drew86

flojet versus shurflo
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:05:43 pm »
hi all going to order wfp system monday, can you all please help me decide on which system to purchase,it is really all down to the pump system ie: flojet on demand switch with flo control valve versus shurflo with varistream, your comments and experiences please. flojet set up works out cheaper but is it value for money do switches burn out.
It was this big.

JM123

Re: flojet versus shurflo
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 06:38:32 pm »
Anything I've ever heard about Flojet has been bad - never worked with them but have worked with and built many systems using both Aquatec and Shurflo, both are really good pumps - personally I'd go for the Shurflo with the Varistream.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

sair

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:30:40 pm »
dont like aquatec ,
flow jet no idea many seem to like them . i stick to sure flow with an....  eco flow!
Essentially Pure Ltd

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:34:33 pm »
This is my totally honest opinion.

I have no real experience with Flojet so I can't comment honestly on them. I have however supplied many varistreams to owners of Flojet pumps. The usual problem...  pressure switch burning out because of back-pressure in the line when using a "tap type" flow controller. I have also heard however of folks owning both types of pumps "getting away with it" for a year or two.

The varistream does more than protect the pump though. You will always get the flow you set at the varistream.. whether you are 10 or 100 metres away or/and 6 or 60 ft high. It senses the load required to give the flow rate selected and adjusts the pump speed accordingly. This means that the pump is only ever working at the minimum speed needed. You can still use an inline on/off valve for stopping flow. The great thing is that if you have stopped the flow when you open it again you will get exactly the same flow rate. This is difficult to achieve using a valve type flow control.

Another thing the Varistream does is cut down your battery drain very considerably.  Because the pump is only working as hard as it needs to in terms of speed you only drain an appropriate flow from the battery. We tested the 100 PSI 3.8 litre per min Shurflo  pump and at full belt which is what you will always use with an inline flow restrictor it was taking 7 amps.  At a flow rate of 1.5 ltr per min.. a good average flow rate.. it was only taking 1.9 amps.

So.. for me and my customers its always the tried and tested Shurflo and varistream.

Cheers

Andrew

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:10:09 pm »
Whilst everyone will have their favourites and to be honest all set-ups will work, it all comes down to longevity.

We have used Flojet's for 5 years with 'microbore' hose and flow control valves. I personally am still using my original 60psi flojet pump and have never had to replace the pressure switch on it. I also have a 4 year 100psi flojet pump working on the same set-up and have never had any problems, also I have a second 60psi flojet which I have had for 3 years and have never had any problems with.

In the last 3 years I have heard of many fellow window cleaners have 'worn' out shurflo pumpsand have since then switched to Flojets.

This in no way represents a scientific analysis of the two pumps and may be purely by chance that I have had the results I have had.

However I know which pumps I would want to supply a warranty on.

Varistreams seem a great idea, I personally have never needed one as I use microbore which controls my flow-rate very well.

These are only my opinions but I hope that they are of some use

Alex

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 10:47:31 pm »
I  agree with Alex , i have my original Flojet 60 psi , been using it for over 18 months , never missed a beat , im running it through 75 M of microbore and am getting superb pressure , i wont be using any other make .
I dont use varistream , i have a simple return to tank valve with adjustable pressure on it .

Rich   P @ F   
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

abacus

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:28:20 pm »
hi
Ive had both and had a lot of trouble with both however I got onto shurflo and the problem is the varients eg resistance created by the job hose fully out or half wound 50 mts of hose then 100 poles up high then poles down low restricting flow ect with taps the pumps like thing to be even the answer is the veristream from williamson pumps its soft start and comtol of the pump speed elliminates the problems not one conplaite since I fitted them to the vans and added benifit save water too.

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 11:31:51 pm »
I have a 60psi flojet in my omnitrolley and never had a problem with it.
Never used sureflow so can't comment on that

Paul

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 08:25:44 am »
Quote from alexg
Varistreams seem a great idea, I personally have never needed one as I use microbore which controls my flow-rate very well.

Question

I don't know the answer, and its not a dig, just an honest question,
but wouldn't useing microbore pipe, to control the flow, create a back pressure,on a pump that is already working at full pressure, problems of wearing out quiker?
No matter what pump you use.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 08:33:27 am »
Hi Jeff,

Good question, however we have been using this microbore set-up for well over 3 years (were we the first using microbore??) and have never had a single problem with them, several of our fellow workers have used a similair set-up for about the same time with no troubles either. I think if you have a decent pump it can cope fine.

Alex

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 08:42:56 am »
Thank you alex

I'm still Traditional at the moment, and I am changing over to wfp this year some time,

I don't want to lay out the price of a new pump, and set it up with no protection, only to find it breaking down in a few months tiime, so that was the reason for my question.

Thank you for your reply it was helpfull.

rugby

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 09:52:47 am »
i have used both and found the flojet to be the best pump by far,my 100psi flojet with varistream has been running now for over 14 months,no problems at all.would never go back to shurflow.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 10:05:07 am »
Have been using floppy single thin wall 4mm internal, 6mmOD micro for 8 years with the small 35psi flojets (previously used the 100psi)and a by pass system. I like the back up service that http://www.dualpumps.co.uk  give with the flojets. They have a great catalogue.

pjulk

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 12:40:27 pm »
Alex Said -
We have used Flojet's for 5 years with 'microbore' hose and flow control valves. I personally am still using my original 60psi flojet pump

Alex do use use microbore just on maintainence cleans with a 60 psi pump.
The reason i ask is i use it on maintainence cleans but not on first cleans as i find i don't get a high enough flow for new cleans.

Paul

Jack Avery

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 02:05:06 pm »
Hello Everybody

I`ve just built my own system. 40/40 RO 600 ltr tank in van 100mtr microbore and 2 60psi Flojets 1 for the tank in the van the other on the trolley I built.
Both pumps are doing what they say on the packet. A good regulated on demand flow of water.

Jack Avery

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 06:40:43 pm »
I use the microbore for everything first and regular cleans.
Alex

macc

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 09:34:16 pm »
Hi, im confused, you are getting hi teck for me. ive shurflo 100psi, Variestream & 6mm microbore. Is that a good combination or not?  ???

Macc

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 10:42:28 pm »
Hi, im confused, you are getting hi teck for me. ive shurflo 100psi, Variestream & 6mm microbore. Is that a good combination or not?  ???

Macc

Simple answer Macc.

YES... VERY GOOD  :)

Andrew

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 10:49:26 pm »
Alex and others what flow rates are you getting on your 100m microbore.

I am running a sureflo 100psi pump and 100metres microbore and am getting 1.5 litres on max setting,

At times this is not good enough, only the other day i had some heavily salt sprayed windows in direct sunshine and i could have done with a bigger flow rate, also these windows were the beading type where a bigger flow rate would of been more beneficial

Dave

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 08:46:34 am »
Dave

Have you recalibrated your Varistream? (I am assuming you have one)  You should be able to get much more flow than that.

Cheers

Andrew