captain lard

Georgian windows
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »
Hello folks - picked up a job today but the front of the house has those georgian windows with lots of little panes divided up by the frame.(In fact have to go and quote for another house with the same sort of design and have hesitated cos I have no experience of this type of window)
How do other people approach these,my normal method is applicator,squeegee and tidy up with a microfibre but am wondering what the best way is with little panes approx 5 or 6 inches square,might be smaller.
My initial thought was to wet the glass with a wet cloth rather than an applicator and to then either use a squeegee specifically cut down for the size of glass or use a shammy or maybe scrim or thinking on the microfibre might work.
Any thoughts,experiences or tips greatly appreciated

Sir Squeaky

Re: Georgian windows
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:58:52 pm »
Hi Lard.
In my experience, and I've tried lots of ways....
The best way is to buy a good spray solution, Tesco's own brand appears to be best.

Just a few mists of that, depending how dirty it is, and buff to a shine with your scrim or microfibre. ;)

Using a wet cloth then dry with no cleaning fluid will leave smudges.
You may not see them at first, but look at the right angle and it won't be perfect.
Particularly if they're done in the sun. :-\

If you find it difficult at first or they're really bad, then cut down a squeegee to small enough to fit in the panes.
Then simply take the cover off your applicator and wash into the corners well.
Wipe around the edges with a wet cloth and squeegee.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Rog.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »
Hi Rog

I do a lot of georgian the traditional way, two ways, first is with wet cloth (I use the beer mats they used to have on bars) as my wet cloth, then I use two scrims, 1st to take the water back off, and the second to polish the glass,

The second way is still with my wet cloth to wash the window, and then use my squeegee to dry off in the normal way.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:32:14 pm »
I would basically say the same as Roger.

If the windows are really minging then you might have to wash them with your aplicator sleeve, including as much of the frames as you can, use a damp scrim to dwtail the top three edges of each pane of glass and the frame and then use a cut down squeegee on them.
You'll have to fart around with a lot of detailing afterwards though.
But it is worth the effort on a first time clean.

On subsequent cleans use a spayer to mist the glass (and I agree with Roger that Tesco's own brand one is just about the best AND the CHEAPEST out there) and buff clean with either microfibre or scrim.
I personally prefer Microfibre, but others like to stick with scrim.

Ian

Oh, and if you are inexperienced, just remember that georgian work will take you 3 times as long per window to do...minimum :o

Ian

I've just read Jeff's reply :-\

I've done the same thing as he describes (nor with beer mats though, they don't come  even close to being as effective as scrim or microfibre, doesn't look as professional either :-\)
But you do a time and motion study (and I have..often) and squeegeeing georgian windows in whatever manner you may choose is slower than either wet scrim-dry scrim or mist and buff with sprayer and microfibre.

Ian (finally)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

captain lard

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:49:32 pm »
Thanks for the info lads-really appreciate it,both houses will be getting cleaned for the first time in a while,almost a year for one.Have taken all that info on board and will go in equipped with the spray and a selection of cloth,started using scrim but am now using microfibre and basically will try out the methods and work out which is giving the best results.I will pop by one day and measure up the panes so might have a squeegee prepared too.
Once again thanks a lot lads. 

JohnL

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:25:53 pm »
you lads must have shares in Tescos - breakfast, misting spray - any more?

:)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.