andyralph

Re: Mains booster pump
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 11:49:51 pm »
Hi it makes no difference what membrane it is and the waste valve is on the down pipe an you adjust it to suit and there’s a pressure gauge on it cheers andy

andyM

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 07:55:08 am »
If I am getting a booster pump would the hf5 still be ok or will I need the hf4?

Hf4 is cheaper.
One of the Plebs

wayne m

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 08:05:31 am »
I see the hf4 is cheaper but my pressure is only 55psi at the moment and if I get a booster pump will it still not matter what membrane? Also spruce when you say Purefreedom drill a larger hole and you only drill a 1 mm hole, where do you drill that and is that for the gate to be closed and still let waste out? Like I said this is all new to me but once I get going I’ll be ok

Spruce

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 08:29:25 am »
You don't have to drill a hole in the paddle. You just need to ensure you never completely close the gate valve and stop the water going to waste.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Inch-BSP-Gate-Valve-Brass-Valve-With-Red-Handle-Female-x-Female/121483348496?hash=item1c48f8ca10:g:Bf8AAOSwuxFY0pOP

Here's some membrane specs taken from the Gardiner website when Alex sold membranes;

HF4 Axeon membrane.
•   Commercial AXEON HF4 Low-Pressure 4040 40" Membrane
•   Optimum input pressure range 80-105psi (5.3-7 BAR)
•   Average Rejection ratio - 98% (200ppm down to 4ppm with input water at 100psi and 25°C input water temperature)
•   Recommended waste water ratios (product:waste) - 1:1 under 100ppm, 1:2 100-250ppm, 1:3 250-400ppm
•   Suitable for standard water input temperatures +10°C
•   Nominal 2,500gpd rating - Real world will produce from 2000-4500 litres per 24 hour day

HF5 Axeon membrane
•  Commercial AXEON HF5 Ultra Low-Pressure 4040 40" Membrane
•  Optimum Input Water Pressure range is 50-100PSI (3.4-7 BAR)
•  Suitable for low water temperature inputs below 10°C & generally lower pressure than the HF4 RO Membranes
•  Average Rejection ratio - 97% (200ppm down to 6ppm with input water at 100psi and 25°C input water temperature)
•  Recommended waste water ratios (product:waste) - 1:1.5 under 100ppm, 1:2 100-250ppm, 1:3 250-400ppm
•  Nominal 3,000gpd rating - Real world will produce from 2000-5000 litres per 24 hour day

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 09:52:30 am »
I was going to order some new pre filters and a ro membrane but these readings have confirmed this! My tap TDS is 292, after the pre filters and ro it’s only bringing it down to 92, my waste is roughly 3.75 lpm and good is roughly 1.5 lpm. Waste valve is as closed as can be on my system so assume they come pre set from pure freedom? Sorry to all you lot but this is all new to me even though been window cleaning for 19 years. So if I order a new set of filters and a booster pump would this be sorted and what ro filter is best with those figures a hf4 or hf5? Thanks again

At 92ppm your membrane is shot. Its only removing 69% of the dissolved solids in the water. A supplier once told me that he says the cutoff point is around 94%.

I would order a new Axeon HF5 membrane, new sediment and carbon block filters and a new waste gate valve. But I would order the Gate valve from a local plumbing outlet. PureFreedom drill a hole through the paddle of the valve to ensure that Its impossible to close the waste off totally.
I would just instruct myself to never fully close the gate valve. (I drilled a 1mm hole through mine, but I believe PF drill a bigger hole. The idea is that if the valve is fully closed it will still allow a 3 to 1 waste to pure ratio.)

As far as I'm concerned you need to have a better control of your waste water. I would start at a ratio of 2 to 1 and slowly tweek the gate valve closed to see where your sweet spot is, ie where the membrane is working at its most efficient. This will take time as each adjustment needs time to settle in for you take a new reading. Then mark the gate valve so you know where to set it back to when you open the valve fully to flush the membrane.
Alernatively what I have done on my static system is install a bypass. Basically a T section before and after the waste valve with a section of pipe with a ball lever valve. Once , as Spruce explained, you've set the waste to its optimum position you only have to open the bypass valve to flush and close it to start making pure.

