Davew

Ladder safety legs.
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:35:08 pm »
I know Jeff has some. Anyone got a link for them? I've got some fairly high insides to do with shiney floors and I hate ladders at the best of times.

jeff1

Re: Ladder safety legs.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
I got 3 sets  ;D ;D here is the link,

if you are a member of the apwc you get a 10% discount ;) but I'm also happy to say, that if your a member of the Training academy, we can also offer you a 10% dicount.

http://laddatec.com/

Davew

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:54:07 pm »
Yes I am a member (I think I was) but can't remember my user name, password or the site address.  ::)
Thanks Jeff

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:56:01 pm »
Yes I am a member (I think I was) but can't remember my user name, password or the site address.  ::)
Thanks Jeff
Give me a few minutes and I'll search for your details, so long as you know your password. if not I can give you a new password.

stevekennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 04:56:18 pm »
Jeff

Be honest, are those things any good? No offense but they look real mickey mouse. ABRU used to make those things years ago and they were rubbish then. Used to fall of or slide down the ladder. You would catch on stuff as you moved the ladder around. These have a better look to them but has the design been improved? How easy are they, how effective?

I tried a Laddermate. Didn't like it at all. Very inconvenient. It involved leaving the ladder unattended while you went back for the thing. No good at all.

I was thinking of using the Ankalad as it permanently fixes to the ladder and folds away when not in use. Anyone tried them  ???

Davew

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:59 pm »
Blimey Ankalad's a bit pricey.

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:08:39 pm »
Thanks Jeff
Dave if you remember your password? then your login details are the same AS ON HERE, I can't presonally give you the link or they will ban me :'( :'(
email me or some nice other person can post it?
Jeff

Be honest, are those things any good? No offense but they look real mickey mouse. ABRU used to make those things years ago and they were rubbish then. Used to fall of or slide down the ladder. You would catch on stuff as you moved the ladder around. These have a better look to them but has the design been improved? How easy are they, how effective?

I tried a Laddermate. Didn't like it at all. Very inconvenient. It involved leaving the ladder unattended while you went back for the thing. No good at all.

I was thinking of using the Ankalad as it permanently fixes to the ladder and folds away when not in use. Anyone tried them  ???

Steve I have 3 sets of the ladder limpets and one set is the old type, the new ones has been redesigned, I did a post some time back where I actually put 2 sets onto my ladder over a lean too roof with the second set on the roof,
It was like walking up a staircase and were solid, It takes seconds and I mean seconds, to put them on and remove them, there not made to stay on while you move your ladder around, because the ground is never the same.

I would recommend them to anyone and I'm NOT a sales rep for them, but we did manage to talk them into giving our members a discount in return for advertising them on our forum, and I wouldn't recommend anything I had not personally tried myself.

stevekennedy

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 05:15:06 pm »
Thanks Jeff. It's good to get a personal recommendation. The old design was probably the ABRU design rebranded.

Do you have to leave the ladder anattended at all? I know this sounds silly as we all used to leave our ladders unattended years ago. But a lot of our contracts stipulate that they should never be left unattended.

I was wondering if the limpets would stay on while you move the ladder. Then maybe you can adjust them once you are at the next window.

How much safer is the ladder would you say? Side slip, back slip, twisting (stability you have mentioned already)

stevekennedy

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 05:16:37 pm »

Yes, I agree Dave. This is why I am checking if it is any good. The laddermate was not cheap (£75 I think) and I was very dissappointed. DOn't want to put good money after bad.

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 05:22:48 pm »

Yes, I agree Dave. This is why I am checking if it is any good. The laddermate was not cheap (£75 I think) and I was very dissappointed. DOn't want to put good money after bad.
Give me an hour to reply Late for appointments ::) ::)

Davew

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 05:28:51 pm »
Found the site - George had it. ;)

stevekennedy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 06:07:22 pm »
Give me an hour to reply Late for appointments ::) ::)

No problem. Speak to you later!

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 07:01:36 pm »
Thanks Jeff. It's good to get a personal recommendation. The old design was probably the ABRU design rebranded.

Do you have to leave the ladder anattended at all? I know this sounds silly as we all used to leave our ladders unattended years ago. But a lot of our contracts stipulate that they should never be left unattended.

I was wondering if the limpets would stay on while you move the ladder. Then maybe you can adjust them once you are at the next window.

How much safer is the ladder would you say? Side slip, back slip, twisting (stability you have mentioned already)
The old one was called the stableleg.
I wouldn't recommend moving your ladder with them fitted, they will only slip down the style's saying that, if you made the fitting tight enough they probablly wouldn't slip and you could make adjustments after the ladder was in position.

