Ian101

Leaflet drop for pressure washing
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:03:47 am »
What return would you normally expect from a leaflet drop for pressure washing work ?

With window cleaning its normally 1 phone call for every 100 dropped on average.

Alan McTernan

Re: Leaflet drop for pressure washing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »
Hi Ian,

I think 1-3% is a standard return for any leafleting! Seeing as you are a window cleaner you already have a sound client base so I would start with them and then work from there.

Good luck
Regards
Alan

Matt Gibson

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:03 pm »
I think it depends on your area. I got a lot of response from my leaflets. probably 5% but i didnt drop many. i think its the time you drop them. get in first, be the first leaflet for your specific trade and people will keep it thinking they might get some work done.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:26 am »
The response from leaflets is around .005%  anyone who gets 3-5% should pack in work and just sell the design of the leaflet as it is the holy grail of leaflets

I do 30,000 a month, and have done for the last 12yrs. If you want to be in continuous work (meaning 6 days a week) from leaflets this is the amount you need to put out

5% means you get 50 calls from a 1000 leaflets
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

greg2040

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:34:55 am »
Mike do you mean 0.5%? ie 5 calls from 1000 leaflets?

If its 0.005% then thats only 1.5 calls from 30000 leaftets.

Also have you ever split test your leaflets to play around with the design and see which got a better response rate? From my experiance for domestic cleaning 0.5% is about right but not sure if carpet cleaning is more or less in demand.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:29 am »
greg, yes.. sorry.

to be more accurate I average  about 15jobs a week (60 a month)from my leaflets so that's 2 a 1000 (so is that 0.25%?) 

this is for carpet cleaning & pressurewashing, I have each service on opposite sides of the leaflet, carpet cleaning is a more popular service so the response for that is higher than pressurewashing, I believe a leaflet solely for pressurewashing would get a lesser response.

I've tried every variation of leaflets..... colour, size, text specail offers, solus. the response tend top hover around the same

greg2040

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:19:10 pm »
Hi Mike

thanks for the info. Always usefull to know roughly what to expect from a drop. I am debating between getting 1 leaflet delivered with domestic cleaning and making another for the new carpet cleaning avenue. Failing that I may do similar to you and put cleaning on 1 side and carpet cleaning on the other.

Hope you dont mind me asking you a few questions. are you leaflets delivered to different houses each month? If you do repeat the drops how often does each house get one of your leaflets? Does all of your work come from leaflet drops or do you advertise elsewhere?

Thanks
Greg

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:07:46 pm »
i live just outside a small  a small town  called beverley ( postcode hu17) consisting of 22k homes, every home in beverley receives my leaflet every month and has done so for the last 8ish years. I also deliver to a small town called cottingham which is 2 miles away from my home, it has 6k homes

90% of my work is a direct response to my leaflets..... but not all the 90% are new customers, because my leaflet is constantly delivered into the same area it mean all my existing customers also receive my leaflet every month, often this will prompt them to call (so with existing customer my leaflet act as a reminder letter)

i also have a small  Y/P advert which brings in 1 or 2 jobs a month and i'm top of google which is the same as the Y/P

BDCS

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 06:27:53 pm »
Many years ago I was regularly at Fosse Hill - is the jetski lake still going ? It was run by a chap called Tony Butterworth.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:39:13 pm »
Hello Mike,what is the method to get the 30,000 out monthly?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 06:52:38 pm »
use a local delivery company who put out my leaflet with an A5 advertising magazine.

fosse hill is still on the go just up the road on the way to hornsea

Ian101

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 10:43:35 am »
Hi Ian,

I think 1-3% is a standard return for any leafleting! Seeing as you are a window cleaner you already have a sound client base so I would start with them and then work from there.

Good luck
Regards
Alan

yup going after them first ... thanks !

Ian101

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:26 am »
i live just outside a small  a small town  called beverley ( postcode hu17) consisting of 22k homes, every home in beverley receives my leaflet every month and has done so for the last 8ish years. I also deliver to a small town called cottingham which is 2 miles away from my home, it has 6k homes

90% of my work is a direct response to my leaflets..... but not all the 90% are new customers, because my leaflet is constantly delivered into the same area it mean all my existing customers also receive my leaflet every month, often this will prompt them to call (so with existing customer my leaflet act as a reminder letter)

i also have a small  Y/P advert which brings in 1 or 2 jobs a month and i'm top of google which is the same as the Y/P

Gave me food for thought ..... my immediate area (my postcode + 3 miles) has according to post office customer finder approx 12500 customers which would cost me £1200+vat to get dropped so with a 0.5% response that would be approx 65 jobs which is plenty enough for me ... so as long as eack job value more than £22 I will be well in.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:11 pm »
Ian you have got your maths way wrong Do not spend £1,500 getting 12.5k leaflets delivered you will definitely lose money

I put out 30k leaflets and do not get the response you expect on 12.5k, and I pay £550

You can employ your own leaflet distributor and have total control of your delivery and this will still be cheaper than that price .

You need a 3-1 return on your cost or at a very very minimum 2-1

It takes 6hrs to deliver 1000 leaflets,   can you find someone to work for £50 for 6hrs? straight away this Is half the cost

johnny bravo

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:17 pm »
i have just finished canvassing a villiage near me,   1500 leaflets dropped,    not one phone call back,   my flyer has a cot here section to place in window for me to see   save me cold calling.   anyway  no calls   i thought bugger this so done a follow up knock,      got £180 of work,  plus some gutter cleans,   and upvc cleans.   glad i nocked  otherwise i would not have got the work. ::)

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »
Thats a seriously big village,did you mean 1500 ?

BDCS

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:26:23 pm »
I expect he did - maybe that why he put 1500

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
Yes my post looks a bit daft now the 15000 has been modified to 1500.

BDCS

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:05 pm »
Thats what the delete button is for  ;)

Ian101

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 08:45:08 am »
Ian you have got your maths way wrong Do not spend £1,500 getting 12.5k leaflets delivered you will definitely lose money

I put out 30k leaflets and do not get the response you expect on 12.5k, and I pay £550

You can employ your own leaflet distributor and have total control of your delivery and this will still be cheaper than that price .

You need a 3-1 return on your cost or at a very very minimum 2-1

It takes 6hrs to deliver 1000 leaflets,   can you find someone to work for £50 for 6hrs? straight away this Is half the cost

Just double checked for 20000 leaflets its £1000+VAT with the post office. - but would only go this way if cant find a decent leaflet dropper - my thinking was with post office they would all get delivered.

Ideal situation would be a pair of self employed leaflet droppers with a tracking device so can see what roads and areas they have done then folow that up with door knocking within a few days.

£500 for 30000 leaflets sounds a real bargain.

Thanks for your advice Mike - much appreciated  :D