dazmond

Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:18 am »
if you not happy with your earnings then simply put the price up.i really do think you should get a van and put a tank in it as well.you ll be more efficient and speed up a bit as well as less strain on the body in general.

as for your missus not liking you having a van.are you a man or a mouse?if she is worried about "image" then id dump her.she sounds like a snob to me.i went out with a woman like that once.she was a bit posh and always worried about what other people thought of her/us.needless to say i got rid.

shes being very unreasonable IMO.likes been said already your no spring chicken so you want to make your working day as easy and efficient as possible.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Londoner

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 09:12:00 am »
Hi Combat1

I'm the same age as you and I can't do 1 house with a back pack, so how you manage the number you do is beyond me. I find the weight of the packback seems to cut blood circulation to my arms and my head starts to go light and buzzy.

I would also advise a van mount as hose management is less energy zapping. I would probably try a sack truck to start with to put your backpack on.

Also remember we aren't as fit as we were 15 years ago.

Spruce

You don't need to put a backpack on your back, just the same as you don't need to lug the water round with you. As Spruce says let the hose do the work for you.

If a van's out of the question how about a trailer?

steven ainger

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 11:35:46 am »

the best way to increase your earnings is to get a van mount, and i cant understand why the missus has a problem with a van, when your driving an astra estate  ???

birdymiller

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 12:24:18 pm »
if you not happy with your earnings then simply put the price up.i really do think you should get a van and put a tank in it as well.you ll be more efficient and speed up a bit as well as less strain on the body in general.

as for your missus not liking you having a van.are you a man or a mouse?if she is worried about "image" then id dump her.she sounds like a snob to me.i went out with a woman like that once.she was a bit posh and always worried about what other people thought of her/us.needless to say i got rid.

shes being very unreasonable IMO.likes been said already your no spring chicken so you want to make your working day as easy and efficient as possible.

bit harsh daz lol, might have been married for 40 years

regards

dazmond

combat1

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 01:08:00 pm »
All points taken and thanks very much for all your help.
Dazmond you are of course right! however we have a 3yr old son and hes more important than the van and setup! mind you the van is quite important!
So as i said earlier we are starting to slip off window cleaning.
One thing is certain, come the rain or whatever i'm going to do £150 tomorrow!
just to round it off, and i've never made two pages before on a post, heres my tongue in cheek action plan.
1. Get rid of missus
2. Buy van and unit
3. Do whole house WFP
4. Put up prices
5. Get work nearer to home
6. Thank everyone on CIU

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 01:28:11 pm »
dont listern to all what some of these windys earn  on here.you have got this spot on mate. average out how long it takes you and if you can waterfed bottoms aswell. lead windows zip off with wp pole only.

P @ F

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »
Combat , heres a couple of pics of the combo i have , the van was £500 ready to drive and i think i gave £150 for the 350 upright , put this with your trolley and get your hose and reel and your away .
If you did a post last month i would have give you the lot for £500 and taken £100 a month off you , but against my better judjment im giving another bloke a go , having said that , hes turning out to be quite an asset so far , if it fails i will get in touch if it suits you .

Regards Rich

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

James Leet

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:16 pm »
100 -130 a day Is not that Bad.

This place is full of dreamer who ' say they earn 300 a day '

Tom White

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:27 pm »
£3 for a garage door?

They take seconds...

They only take seconds with a WFP - they take a lot longer with a big sponge - and last time I looked, I spent a fair bit of cash on van/tank/pump/hose/reel/pump/flow controller/IBC/transfer pump/leisure battery/battery charger/and ruddy poles/other stuff I can't remember.

I don't think the time it takes is just the issue here.

P @ F

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 11:52:57 pm »
Tosh , you forgot to mention all that time you spent trying to get H2O out of 2 brush heads at once  ;D
Fantastic vid mate , can we see it again  ;D ;D ;D

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Tom White

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 12:46:29 am »
Tosh , you forgot to mention all that time you spent trying to get H2O out of 2 brush heads at once  ;D
Fantastic vid mate , can we see it again  ;D ;D ;D

Rich

Yes, and the week pulling yer hair out trying to get it to work smoothly.

No, the vid is gone, mate!  ;D

Helen

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:23 am »
£3 for a garage door?

They take seconds...

They only take seconds with a WFP - they take a lot longer with a big sponge - and last time I looked, I spent a fair bit of cash on van/tank/pump/hose/reel/pump/flow controller/IBC/transfer pump/leisure battery/battery charger/and ruddy poles/other stuff I can't remember.

I don't think the time it takes is just the issue here.

At last, someone who "wants" to earn money for what they do, and remembers that he had to pay out to get the equipment to do so ;D ;D

Spruce

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »
Guys.

Combat is 60 years old. There is no way that he is as fit as he was 10 or 15 years ago. Its alright saying how many houses you do, but when you are young you have lots of stamina to get on with it. As you get older the work rates drops off during the latter part of the day. Give it all you have today and you pay the penalty tomorrow.
Sometimes us older ones need to pace ourselves, and unfortunately this impacts on our daily income. When I am tired time seems to fly by and I have little to show for it - it's a though I go into a coma standing up.

