Aqua Power Solutions

Decking Stain Remover
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:48 pm »
Hi Guys , customer wants me to strip this deck back to its natural look . As you can see it has decking stain that is patchy,flaking off and looks awful. What is the Best solution to strip the stain off ?  Thanks in advance Ed   
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

Roger Oakley

Re: Decking Stain Remover
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:49:24 am »
What brand/product is the stain that is already on the decking?

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:04:39 am »
Hi Roger, I will ask the customer today , hopefully they will know! The pics make the deck look in reasonable condition but it is the worst one to date for me but I like the challenge   (with a little help from my friends) Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

drive surgeon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19:49 pm »
Looks like my decking at moment which was oiled rather than stained. Oil is better in my opinion as it can't peel. It doesn't look like stain to me unless it's a light stain.? 

Roger Oakley

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »
Hi Roger, I will ask the customer today , hopefully they will know! The pics make the deck look in reasonable condition but it is the worst one to date for me but I like the challenge   (with a little help from my friends) Ed
Did you get any info?

Neil Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:08:51 pm »
Roger, can I ask you how to remove decking paint. We have decking in our garden, it was like that when we moved here, flakey and patchey. I want to completely strip it and stain it properly.
It won't come off with pressure alone. In on part where the dog takes a pee it's all nice and original wood but I've struggled to get him to pee in different areas  ;D
I've looked at xylene, wondering whether that will work. Not to bothered about Eco route or protecting the plants as it won't go near them.
Op sorry for hijacking.

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:49:09 pm »
Roger , still waiting from the customer , looking back it also looks like the garden fence & decking fence was all done with the same product ?
Neil , no probs ! Roger is a God  regards Ed

Roger Oakley

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:08:58 pm »
Roger, can I ask you how to remove decking paint. We have decking in our garden, it was like that when we moved here, flakey and patchey. I want to completely strip it and stain it properly.
It won't come off with pressure alone. In on part where the dog takes a pee it's all nice and original wood but I've struggled to get him to pee in different areas  ;D
I've looked at xylene, wondering whether that will work. Not to bothered about Eco route or protecting the plants as it won't go near them.
Op sorry for hijacking.

Neil,
any chance you can either post on here or email me a photo of the decking?
Don't waste time with the Xylene route.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 07:12:23 pm »
Roger , still waiting from the customer , looking back it also looks like the garden fence & decking fence was all done with the same product ?
Neil , no probs ! Roger is a God  regards Ed
Just re-looked at the photos Ed, fence panels look a different colour then the deck?
The small handrail looks from the photos that it could be the same colour/product as the deck?
Just let me know once you know what they have used, then we can look at stripping the stuff off, from a guess I'd say then have used Ronseal, on the deck from the photos anyway.

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »
Thanks Roger, Keep you informed , Are you out of danger from the floods or still too close for comfort down there Roger .

Roger Oakley

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:13 pm »
Thanks Roger, Keep you informed , Are you out of danger from the floods or still too close for comfort down there Roger .
No all roads now open bar a couple, Thames gradually getting back  to near normal, tow-paths still flooded though, Surface water is pretty much all gone, finally took all sandbags away from doors etc on Friday. Still a good police presence as a lot of empty houses (flooded) and still low-lifes looting.
Cheers for asking mate, it was a very unsettling few weeks.

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:14:56 pm »
Good to hear Roger, I built you a boat made out of pallets in case you needed it ! , I have named it the 'Titanic'  ;D

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 09:11:40 pm »
WOC do decking cleaning in a powder that mixes hot then spray on a stiff brush then rinse/pressure wash seen pics on other channel and great results all though i haven't tried it myself.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

BDCS

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »
Sodium percarb probably

Roger Oakley

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 10:54:38 pm »
WOC do decking cleaning in a powder that mixes hot then spray on a stiff brush then rinse/pressure wash seen pics on other channel and great results all though i haven't tried it myself.
It's a cleaner of sorts, not a stripper which is needed here.

concept

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
Got a similar job on, customer used Liberon decking oil, but it's lifting in places after a few years.

Any ideas what's best?

Roger Oakley

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:37:16 pm »
Sorry for the late reply this site just hangs sometimes and can't sign in  :(
Products you are going to need are,
Prep-deck to strip/remove stain or oils & Net-Trol to brighten

Concept
For the Liberon decking oil removal 3:1 prep-deck mix to remove and Net-trol applied neat to brighten & neutralise. I have a 200 sq mt deck to do in Grimsby in a couple of weeks, Liberon oil failure.

Ed
Lets say it is a Ronseal finish, then 2:1 prep-deck mix to remove and Net-trol applied neat to brighten & neutralise. Might need a second temp as Ronseal stick like s**t to a blanket deepening on how many coats there are.

Neil Jones
For the paint, seeing as it is flaking off and dog pee is removing it then 3:1 prep-deck mix to remove and Net-trol applied neat to brighten & neutralise. But you could even try a Hypo wash first if you wanted? seeing as the dog pee is removing it already, which would work out cheaper.

Dwell time for all the above would be 20-30 mins for the Prep-Deck and around 20 mins for the Net-Trol. After using Prep-Deck you HAVE to neutralise the wood so YES you have to use the Net-trol
So it is a 2 step approach to this type of work, you can go step 3 & 4 if you want to take it to a different level in finishing.

These products can to bought from here http://www.owatrol.com
I can't help you with cost's as we buy X amount each month so have discounts in place etc, the products are not cheap but work, so factor this in when you quote/cost etc.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:16 pm »

Concept
For the Liberon decking oil removal 3:1 prep-deck mix to remove and Net-trol applied neat to brighten & neutralise. I have a 200 sq mt deck to do in Grimsby in a couple of weeks, Liberon oil failure.

Ed
Lets say it is a Ronseal finish, then 2:1 prep-deck mix to remove and Net-trol applied neat to brighten & neutralise. Might need a second temp as Ronseal stick like s**t to a blanket deepening on how many coats there are.

Neil Jones
For the paint, seeing as it is flaking off and dog pee is removing it then 3:1 prep-deck mix to remove and Net-trol applied neat to brighten & neutralise. But you could even try a Hypo wash first if you wanted? seeing as the dog pee is removing it already, which would work out cheaper.

Dwell time for all the above would be 20-30 mins for the Prep-Deck and around 20 mins for the Net-Trol. After using Prep-Deck you HAVE to neutralise the wood so YES you have to use the Net-trol
So it is a 2 step approach to this type of work, you can go step 3 & 4 if you want to take it to a different level in finishing.

I can't help you with cost's as we buy X amount each month so have discounts in place etc, the products are not cheap but work, so factor this in when you quote/cost etc.

Sorry to steal in on the thread  :-*

Have u a link to the 2 products mentioned?

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:19 pm »

Concept

Ed

Neil Jones

Sorry to steal in on the thread  :-*

Have u a link to the 2 products mentioned?

Just seen the link sorry  :P
I'll get my coat ;D

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:30:11 pm »
Roger , you are a legend. Will confirm the product when the customer gets back to me but thankyou for your input . Send me your invoice for consultation fee. !  ;D