Side slip I can't say about, as I never had this problem, I'm sure it will give details on there web-site?
back slip I can say about, as I had them fitted when the ladder was on some types of floors you would only normally feel safe with someone footing your ladder, but the limpet held me there.
I have not suffered any twisting when the limpet was fitted, I do feel more safer with it fitted, at least the Bu**ers can't walk off and answer a mobile phone when your up the ladder? (I had that happen to me ::) )
One more plus for it, Trevor Knights crew use them.

Ryan Phillips

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 07:57:58 pm »
i use a ladder m8trix heres a link feel very safe on it http://www.ladderstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_76&products_id=611
not sure if this is the cheapest place
also link for video of it being used
http://www.ladderstore.com/product_additional.php?cPath=15_76&products_id=611&display_id=ladderm8rix.php

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 07:58:07 pm »
ABRU Laddatec:

I've used them for years on external ladder work, they're very good at preventing your ladder from side twisting BUT I wouldn't recommend using them internally on slippery floor surfaces or externally on decking because they are liable to slip if the ladder should jolt quickly whilst working up it.
If they are fitted to your ladder they do give a slight warning if the ladder has slipped a little back, enough time to get down from your ladder without falling where normally the ladder would have slipped straight down the wall without that second or two's warning.

They are an aid to use with your ladder to help minimise the risk of falling from your ladder BUT just because you have them fitted don't be lured into a false sense of security thinking that they can't possibly slip because they can.

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 08:14:02 pm »
Here is a pic of me up the ladder doing guttering, if you look closley on the pitched roof, you will see the old set fitted and at the bottom is one of my new sets, It was like working on a solid stair case.
Along with the stand off, the limpet stopped the ladder causing any damage to the lower guttering.

stevekennedy

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 10:27:21 pm »
ABRU Laddatec:

I've used them for years on external ladder work, they're very good at preventing your ladder from side twisting BUT I wouldn't recommend using them internally on slippery floor surfaces or externally on decking because they are liable to slip if the ladder should jolt quickly whilst working up it.
If they are fitted to your ladder they do give a slight warning if the ladder has slipped a little back, enough time to get down from your ladder without falling where normally the ladder would have slipped straight down the wall without that second or two's warning.

They are an aid to use with your ladder to help minimise the risk of falling from your ladder BUT just because you have them fitted don't be lured into a false sense of security thinking that they can't possibly slip because they can.

Thanks Wayne
I am looking for something to allow employees to use a ladder safely. I don't know if the limpets are enough. They look easy to use for a one man business.

Jeff
Nice setup. Solves one problem. That of plastic gutters. I cannot allow an employee to put a ladder against plastic guttering. You have found a way around that. Looks very solid.

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 10:39:05 pm »
ABRU Laddatec:

Thanks Wayne
I am looking for something to allow employees to use a ladder safely. I don't know if the limpets are enough. They look easy to use for a one man business.

Jeff
Nice setup. Solves one problem. That of plastic gutters. I cannot allow an employee to put a ladder against plastic guttering. You have found a way around that. Looks very solid.
Steve it is solid, if it had a hand rail you could run up the ladder, there is no flex or bounce in the ladders the way I have set it up. don't forget the stand off also helped to take it out away from the wall a little.
Without the limpet, there is no way I would be up that ladder at that angle without someone footing it for me.

stevekennedy

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 10:48:22 pm »
If it was me going up the ladder, no problem. I am just terrified that an employee will fall.

I used to go above the gutter with one foot on the ladder, one foot on the roof, no footing. I must have been mad. Ladder slipped on me a couple of times. First time i had just put my scrim back in my pocket. Managed to grab the window ledge and stayed on the roof. The ladder hit the deck. Got someone to put the ladder back up. Second time I kept hold of the ladder, it slipped straight back and fell straight down. Bounced off the glass of the ground floor window (without breaking it) and rested on the sill. There I was, still gripping the ladder. Needed a cup of tea after that one. I can tell you.

I have had quite a few other near misses and one bad fall.

If I had been an employee I would be rich by now from all the court cases. That is why I must find a way to eliminate the risk.

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 08:44:41 am »
If it was me going up the ladder, no problem. I am just terrified that an employee will fall.

I used to go above the gutter with one foot on the ladder, one foot on the roof, no footing. I must have been mad. Ladder slipped on me a couple of times. First time i had just put my scrim back in my pocket. Managed to grab the window ledge and stayed on the roof. The ladder hit the deck. Got someone to put the ladder back up. Second time I kept hold of the ladder, it slipped straight back and fell straight down. Bounced off the glass of the ground floor window (without breaking it) and rested on the sill. There I was, still gripping the ladder. Needed a cup of tea after that one. I can tell you.

I have had quite a few other near misses and one bad fall.

If I had been an employee I would be rich by now from all the court cases. That is why I must find a way to eliminate the risk.
A very good point Steve
But what you have to remember is by supplying your employee's with ladder safety device's the onus is on them to use it, and you will be covered, how do you think company's like BT manage?
Also make sure they have ladder training and you have covered all aspects of safety.