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 10:06:51 am »
Any links to the waste gate valve would be great 👍🏻
I used something like this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/gate-valve-15mm/85316
What you'll need to do is work out what pipe work or hose you are using and source the correct adapters or hose tails to go on it.
I've used 1/2" ( I think ) plastic pipe , removed the compression fittings and used jg push fit female threaded connecters that screwed on to either side of the tap body.

wayne m

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 04:04:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I picked up a gate valve from the plumbers this morning and then ordered a new set of pre filters and a new hf5 membrane so will fit all this tomorrow. I think I’ll add the suggestion of a t piece before and after the valve so I can leave it where it is once I’ve sorted the waste to pure ratio.

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 04:37:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I picked up a gate valve from the plumbers this morning and then ordered a new set of pre filters and a new hf5 membrane so will fit all this tomorrow. I think I’ll add the suggestion of a t piece before and after the valve so I can leave it where it is once I’ve sorted the waste to pure ratio.
Its certainly a very useful addition Wayne so you don't have to keep adjusting the gate valve. You may, however, have to sometimes to keep the ro at its optimum because the supplies temperature will fluctuate between winter and summer months.

wayne m

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 07:18:33 pm »
I'd start with one of these and actually find out what you're working with
https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/82412
What ro do you have ?  I'm presuming it's a 4040 going by what size pumps you're looking at.
You need an in-line pressure gauge really though to adjust your gate valve for waste /  pure ratio to optomise it. Personally I've no experience of the machinmart ones but after some research I spent a little more and went for one of these.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwib9fLt8vvmAhUHtO0KHSfnCdwYABAQGgJkZw&ae=1&sig=AOD64_3levXjkx-HF8Eb-AlDjidIGCr-FA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi_nezt8vvmAhXFSBUIHRO8AEgQwg96BAgLEBA&adurl=https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/water-genie-4040-booster-pump-5688-p.asp%3Futm_medium%3Dgoogle%26utm_source%3Dppc%26utm_campaign%3Dtcw-shopping%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMIm_Xy7fL75gIVB7TtCh0n5wncEAQYAiABEgKMJvD_BwE
Its a rotary vane pump rated for continual use. Boosted my pressure from 30 psi up to 100, but by means of in line pressure gauge I set it to 80 psi via gate valve because that was the sweet spot.  18 months on, I haven't regretted it.
[/quoteWhere did you get your inline pressure valve from and where do you fit it on the system? Thanks

wayne m

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 07:40:37 pm »
Hi Wayne it don’t turn off automatically but I’ve just fitted a float switch fluid level controller I’m my new system and it’s great I want 200 pound and I’m in Redditch thanks andy
Hi Andy, what is the built in auto shut off/on for? Thanks

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 08:33:35 pm »
Here is a pic of my set up.
Looks more complicated than it is really because I've used so many pushfit bits and bobs that I raided from a big box of  spares over the years   :D
Basically in this order ;
mains
pre filters
booster pump
PRESSURE GUAGE
ro
waste gate valve and bypass ( can see in pic to the right with red gate valve wheel )
DI
tank

I dont remember off top of my head where I bought the inline guage from now but any ro supplier should do them e.g. ro man etc.
They usually have 1/4" pushfits, so if you are using 1/2" hose as I am you may need to change the t piece or use an adapter.

With the bypass flush lever closed. When you adjust the (red) gate valve, you'll see the pressure increase/decrease as you adjust it. In my case as I close the gate valve and reach 80 psi the product tds drops to 09/10 ppm. I can close it further ( 100 + psi )  and it will make water quicker but the ppm starts to creep higher. Thus 80 psi is the sweet spot for me.

wayne m

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 07:01:51 am »
Thanks for the picture mate

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 10:28:21 am »
Thanks for the picture mate

Hi Wayne, if your are looking at a unit that will switch the pump of on tank full have a chat with PF. There is also a V11 Mains Booster pump controller that can automate the pure water system http://springltd.co/v11m-bpc-90-230vac
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

wayne m

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 10:23:45 pm »
Thanks ian, I’m going to call blade right tomorrow and order one of those controllers.