lee_dewing

without Varistream
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:20 pm »
As title.

I have a pump box and the varistream controller is getting a bit temperamental.

If i removed varistream and added a very basic controller from ebay instead would pump be ok?

what i mean is basic controller is like a light dimmer switch for a better way to describe it and is what others have recommended on here.

My worry for pump is whether it will dead end; turn on off correctly when i pinch pole hose?

Has my ready made pumpbox, pump had pressure switch removed from it?
Pump is a shurflo pump.

sorry hope i have explained correctly; basically want to take £90 varistrean controller away and put in basic flow controller.
thanks lee.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Dave Willis

Re: without Varistream
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:40:12 am »
I think you'd need a bypass to reduce the pressure when you you shut the flow?

Window Lickers

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:31 am »
A lot of guys on here run their pumps without controllers.

Ive just made up a controller with parts from e-bay and Maplins. Very cheap in actual fact. The basic setup is just a 10amp switch wired in, with inline fuse of course. Then again you can also include a voltage regulator which controls the pump speed.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
As title.

If i removed varistream and added a very basic controller from ebay instead would pump be ok?

what i mean is basic controller is like a light dimmer switch for a better way to describe it and is what others have recommended on here.

My worry for pump is whether it will dead end; turn on off correctly when i pinch pole hose?

Has my ready made pumpbox, pump had pressure switch removed from it?
Pump is a shurflo pump.

sorry hope i have explained correctly; basically want to take £90 varistrean controller away and put in basic flow controller.
thanks lee.

You have to run the current through the pressure switch.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

advanced

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »
just buy another  varistream  tight wad

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:23:17 pm »

Ste b

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:37:32 pm »
A lot of guys on here run their pumps without controllers.

This, never used one, just a tap
The purpose of life is to have a life full of purpose

lee_dewing

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »
just buy another  varistream  tight wad
   ;D

Thanks for that link Ian.

Anyone know if the pressure switch would or wouldn't be still on my pump as said bought pumpbox all assembled from daqua.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:28 pm »
If you can see the pump:-  If the red (live) wire goes to one of the terminals in the black plastic bit at the end of the pump, then another red wire comes from the other terminal next to the first one and goes to the hole in the motor end of the pump then the switch is installed and in circuit.

If you can't see the pump, phone Doug ;D

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:15 am »
If you can see the pump:-  If the red (live) wire goes to one of the terminals in the black plastic bit at the end of the pump, then another red wire comes from the other terminal next to the first one and goes to the hole in the motor end of the pump then the switch is installed and in circuit.

What I'm find interesting is that we have had a post on Shurflo pressure switch adjustment within the last couple of weeks. Tosh put up a picture of a Shurflo pump with a red arrow pointing to the adjusting screw on the switch.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=191767.0

Do people not read these posts and see relevant information they can remember for a future date or what?

I'm not having a go at lee directly but I'm trying to understand how some fellow window cleaners see it. In other words, do they read these posts and not see anything relevant to their business equipment or what?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:23:03 am »
Ditched my controller years ago. Use a tap at the end of the reel hose clipped in a holster on my hip (good for flouncing ;D ) - never looked back.

Benefits:

Instant control for each window (e.g. patio doors full flow, Georgian sashes, glass panel in wooden front door - low flow.)

Polehose joint with reel hose is always off the ground - less wear for poles and connectors due to
dirty/gritty hose. (I also loop the pole hose round a hook on my belt for lower windows)

Easy to switch off water flow between windows.

Downside:

Might burn out switches - (£2 from maplins once a year for shurflo - not had one go on the flojets in two years.)

Other possible issue.

Takes more battery power? Or does it - waterflow switched off much of the time. My scrap 110 amp battery pumps a 650L tank dry in a day (I only use 350/400) and I recharge it at night with a smart charger. Tho Dan the Man who doesn't use a controller either has fitted a split relay to his van and never had to charge it again in two months of going it alone.

It's a game of three halves!

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 05:02:54 pm »
Thanks very much everyone!

Spruce thanks for that link.
Honestly didn't see that, use my phone alot now smaller screen

Should wear glasses  ;D

DG Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 07:42:30 pm »
Just ditch the controller a big day for me is 300 to 300 and I've never burnt a pressure swith out despite turning the flow off constantly between windows.
I've yet to come across a valid reason for having one.

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »

What I'm find interesting is that we have had a post on Shurflo pressure switch adjustment within the last couple of weeks. Tosh put up a picture of a Shurflo pump with a red arrow pointing to the adjusting screw on the switch.

Do people not read these posts and see relevant information they can remember for a future date or what?

I'm not having a go at lee directly but I'm trying to understand how some fellow window cleaners see it. In other words, do they read these posts and not see anything relevant to their business equipment or what?

I not having a go and I don't mean to sound rude but isn't the answer obvious?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:49:51 pm »
I've never used one, not 100% sure what they do and its just another thing to go wrong.

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 10:52:00 pm »

I not having a go and I don't mean to sound rude but isn't the answer obvious?

This was an honest question, and I wasn't having a go at Lee

For example, we continually get questions on here about windies who don't understand the symptoms and calibration of their controllers even although the same question gets asked over and over again. So I ask myself if the answer isn't being explained properly by us making the replies.

As many for you know, I was with the technical divison of Bosch Power Tools for many years in South Africa. One of the internal sales staff had a customer who sent in a sample of a part he wanted with the model of the machine it came from.

This internal sales person came over to my desk with the part required and a parts list (parts breakdown drawing with numbers and part numbers.) The part required was of an armature for this angle grinder, but the sales person couldn't recognise the drawing of the part on paper with the sample part to hand.

I had never experienced someone not being able to identify the picture of a part with the part to hand before. Had I experienced it before but not recognised it? This was genuine and it's something I have never forgotten. That person was unable to relate the printed from the actual part. It just wondered if the same applied with Lee as this thread was very recent.

His reply was that he hadn't seen it was good enough to answer the question I had asked.

Sorry if it came across differently.

Tom White

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 01:27:23 am »
We use these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6V-90V-Pulse-Width-Controller-Switch/dp/B00CWSO2IY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418926913&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+motor+speed+controller

Just wire them up as per marks on terminals - never have any problems with them.

Same as Ian (or very similar).  I get mine for £5 from ebay.  Got a two man system running with two of these; been going six months without a single problem.  I put an in-line switch (£2 from Wilkos) on both of mine too.

They're better than an electronic flow controller IMO.  Mine just messed me about.

These do what they're meant to do without any fuss.

And for a flipping fiver!

Frankybadboy

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 08:03:41 am »
had a two controller for well over 5years now and still do what they are meant to do.

if they aint working for you it cause you dont know what the fleck your doing

tosh says it all really

Tom White

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
So what's Lee doing wrong, Frankie?

Why not give him the benefit of your knowledge?  The same goes for the weekly posts that appear from members having trouble from theirs.

I don't need your knowledge because my five quid flow controllers work perfectly - no messing - no recalibration; they just do what they're meant to do - every time; no exceptions.

hth

lee_dewing

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »
Tosh.

Can I ask how your pump is wire to your battery and controller.

You have a shurflo pump a voltage regulator as displayed by Ian.

So red and black wire on pump as I have but you have the additional wire/wires on pressure switch how do these wire into your controller and battery?

Are you taking wire from pressure switch and joining to other say red wire at other end of pump then wire to controller?

Just trying to invision this, can't find anything on YouTube all in use with varistream.

My pump has no wiring on pressure switch but would like to setup as yours Tosh.

Thanks lee