Dazmond has noticed a big difference with his van mount - he isn't as tried at the end of the day, as he is a bit younger than we are.

One has to be a bit careful when putting a tank in the back of an estate car. I don't know about the Astra, but when I worked for Citroen the payload of a Berlingo Multispace was about 450kgs if my memory serves me right, where the van was 600 and 800 depending on model.

I'm sure he would be able to put a 250 litre tank in the back of his Astra, maybe even 300 litres at a push. As some of his custom is a fair distance away, he can't just pop home to refill his tank. Is there a possibility of processing water (with permission) on site say using a 40/40 R/O during a break for lunch?

Next thing I would consider is an SLX pole, rigid and light which will also reduce fatigue later in the day.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

combat1

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »
well, did the 150! stated first house at 7.45 and finished 4.45 but dfid it.
I have to say hard day, bit of time taken to get a tube of savlon after getting impaled on rose bush at first house (rushing too much), detangling hose, and fetching sign from last house where i'd left it! fetching a bar of chocolate and two loo breaks.
Had eight 25 litre drums and used them all. one thing is certain I could do it easily with a van mount, we are going to have to have a serious talk.
Cheers everyone

Sean Dyer

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »
Even a small berlingo with a 300 litre tank you would easy knock out 150 a day depending on prices

Good luck mate

Spruce

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
well, did the 150! stated first house at 7.45 and finished 4.45 but dfid it.
I have to say hard day, bit of time taken to get a tube of savlon after getting impaled on rose bush at first house (rushing too much), detangling hose, and fetching sign from last house where i'd left it! fetching a bar of chocolate and two loo breaks.
Had eight 25 litre drums and used them all. one thing is certain I could do it easily with a van mount, we are going to have to have a serious talk.
Cheers everyone

Hi Combat
How have you done today after that effort yesterday?
Spruce

combat1

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:41 pm »
Hi Spruce, I thought you might ask that! felt bad last night until after the shower.
Truth is I bought a red bull and a bar of chocolate to keep going yesterday, and I think the reason was because I knew someone would ask me if i'd done the £150.
Today was better, did 155 and it seemed easier, could be a motivation thing.
How you doin, where abouts are you?

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
God I hope I'm not working at 60 :'(
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Spruce

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:42 pm »
Hi Spruce, I thought you might ask that! felt bad last night until after the shower.
Truth is I bought a red bull and a bar of chocolate to keep going yesterday, and I think the reason was because I knew someone would ask me if i'd done the £150.
Today was better, did 155 and it seemed easier, could be a motivation thing.
How you doin, where abouts are you?

Hi Combat.

As I said yesterday, I find that a drive one day knackers me the following day. I am in Saltburn in Cleveland, and we don't manage to achieve the 3 bedroom semi prices you guys manage down South. We mainly work out of Skelton and area where there is a fixed perception of what a window clean is worth. (A friend and fellow window cleaner has got rid of all his work in this area for the same reason). My health isn't good either, I have Prostate Cancer and a bad back so haven't the stamina like the young ones have. When I come home I need to chill out for work tomorrow, so tend to pace myself, like the tortoise of the Tortoise and the Hare story.

I have only ever achieved what you did once and prayed for rain the following day so I had a legitimate excuse for a day off.

Its also all well and good these youngsters telling us they have done this amount and you should be doing this, but everyone is different. We live next to the coast and need to spend more time on the windows, especially scrubbing and rinsing, because if we don't there is the likelyhood of streaks from the salt water spray. I do overdo the amount of time I spend on the windows, mainly out of concern of not doing a first class job. (I helped a mate with some of his customers inland last year and experienced a big difference in the amount of washing and rinsing he needed to do with his customers.)

Alex Gardiner once recommended the correct WFP process was to wash each window pane twice and rinse thoroughly, but most don't seem to bother, which may explain why they are so much quicker. But I think the real reason is that they have the stamina to continue working quickly, whereas I need to take a pause to 'catch my breath'.

I also think you will be quicker if you can also do the bottom windows WFP as well. I would phone Vauxhall's technical dept and ask them what payload your estate will carry. (They will probably ask for your chassis number as well as your reg no.) Once you have this you will be able to make an informed decision about fitting a permanent tank in this your current car. I also suggested that you check if you are able to process water on the MOD sites you work on. If so installing a 40/40 R/O could solve your water capacity issues. If everyone is on a water meter, then maybe a free clean to someone each month who will let you plug your R/O into the tap may be a fair trade - they will come out better off as it won't cost them £10.00 for 250 or 300 litres once a month.

Cheers

Spruce

Spruce

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »
God I hope I'm not working at 60 :'(

Hi mls.

In all honesty, I hope you aren't as well. Unfortunately, I have been in the UK for 18 years and so aren't entitled to a pension as I haven't worked here all my life. So I expect to work for as long as I can. I gave up a good job and pension at Robert Bosch South Africa for a better quality of life (minus crime and violence) over here. As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it.

I'm grateful for WFP as it has given me the opportunity to extend my working life, and I can do it in very low crime invironment.

Spruce