Kevin Miller

Weeds (what do you use)
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:41:12 pm »
Cleaned a mates drive 6 weeks ago and was lovely went round today and to my horror he had weeds coming back through the joints on the block paving I was gutted. I don't use weed killer as I've read your not allowed to unless you have a license. So my question has anybody returned to a drive they have cleaned weeks later only to find weeds and what do you guys use to avoid this.
Cheers

Mitchellmoxo

Re: Weeds (what do you use)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
Glyphosate mixed down and put it in a spray bottle

Jettaway

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »
as above and yes due to our stupid laws you do need a licence.

I have seen a lot of drives do the same as you describe, fortunately not one of my own jobs.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:20:00 pm »
All you did was blast the heads off when you cleaned the drive, leaving the roots ready to regrow a couple of weeks later.

You need to apply weedkiller before cleaning or they do if you want to follow the exact letter of the law and need a licence
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mitchellmoxo

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 11:39:08 pm »
Buy online & you dont need a license

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:25 pm »

If you honestly believe that ! " yes your honour, I bought it on line so the laws don't apply"  ::)roll

Roger Oakley

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:00:31 am »
And where did you hear that gem of information?

wpclean

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:49 am »
I usualy tell customers to use a weedkiller prior to cleaning if there are trees growing, it leaves the responsibilty on them if they choose to ignore  ;D

Kevin Miller

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:45:33 am »
Cheers for the response guys so what do you guys do, ie Thisbe without the licence? Do you just blast down as much as you can where the weeds are and hope to remove the roots? Do you tell the customer the weeds will come back so it's up to them to spray their drive with a weed killer once you have cleaned it? 

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 12:56:16 pm »
I act like an irresponsible cowboy and apply weedkiller without a licence.

Kevin Miller

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

Do you do this once you have cleaned the drive or a couple of weeks before you go cleaning it?

Mitchellmoxo

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 02:30:41 pm »

"
Dear Mitch
Thank you for your email and enquiry. We are only permitted to sell professional products over the counter if you can provide us with certificates of competence. These include PA1, PA6, NTPC certificates or a small holding number. If you have any of these, please bring them with you, we are open until 12 today and then back open again on Monday from 8.30. If you do not have such certificates available, the only other option is to order them online. By ordering online, your product will be despatched from us Monday and delivered to you on Tuesday. We regret that we are unable for you to make a collection, but hope you understand the explanation and situation
If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch again
Kind regards

- chemigro
"

Kevin Miller

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »

"
Dear Mitch
Thank you for your email and enquiry. We are only permitted to sell professional products over the counter if you can provide us with certificates of competence. These include PA1, PA6, NTPC certificates or a small holding number. If you have any of these, please bring them with you, we are open until 12 today and then back open again on Monday from 8.30. If you do not have such certificates available, the only other option is to order them online. By ordering online, your product will be despatched from us Monday and delivered to you on Tuesday. We regret that we are unable for you to make a collection, but hope you understand the explanation and situation
If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch again
Kind regards

- chemigro
"

To be fair though that doesn't clarify if we can use it on peoples drives without a license. It just says I can order it online without a license.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 03:19:05 pm »
What they are saying is buy it on line and they don't need proof of PA1 & PA6, so your problem if you are caught, go to there shop or whatever it is, then you have to show your certs or licence, don't know how they get away with that one?
Either way you still need PA1 & PA6 to use, so your choice.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »

Do you do this once you have cleaned the drive or a couple of weeks before you go cleaning it?

My webpage explains it....
http://patio-drive-cleaners-beverley.co.uk/Weed-and-oil-stains/weed-and-oil-stains.html

PoleKing

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:18 pm »
What they are saying is buy it on line and they don't need proof of PA1 & PA6, so your problem if you are caught, go to there shop or whatever it is, then you have to show your certs or licence, don't know how they get away with that one?
Either way you still need PA1 & PA6 to use, so your choice.

Similar to buying number plates.
Go into Halfords and they need paperwork-V5 and something else I think.
Order them online. £5 from eBay-no paperwork needed.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:15 pm »
Hi mike can I ask what u charge for monthly weed killing service..
Mrs smudger
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:35:14 pm »
It's built into the initial cost, most of our work is in A small area so we do it as we drive past during the normal working day. It's not really much bother and gets us more cleaning work

Roland S

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 11:01:01 pm »
Once you've taken pa1 and pa6 do you have to ever renew it or is it a case of once you've passed you've got it forever?

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 08:29:32 am »
Once you've taken pa1 and pa6 do you have to ever renew it or is it a case of once you've passed you've got it forever?

No once you have it you don't need to renew it.

Roland S

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:25 am »

No once you have it you don't need to renew it.

thanks

Kevin Miller

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:40:35 pm »
How do you go about getting one of the licences you need

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 10:48:47 pm »
How do you go about getting one of the licences you need
Kevin to get the licence you need to take two courses first the pa1 once you have that you can take the pa6  the courses are one day each and the total cost is about £380, and the cost of a face guard,  type 6 overall,  nitrol gloves, steel toe whellies and a  nap sac. Just look for a local agricultural collage, they only run the courses every month at the collage im going too.Hope that helps Justin