Phil Marlor

Pencil Line stain
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:17:43 pm »

Went  to a job today where a small child had drawn heavy Pencil lines on a 100% wool carpet.

Not somthing I have ever come across, anyone any ideas how to remove.

I tried  a couple of things but with no success.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

jasonb

Re: Pencil Line stain
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 11:22:27 pm »
This might sound like the most stupid answer in the World, but maybe a pencil eraser.....

lee_gundry

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:09:44 am »
prochems ultrapac renovate

Lee G
cumbria

Mark Betts

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 12:12:53 am »
Phil

Thought so, but would be careful with it on the carpet you described earlier.

Maybe acid rinse it after.

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

paulchambers

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 12:43:56 am »
If its a light coluoured tipex might work

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 04:31:28 am »
Phil,

I'm sure you know better than to rub it with anything, let alone a rubber.

Pencil 'lead' is graphite a hard form of carbon, so Lees' sugestion of A217 is what I would have recommended as the most the most efficient chemical to use. However I would first try with a micro-splitter, but contrary to normal proceedure, do not agitate but apply slightly more generuosly than usual. If available the micro-splitter of choice would be Eco Spotter, since the alcohol content will help lubricate the graphite granuals to aid removal.

Before proceeding explain to the customer that being  so hard, graphite is likely to have become incorporated into the fibre and may not be totally removeable. The reason for not agitating is to avoid driving in the granuals further.

If you do resort to A217 (U/pac) don't forget Marks advice re neutralising rinse.

John.

jasonb

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 04:35:44 am »
Phil,

I'm sure you know better than to rub it with anything, let alone a rubber.

Pencil 'lead' is graphite a hard form of carbon, so Lees' sugestion of A217 is what I would have recommended as the most the most efficient chemical to use. However I would first try with a micro-splitter, but contrary to normal proceedure, do not agitate but apply slightly more generuosly than usual. If available the micro-splitter of choice would be Eco Spotter, since the alcohol content will help lubricate the graphite granuals to aid removal.

Before proceeding explain to the customer that being  so hard, graphite is likely to have become incorporated into the fibre and may not be totally removeable. The reason for not agitating is to avoid driving in the granuals further.

If you do resort to A217 (U/pac) don't forget Marks advice re neutralising rinse.

John.

You don't really know what you're talking about do you?

Dynafoam

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 05:08:05 am »
You don't really know what you're talking about do you?

It is you does not know what I am talking about - don't make more of a fool of your self than you already have.

Last word.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 11:06:15 pm »

Thanks for your answers.

I am now off to Staples to get a Rubber!! :o

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 11:14:43 pm »
Phil

Also get the one which also dose ink.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

jasonb

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 02:59:04 am »

Thanks for your answers.

I am now off to Staples to get a Rubber!! :o

Phil

Actually after a quick google, my slightly jokey answer has seemed to have some founding in fact. Although not as an outright removal method, I have seen many references to an eraser being used as a primary method. Graphite is a slippery substance, and can be deminished by a high friction substance picking it up. Although you do need something to get rid of the left over stain. Apparently.

cleanmac

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 12:05:52 am »
The centre of a pencil is graphite,which is finely ground carbon,which is inert(doesn't react with acids or alkali)

If you have ever cleaned a facility ,where the liberal use of graphite lubricant is the order of the day,you will find that a chemical approach is quite ineffective.
Some type of physical process has to be employed,ie scarifying, sodablasting ,dryice,etc,to remove it.

Considering this I feel that Jason deserves some credit for thinking "outside the box"and posting some usefull information via a google search,whatever you may feel about his business ethics.

David