shaunjames

backpack system
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:28:41 pm »
Hi
I'm new to the forum and also to window cleaning, well did it for a year or so when I was younger. However, due to being laid off work, I have been offered a window cleaning round, going round with the guy now. The round he is selling me seems quite lucrative, but there are some potential problems I forsee with the new H&S issues concerning ladders. One of the jobs is 3 blocks of flats 3 storey high, which he currently does off ladders, takes him about 4-5 hours and gets £195. I've got about 6 more weeks with him before I take over. Now I know I'm going to have to get a WFP system but funds are tight, is a backpack viable for windows 3 storey high or am I wasting my time. I have a friend who can supply me with pure water, would a trolley system be better, if so can anybody recommend a supplier or know of anyone upgrading and selling a system.
Thanks
Shaun

jinky230

Re: backpack system
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:42:08 am »
shaun backpack £175

trolley pump,regulator.battery,trolley £220

backpack pump 35psi trickles out
trolley pump 100 psi can blast out

trolley with container on base
regulator and pump in case from peter fogwill or cleantech just hook on
mobile battery pack hook on  machine mart
bit of hose pole and brush you are up and running
pole from peter fogwill unger £80 for 30 footer
hose 20 metres £20

di vessel from cleantech reconditioned to convert water £100
container £4.50 cleantech

for this matercard

building your own system priceless
jinky

jouk45

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 01:30:21 am »
your a fast learner jinky you have sum it up in one lol ;D

jinky230

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:38:58 am »
thanks jouk not bad for an old man. where I come from you ned to be fast in the uptake- my name is a tribute to jimmy johnstone, so you know where i come from lol

jinky

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:56:56 am »
is a backpack viable for windows 3 storey high

Shaun

Shaun,

Yes.  I have used my backpack on lots of 3 story cleans; no problem.

have a look at Cleantechs site (www.cleantech.co.uk).  They're selling a complete DI back pack system and pole for £500.  It looks alright to me; though there's cheaper ways; such as E-Bay USA.

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:26:04 am »
See this post for Backpack costs including ALL items you will need for the system inc an RO unit

DC

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=20594.0#msg153822

danny mckim

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:02:17 pm »

Hi Jinky

its Danny from windowcare. can you tell me where i would get the trolley system stuff for £220.

jinky230

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:07:27 pm »
Danny nice to hear from you

cleantech pump regulator in box £230
trolley from cleantech £20
motormart power pack £30 17 amps will last about 5 hours
get a coachbuilder to build you a carrier holder for 2 containers
you now have a 50lt system
add pole with brush and some hose and you are up and running
best of luck let me know how you get on

jinky
ps make the carrier lwidth  ways  instead of one above the other keeps the weight to the bottom if you fit a reel at the top

danny mckim

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:07:08 pm »
Jinky
 My father in law is getting me a 1000 ltr tank which i hope to  get mounted onto the floor of my van. Im going to buy 2 of the poles from B&Q £25 each. Get brushes from gaz.il get hoses and things from local store.Do i only need a pump regulator and power pack now and do you think i will be able to do my work (new estates)  with this system

Danny

jinky230

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 09:05:39 pm »
Danny the tank is great for doing commercial work just pull out the hoses
and clean a line of windows no problem we do all our commercial by wfp

domestic now that is a delemma

you pull out hoses and they catch on parked cars wheely bins kids toys
and that is just getting pass the side now enter the backs and you are faced with garden furniture heaters etc for hoses to catch on to.
you spend more time making the hoses free from obsticles than any thing else.

so for domestic you need to get a system in place to cope

we use a trolley on the fronts, and a backpack on the backs , we only fill the backpacks half full to make it lighter to carry, a full backpack is a nightmare on your back all day

I am not entirely happy with the backpacks as the flow of water for rinsing drops drastically, but for avoiding obstacles it is first class.need to way up the pros and cons

you need at least a 18 foot pole but probably better with a thirty footer

and take sections of to work at 18 ft , you always get several windows in a street needing the extra length - where it being parked cars in the driveway or windows on garage roofs

domestic is a delemma and we have combined it sometimes with domestic for speed, letting the trolley take care of the front windows on roofs and catching the backs which are usually straight up and down with ladders

as I said it is really getting a system to suit you
you also need the sales letter on this site  to win customers over

after saying all this you are probably thinking I will just keep my ladder

maybe ladders are quicker sometimes , but wait till the winter kicks in and who wants to be jumping about roofs full of moss this is when wfp comes into it own

hope this helps danny

jinky

Tim Morton

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 09:55:04 pm »
Jinky
 My father in law is getting me a 1000 ltr tank which i hope to  get mounted onto the floor of my van.

Hi Danny, Just make sure that the 1000 ltr tank is baffled, half full it weighs 500kgs, now imagine that you brake or swerve abruptly, yes you now have half a ton swinging your van from side to side or front to back. Not only does it make you sea-sick but, more importantly, its VERY VERY DANGEROUS.

Oh, and make sure you  secure it well enough, you wouldnt want a ton of water heading toward you if you had to brake suddenly or even if you had a crash.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 10:47:51 pm »
Jinky
 My father in law is getting me a 1000 ltr tank which i hope to  get mounted onto the floor of my van.

Hi Danny, Just make sure that the 1000 ltr tank is baffled, half full it weighs 500kgs, now imagine that you brake or swerve abruptly, yes you now have half a ton swinging your van from side to side or front to back. Not only does it make you sea-sick but, more importantly, its VERY VERY DANGEROUS.

Oh, and make sure you  secure it well enough, you wouldnt want a ton of water heading toward you if you had to brake suddenly or even if you had a crash.

Tim

Very well said Tim. I couldn't agree with you more.

Andrew

JM123

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 02:08:41 am »
do yourself a favour and get a 900ltr low c.o.g tank from Gardiners and have it secured to the floor.  The IBC tanks are far too dangerous with a high centre of gravity, they are not designed for the job.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

jinky230

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 07:21:12 am »
danny the lads are right make sure that tank is well secured, if you do use it get a coachbuilder to make up straps to bolt to the floor, you can have mayor issues if its not , like insurance, safety etc

jinky