Stevie G

How would YOU clean these windows?
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:56:52 pm »
Hello all.

We clean in an area of Essex that has some very large homes, 600-850k in price.  They hand over £20 each for our services.   We clean them all with WFP.

The only problem we have is getting to the top windows which are 3 storey.
For the past 3 months we have used a 3 section ladder that is bloody hard work!
........but we need advice on how you would approach it.

We are considering investing in a pole of 40 feet PLUS, so that we do not have to use ladders ever again.  As you can see in the pictures, the 3rd storey windows are obscured by a ledge, a thick ledge of buff coloured capping (that looks like paving slabs).  Anyway this means the windows are set back, so only when you get to a certain point can you see the whole window.

• Today we had a lucky escape with our ladder!, nothing was damaged but we could have been seriously out of pocket if the ladder fell the other way

We have looked at many different poles, at many DIFFERING prices, but what would be the best 40ft+ pole to buy?  Omnipole, Gardiner......

The best thing we have found with the aircraft Aluminium threaded clamp pole (from Omnipole) is that it is so easy to extend and shorten the pole, but there is an issue with weight AND PRICE

How many other manufacturers use the threaded clamps?
The Gardiner type pole we have found, is that the clamps can easily be broken or get caught on guttering.....

We do have other work in this particular area which requires access to the 4th storey. 

Thanks, if you can help.
Darren

bobby

Re: How would YOU clean these windows?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:12 pm »
how far are the windows set back from the capping? & £20.00 to cheap if they are paying that sort of cash for a house & you are risking your neck to clean those top windows i would want @ least £40.00 & would not touch the top windows until i came up with a safe method of cleaning them.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:11:01 pm »
Hmmmm cant see you being able to do those top windows with any pole.

You would firstly have to stand so far back that any pole would be uncontrolable and I cant see you being able to get to the bottom of those windows at all.

I could be wrong though. Personally I wouldnt even attemt them with a pole.

Hope someone can come up with a solution for you though.

Andrew

Ian Rochester

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 09:13:55 pm »
I agree with Andrew, no way can these be cleaned with a pole, the long poles are all made of carbon fibre or similar and youwould need to rest the pole on the ledge to clean the windows, this abrasion would soon wear through your £800+ 60' pole.

No mines certainly not for hire for this job!!

I cannot see any easy way of cleaning these windows other than gaining entry through the building

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:15:24 pm »
The top windows look set back by quite a bit.

I don't think even a 42ft pole would reach that because of the angle. We use a pole that size but never have to tackle an obstacle like this. The windows look too far set back.

If it was down to me I think I would WFP off a ladder with footing. Not much fun but I can't see a more cost effective method.

If the customer is in can you gain access from inside and traditional the windows?

best wishes,

Trev

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:41:47 pm »
Just had a closer look at the pics.

Is there a wall at the top then a flat space between the wall and the roof and is the wall in good condition?

Cant see the ground so dont know what the footing is like for ladders but if all OK I would use a footed ladder with a very good stand-off to get over the walls to do these windows trad.

Hope you find a way of doing these safely.

Andrew

welmac

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:48:18 pm »
i cant see the pics for some reason????  ???

Tim Morton

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:56:06 pm »
Me Neither  ???
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Justin Ruggles

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:14:17 pm »
Omnipole do a attachment that will get them windows. Its called a Ledge sill extension, dont think no one would hire a pole out to you.

I would also re think the price as £20 is a bargain for the customer.

Good Luck

Justin

Stevie G

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 10:14:36 pm »
andrew

yes to all your questions when you look straight up standing on the pavement you can just see the tops of the window hope this makes sense.                                       

darren.

JohnL

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 10:21:55 pm »
should be £40 per house and use a cherry picker. You dont say how many houses you do here but if a few, a cherry picker worked hard for a day should solve the problem. Explain the dilemma to the owners and split the cost over the total no of houses done.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

welmac

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 10:24:19 pm »
not easy windows to clean!  :o

how far would you think the windows are set back (hard to tell just looking at a pic) ?

Gary

poleman

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 10:37:51 pm »
So you price a job that you was not sure if it could be done :-\ the only way it could be done (top windows) is with a cherry picker, and they are 5 times the price of this  job, best to be up front and say cant be done and put it down to experience for when you next price a job.

Andy   

craig jwc

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 10:58:40 pm »
I would ask if you can have access to clean the top windows and climb out of them to clean them aslong as there is plenty of room too step out on.
Might save on hire of a cherry picker as you would have to increase the price to cover the cost.

I would charge £35 - £40

Craig

Stevie G

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 11:03:16 pm »
Ok, I'll clear something up

• No access from inside
  • We bought this round, it was not canvassed by us
  • we clean 6 of these particular houses
  • Justin Ruggles has given a great answer

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 11:17:32 pm »
Ok, I'll clear something up

• No access from inside
  • We bought this round, it was not canvassed by us
  • we clean 6 of these particular houses
  • Justin Ruggles has given a great answer

Justin is a mine of good information re WFP.

Your only problem may be justifying the cost of The Omnipole with the extension for these 6 houses. Well worth investigating though.

Hope you get sorted out.

Andrew

JohnL

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 11:20:31 pm »
even with the extension you still cant see to do the bottoms of the windows  ???

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jinky230

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 11:33:00 pm »
go back to the customer tell them you have reviewed the building
and you can do them all apart from the top level due to health and safety

to have this level cleaned the only method is by cherry picker, and the costs would be very pricey most people will not want crazy costs and will accept that the windows cannot be done, you have now got rid of the problem instead of the work by walking away

jinky
I have never knowen a customer to accept costs of additinal £100 they all accept that it cant be done at a reasonnable cost  and accept the other levels
only

jinky

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 02:37:38 am »
To add to what Justin said, I would use my Omnipole with the 45 degree bend attachment on the end.  It would mean cleaning the lower part of the window without being able to see it but, for safety's sake, that would have to do.
PS.  You're not charging enough for these IMO.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 09:04:18 am »
Hi Guys,

We have in our workshop a ultra deep gooseneck that can reach upto 3ft in over ledges, it is much the same as our standard pro gooseneck but reaches in further.  This could fit to one of our 38ft poles and would I think reach those windows.

If you want any more details please email me on sales@gardinerpolesystems.co.uk

Alex

Trevor Knight

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 09:29:35 am »
Do you have an image you could post please Alex?

Many thanks, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

JohnL

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 05:54:28 pm »
Alex, do you sell the goosenecks as seperate items or do you have to buy a complete pole etc?

JohnL

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 06:54:58 pm »
Ionics do a longer gooseneck.We bought one a couple of years back.

It atatches to our welmac carbon-fibre pole.

We don't use it that often.Although expensive worth every penny ;D

Tristan

gordonswindows

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 09:01:36 pm »
doh guys
best way to clean those windows is from inside and yes £20 is awful
cheers
gordon
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney