Tim Downer

How much to give??
« on: February 27, 2006, 08:26:34 pm »
Hi people

I have in my health and safety policy.....a section dealing with PAT Testing, and that all machines would be PAT Tested once a year.

As the machines are used all the time....would a PAT Test once a year be sufficient?

How often do you have yours tested?

Would every 3 months be too often?? Or once a month be an overkill??

I will be honest and say that in over a year and half, i still have the same machines.....and they never been tested  :-[

I now have the PAT Tester thingy whatsit and am just setting up a program for all the machines and their testing dates / frequency, next due date for test etc etc

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

CMS

Re: How much to give??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:17:55 pm »
Tim

You have the machine but have you had the training and been certificated?

12 months is the norm for PAT testing of vac's buffing machines etc.

The thing to remember is that new machines, delivered from the manufacturer will comply anyway and don't need PAT testing until they are 12 months old.

I understand that this type of work is something that you are just getting in to so unless you are starting contracts with old machinery it won't be a problem for another 12 months.

Note : Don't forget that Extension leads need to be PAT tested too. And step ladders etc. need to be tagged.

*Chris Browne

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 10:10:45 pm »
every electrical item inc extension leads etc need to be pat tested every 12 months,  you can buy your own machine to test, i believe there are some on ebay, but the best thing to do is arrange it so that any machinery left on your clients property is pat tested by them. write it in to your contract with them.

chris ;)

CMS

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:23:51 pm »
every electrical item inc extension leads etc need to be pat tested every 12 months,  you can buy your own machine to test, i believe there are some on ebay, but the best thing to do is arrange it so that any machinery left on your clients property is pat tested by them. write it in to your contract with them.

chris ;)

That's actually what we do. It saves all the hassle as they have to have theirs tested anyway. However, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that it is done (make it part of your site audits) so keep on top of it. Don't just trust that they will do it.

CMS

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:25:37 pm »
An alternative to them testing your equipment........................how about you testing theirs????

If you have the machine and the knowhow/certification, isn't that another string to your bow?

Tim Downer

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:33 am »
Thank you Karl and Chris for your comments. Yes, we have the unit and stickers etc in our office to test the machines - thanks to our sister company!! They are training me next week on how to plug it in and put the stickers on  ::)

However, did not realise about extention leads......and step ladders?? Think i had better go and see the health and safety officer a couple of desks down from me.

Might charge the customer to PAT Test their electrical items......how much though do you think would be a reasonable price to charge??

Thanks

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

lynngc

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:46:56 am »
karl, tim,

would the pat rules apply to domestic homes?
if staff are using customers electrical items, would they need pat testing?

opening a can of worms here. lol ;D   and it's snowing this morning here in wales, just thought i'd share this info with you. lol

lynn ;D ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

Tim Downer

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:57:13 am »
Its 7:55 here in Hertfordshire.....and no kidding, even though its cold outside, i am having to close the blinds due to sun in my face!!  8)

Be interesting to know about the domestic machines etc

Tim  ;D  ;D
Tim Downer
Manager

lynngc

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 08:00:55 am »
it would tim, as i use customers sometimes, but use my extension leads. then theres the steamers etc.  i also use reach steps and ladders also.
mmm.  think i'll need to ask health & safety.

lynn
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

paul bruce

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 09:28:34 am »
Tim, as karl has already touched on you must have the machines PAT tested
every 12 month by an approved PAT tester with revelent qualifications, otherwise your insurance could be void for any accidents relating to the electrical equipment. I know it costs about £30 to get a carpet machine tested so gauge costs from there.
When you meet my fellow Newcastle lad Arthur at carpex make sure he buys you a coffee,
joking apart i met up with Arthur in the pub very nice guy.

Paul

Tim Downer

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 09:42:57 am »
Thank you very much Paul.....i will relay that message about the coffee to Arthur when i see him  ;D

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

martin19842

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 08:46:31 pm »
tim,

if its on sites, some developers are loking for every three months.

to be filed on site in the PUWER register

regards

martin

Timmy Boy

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:24:40 am »
Tim
On all the contracts we do I have found that the clients PAT tester usually goes looking for appliances to test so that the site complies to H&S. Because all my equipment has only just turned a year old the PAT tester sees the hoovers in the cupboard with no sticker on and just does it! As CMS says leave them the year and see what happens, you'll be suprised how many PAT testers have a rummage in your cupboard! :o

*Chris Browne

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:53 am »
Tim
On all the contracts we do I have found that the clients PAT tester usually goes looking for appliances to test so that the site complies to H&S. Because all my equipment has only just turned a year old the PAT tester sees the hoovers in the cupboard with no sticker on and just does it! As CMS says leave them the year and see what happens, you'll be suprised how many PAT testers have a rummage in your cupboard! :o

youve hit it on the head there! i think usually there is not enough electrical equipment to test in the average office , so to make it worth while the pat tester will test anything standing still!!

chris ;)

martin19842

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 12:23:22 pm »
hi there

even new equipment requires a pat tested labels and register for some developer construction sites

regards

martin

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 05:05:54 pm »
...i met up with Arthur in the pub very nice guy...
Paul

Thank you Paul for your kind words

Kind regards,
Arthur

Art

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 08:49:18 pm »
Tim, as karl has already touched on you must have the machines PAT tested
every 12 month by an approved PAT tester with revelent qualifications, otherwise your insurance could be void for any accidents relating to the electrical equipment. I know it costs about £30 to get a carpet machine tested so gauge costs from there.
When you meet my fellow Newcastle lad Arthur at carpex make sure he buys you a coffee,
joking apart i met up with Arthur in the pub very nice guy.

Paul

Paul,

A carpet machine ? If by that your talking about a carpet cleaning machine? If your being charged £30 your being ripped off big time.
To have my ninja pat tested costs less than a tenner and that's in the SE.

Arthur

CMS

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 07:22:29 am »
That does sound a bit steep

*Chris Browne

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 09:07:25 am »
if your paying that much, then it would be worth getting one off e-bay

chris

*Chris Browne

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 09:19:59 am »
If your only pat testing vacs, buffers, leads, then anyone one of these will do :

http://www.pat-training.co.uk/second_user_pat.htm

chris ;)

paul bruce

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 11:50:25 am »
Have not actually had the machine Pat tested yet as it is just coming up to a year old, the £30 was a price i was quoted off one company, so i reckon i will be ringing around for better deal, i have heard that HSS hire shops do PAT tests, is this right?

regards big Paul from the toon

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 03:52:28 pm »
I would recommend PAT testing much more frequently than yearly.

The big danger is damage to leads from twisting, pulling, chafing etc which could lead to (no pun intended) an electric shock risk from damaged cable, or from a broken earth conductor.

The other risk is cables being pulled from their grips at either the plug or the machine.

At a very minimum, ideally every time you use the machine, or at least once a week, you should:

1) check that the lead is secure at the plug and machine

2) run it through your fingers BEFORE PLUGGING IN!!!!! to feel for any kinks or cuts

3) check that the machine, and plug, is undamaged.

AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS, USE A RCD ADAPTOR IN THE WALL SOCKET!
That £10 adaptor from B&Q could save a life.