayer and agitate with a broom then pressure clean? How much do you need to dilute it?

Jettaway

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »
I've gotta be honest bud, for the strength and amount you would need to do this job it is not for the inexperienced.

Plus if you can't get that stain out it seems pointless. If you take it on and can't get that stain out it will look bad on you. Could be more hassle than its worth.

But feel free to email anytime or ring me tomorrow

Roger Oakley

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 08:44:00 pm »
Hypo ain't going to do that mate, plus you work in the same area as me, if you want to email me, I'll happily come over and have a look at this for you? Not going to nick your work as I'm to busy to undertake this anyway. If I can help you I will.

Kenny83

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 08:47:41 pm »
i would blanket the whole area in hypo run through a venturi, it wouldn't need to be strong to get rid of streaking I reckon, as for the red stain, either ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or maybe rust?
Degreaser / tfr if it's hydraulic / ATF fluid and you could try a weak hydro chloric acid if its rust, or maybe speak to keving martin for something more specific for rust, whatever it is it shouldn't be a big problem realy as resin bound aggregate is coated in very chemical resistant polyurethanes or epoxys so should only have a surface bond, this is also good as it means you can use most cleaning chemicals (apart from very strong solvents / strippers) without any risk of adverse reactions :).... on saying that the afore mentioned advice is only good if aslong as the resin had been periodically topped up. It also applies to the trowel on system (resin bound) and not the scatter coat (resin bonded) system as on the scatter coat the aggregates are exposed so forget any advice I have given you :)
Hope that makes sense??
 ;D
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Roger Oakley

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 08:53:44 pm »
i would blanket the whole area in hypo run through a venturi, it wouldn't need to be strong to get rid of streaking I reckon, as for the red stain, either ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or maybe rust?
Degreaser / tfr if it's hydraulic / ATF fluid and you could try a weak hydro chloric acid if its rust, or maybe speak to keving martin for something more specific for rust, whatever it is it shouldn't be a big problem realy as resin bound aggregate is coated in very chemical resistant polyurethanes or epoxys so should only have a surface bond, this is also good as it means you can use most cleaning chemicals (apart from very strong solvents / strippers) without any risk of adverse reactions :).... on saying that the afore mentioned advice is only good if aslong as the resin had been periodically topped up. It also applies to the trowel on system (resin bound) and not the scatter coat (resin bonded) system as on the scatter coat the aggregates are exposed so forget any advice I have given you :)
Hope that makes sense??
 ;D

That made no sense to me Lee!!!!! That ain't rust from the photo? The stripes looks like some idiot has tried to clean it before and doesn't have a clue. Gardeners maybe? using or filling something, 2-stroke maybe. Offer is in my previous answer to the OP.

Kenny83

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:05:50 pm »
Hope that makes sense??
 ;D

That made no sense to me Lee!!!!! That ain't rust from the photo? The stripes looks like some idiot has tried to clean it before and doesn't have a clue. Gardeners maybe? using or filling something, 2-stroke maybe. Offer is in my previous answer to the OP.

Lol, it was a bit comlex... especially the bit when I told him to disregard all my advice if it's the scatter coat system lol.....
Would you not say the stripes look like surface cleaner over lapping Rog?
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Jettaway

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 09:13:01 pm »
I've done one similar and got stripes (although not as bad as that) and 3:1 didn't get rid of stripes. Iy reduced but didn't eliminate completely. Had to go stronger

Tom-01

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »
Its the scatter coat system, hence why the water doesn't run away easily. We've cleaned it a couple of times before and its always come up looking really good and the client is very pleased. Last year half of the drive was a mud bath and we got it looking mint, so no worries there. I just wondered if there's and easier/quicker way, i.e. using hypo?

Thanks Rog, I am going to have a look tomorrow and I will probably take you up on your offer.

Tom

Roger Oakley

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 10:49:52 pm »
Lee,
Yes overlap from the previous attempt, someone expecting FSC to be the answer and not going back over it with a lance or the FSC again. Maybe 1 pass only when 2 is needed?

Chris,
Hypo can/will reduce the stripping effect, but 3:1 might not be strong enough as you are trying to remove ingrained dirt etc from the time before, 1:1 after pre-wetting then clean, I'd for go lance cleaning on this anyway

Tom,
Got your email mate, have replied, if you can get back to me asap then see you tomorrow PM.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 08:45:30 pm »
Up date,
Met up with Tom today, and it is Hydraulic oil, did a test and it comes out easy peasy, explained how to remove the streak marks as well, again quick test and these started to remove.
Top bloke as well. Any problems give me a call mate.

Jettaway

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »
Cheers Roge,  thats what I did.

Hows it going with the staff hunting?

Roger Oakley

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:47 pm »
Cheers Roge,  thats what I did.

Hows it going with the staff hunting?

I used a oil degreaser from Paul Crosbie, it is a solvent, but 20 secs on the stain bit of agitation and it comes off so work quick and the resin should/will be fine. It is a big old stain though.

No reply's other then one on FB, but I know Roger Roberts he's a family friend but lives in Canada hence the to far to travel on a daily basis comment. It was just toe in the water on FB, will advertise locally around Xmas. Start will be January time, and I'd hope to have the right person getting up to speed by late March for when the decking season starts as we have loads booked in already.

BDCS

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 10:04:14 pm »
Don't place the ad on AA this time  ;)

Tom-01

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 11:45:14 pm »
Up date,
Met up with Tom today, and it is Hydraulic oil, did a test and it comes out easy peasy, explained how to remove the streak marks as well, again quick test and these started to remove.
Top bloke as well. Any problems give me a call mate.

Thanks for your help to today Roger, I'll keep you updated with the clean. Thanks for the info on materials to use as well, very helpful. See you in sunny Surrey again soon no doubt :)

Roger Oakley

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 06:13:25 am »
Don't place the ad on AA this time  ;)

Didn't think I did last time  >:( live & learn though