Grafters Cleaning Services

Just what is going on within the forum?
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:42:46 pm »
Just what is going on within the forum?
Surely the forum was set up to enable us as w/cs to help each other out and discuss matters relating to our business but it seems lately that more threads seem to get locked by the moderators owing to slaging of one another including suppliers.

Now don’t get me wrong as I do believe in freedom to speak but there’s no need to go overboard and hurling insults at others.

When I first discovered this forum I found it to be very useful indeed especially prior to going WFP where it answered all my questions and I was always using it and contributing but these days I can’t be bothered with all the hassle I see on the forum.

Only just recently a suppler took a real bashing from someone, although I didn’t see the beginning of the thread I gather from reading between the lines that the thread was locked before the suppler had a chance to respond. As I said we all have a right to speak our minds but I believe we could be a bit more tackful at times as I believe by doing so you have more of a chance in resolving the dispute.

We have all at sometime in our lives been unhappy we a service that has been supplied and I also believe in the system of “NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM”  but in doing so lets also allow  those concerned a chance to defend themselves as we only get to see one side of the coin.

In an earlier thread someone mentioned the ebay system of leaving feedback, wether or not this would work on the forum I don’t know? But at least with ebay if a seller gets a negative feedback they have the chance to type in their response for all to see.

In a nutshell, if the forum is used correctly there would be no need for moderators (although I could never see this happening)

And as for the moderators, before locking a thread let everyone have a chance for a say (so long as they are not abusive)

And as for users of the forum, before having a go at someone try to use a bit more tack.

By doing so cleanitup will become a far better forum for all to use.

P.S. sorry just had to get it all of my chest as to the way I feel.

Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Re: Just what is going on within the forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 06:53:46 pm »
Jay,

You didn't see the whole thread that you're refering too.  There really wasn't any other option than to delete it. 

It degenerated to a point beyond 'gentlemanly' and it was me who asked for it to be deleted.

I also find your post a bit over the top. 

Grafters quote:
“NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM”

Maybe you ought to write to BBC Watchdog and inform them about the current rip-offs that's occuring in the window cleaning world of suppliers?

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 07:12:40 pm »
Jay,

You didn't see the whole thread that you're refering too.  There really wasn't any other option than to delete it. 

It degenerated to a point beyond 'gentlemanly' and it was me who asked for it to be deleted.

I also find your post a bit over the top. 

Grafters quote:
“NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM”

Maybe you ought to write to BBC Watchdog and inform them about the current rip-offs that's occuring in the window cleaning world of suppliers?

Hi Tosh
yes I do stand by name and shame them but as I said as long as they have the right to reply.

as for getting in touch with watchdog, I personally have not been ripped off by any w/c suppliers so it would be pointless.
am I to understand by your reply that thread that was locked was due to someone being ripped off by a suppler?

my whole point about this thread is the way things seem to be going.
Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

JohnL

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:49:54 pm »
I think the most important point here is the first law of open forums  .  .

.  .  though shall not use the forum to flame others  .  . 

that is the unwritten and written rule of every forum on the web, without it forums fall to pieces and the main point and thrust of a forum falls apart.

I have visited and been a member of many forums over the last 5-6 years, possibly 50 - 60 and at some stage flaming, group interests, ie cliques and personal gripes have brought the forum into some sort of conflict.

The only way such actions can be treated is for the mods to act swiftly, delete posts and threads if needed and if absolutely neccessary - bar offending members from the forum.

Mods have a difficult task ahead of them if members take to aggressively commenting on others but if needed they have to take the ultimate sanction.

Lets hope people think a little more before attacking others in the future, regardless of how justified they think their reasons are.

Stay calm

JohnL

West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:55:31 pm »
Jay,

The supplier in question did reply to the original post.

The post was deleted because of all the other abuse that followed.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

JM123

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 09:16:06 pm »
CAN WE ALL JUST LET IT REST!!!, look I don't think Andrew McCann (am I thinking of the right person??) is too concerned by what was said, he's only human, so before this whole thing escalates to the point where people are leaving the forum can we all just live and let die.  I could lose the rag sometimes (and I'm a big lad to back it up) but whats the point, where's it gonna get me??  With saying that I don't think theres a problem with rating suppliers etc, I build systems and am always open to criticism because I know I can stand by my products with pride, any of my customers will tell you that, I even ring all my customers (those who I have built systems for) every 3 months just to check how things are going with poles etc.  I still make mistakes, everyone does so lets all forget it, seriously I've been bored to death with the whole subject.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

macc

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:44:07 pm »
Hi Jay.

I had a post deleted cause i made some comments that offended, FARE ENOUGH, i was out of order on reflection. I didnt read what the post was about but if they were getting abusive where do you draw the line.  ???

I made myself look a plonker in some eyes, prob most, being a mod is prob not easy & they cant please every one all the time.

Macc

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:06:56 am »
I think the most important point here is the first law of open forums  .  .

.  .  though shall not use the forum to flame others  .  . 

that is the unwritten and written rule of every forum on the web, without it forums fall to pieces and the main point and thrust of a forum falls apart.

I have visited and been a member of many forums over the last 5-6 years, possibly 50 - 60 and at some stage flaming, group interests, ie cliques and personal gripes have brought the forum into some sort of conflict.

The only way such actions can be treated is for the mods to act swiftly, delete posts and threads if needed and if absolutely neccessary - bar offending members from the forum.

Mods have a difficult task ahead of them if members take to aggressively commenting on others but if needed they have to take the ultimate sanction.

Lets hope people think a little more before attacking others in the future, regardless of how justified they think their reasons are.

Stay calm

JohnL

Well said John!

Again I would remind members to use the report to moderator function whenever they see personal attacks or insults. Often it's the thin edge of the wedge and unless it's spotted and removed immediately it easily gets out of control.

Thanks

Mike