davetherave

broken roof tiles
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:18:37 pm »
i was on small roof today that jutted out from the front of the house it was a bit steep and awkward, anyway the tiles i was standing on well a couple of them broke. Is there a special type of ladder or something else you can get to stop tiles breaking to spread your weight. I was on another roof and that was alright cause the tiles were stronger. i could have used my unger extension pole so i wouldn't have to get on the roof at all but i don't get a good finish with it the windows look crap afterwards and customers complain so i don't like using it

Also do you think i should tell the customer i broke a couple of her tiles

welmac

Re: broken roof tiles
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:59 pm »
from my experience..............

tell the customer. ok its not easy and you feel a bit of a fool at the time, but at least they will see you are going to be honest with them. theres also a chance they may notice and if you dont tell them then they will prob have something to say to you.

worse case they sack you and you have to spend a couple of quid on some new tiles........or they may not be bothered.

i had the first of the 2 endings happen to me. i broke a few tiles, did confess to the customer, replaced them all (and so i should of), and then they sacked me!!!!

Gary

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:11:53 pm »
These were the main reason I went for WFP.

1: They are dangerous to walk on because of the steep slope.

2: You can guarantee broken tiles at some time or other.. and even if you didnt break any the customer can easily blame you for any already there.

3: They are almost always dangerous to get on to from a ladder.

If you have a few of these and dont want to lay out too much money but value your life and customer relations get a basic back-pack set up with a small RO and a cheap aluminium pole. It's easy to justify using WFP to customers with houses like these. Safety and no broken tiles for them.

And.. you can walk on a roof one time and not break any tiles..  next time you could. Believe me.. Ive done it many times.

Andrew

mick40

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:17:59 pm »
I just tell the customer that i will be using a pole for those windows as its a possible hazard for yourself and their tiles.also explain that by using the pole the windows will not be perfect when your finished.At least that way customers can see that you are taking into consideration there property.
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

jouk45

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:30 am »
i carry a tube of no nails, brilliant stuff, holds the broken tile where the nail hole breaks, slater showed me how to do it,

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:40:02 am »
Personally, I won't tile walk. I used to but after various mishaps and near misses, it is not worth the risk.

It's years ago admitted but I've once paid out over £300 to a customer for a single broken tile and as above, got blamed for all the others which then went into 'having to have' the whole roof replaced over the front door extention.

The job paid £8. The house owner, a real shark of a lady, threatened legal action and it came down to the fact that tiles are not meant to be walked on and I would liable even if it was one tile to make good the damage, and added to which, the H & S laws (at the time) were broken. Now the law is even stricter.

Apart from all that, I'd tell the customer and take whatever comes and not tile walk again. It only takes one slip.

Cheers

drew86

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:12:48 am »
when i left school , I worked as a roofers mate and we always used cat ladders  when accessing roofs for repair, tiles are very easy to break, and on older roofs you can find the batterns that the tiles are attached to can be rotten, this can end in a nasty accident if trodden on.
It was this big.

drew86

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:15:11 am »
also forgot to say , tell the customer as broken tiles will probably mean water will get in the next time it rains.
It was this big.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:53 am »
Hi Dave,

Definately tell your customer!!

It will be far more professional to explain about the accident and offer to replace them (15 min job) that for her to notice them and you have to come clean later on.

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

abacus

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 07:56:29 pm »
Hi
Iwould tell the customer and replace them that stops the posibility of the moaning to others

some years ago my brother fell from a porch roof could have been worce than it was shook him up and the start of the road to wfp for me.With respect I think you may find roof walk is against H&S now (Imade the mistake of walking on the roof of an H&S officer )  oops red face and appoligies SIR. slaped on the wrist though he's still a customer.

regards grant

A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

dai

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:42:41 pm »
Yes you have to tell them. I replaced tiles in the past, paid to have sky dishes realigned too. Not any more with WFP. dai

mark dew

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 12:05:48 am »
Yes they should be told. What if the roof starts leaking and there is internal damage?
Better to nip it in the bud now and be done.
Though i must admit to keeping quiet when my ladder blew over and knocked off one of those support things that hold the gutter in place.
I looked for it for ages and couldn't find it, so i kept quiet trying to delude myself it never really happened.
It was back in place when i went back the next month which made me feel like a naughty schoolboy. Nothing was said and i knocked £3 off the price.

Better to be open about it. You'll sleep easier at night.

mark

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 07:51:38 am »
Yes you have to tell them. I replaced tiles in the past, paid to have sky dishes realigned too. Not any more with WFP. dai

YUP Dia... done that as well... ahhhh memories  :)

Andrew