Neil Mc Anulty

Accidents can happen
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:35:52 pm »
..Whilst enjoying a day off on Tuesday I decided to indulge in some daytime T.V

I happened to come across a programme on BBC 1 called accidents do happen. It was about some families who had certain mishaps with floods and wind damage. The general idea was to follow these two families through the recovery process after their homes had been destroyed.

Anyway, they showed a professional fire and flood restoration technician and his process of trying to return the suite to its former glory. While I am sure this man is more qualified than myself I was baffled to see him spray a soloution on to the suite then continue by dipping his hand into another bucket of soloution and applying by hand. He had no gloves on.

Can someone enlighten me on this process as I feel it was against health and safety rules.

As for daytime T.V . I thank the Lord above I am fit to work ;D

Derek

Re: Accidents can happen
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 11:16:42 pm »
Hi

It is most certainly a bad practice and although he should be wearing PPE, providing he has had the relevant instruction and it has been documented that he has, it's his own responsibility.

When he has had a dose of Dermatitus he will wear gloves that's for sure

Derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 11:20:36 pm »
The phrase 'don't come running to me when your legs drop off' comes to mind.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 11:44:53 pm »
This is very close to my heart ppe one only has to look at any TV cleaning program and see the so called pro at work be contactors or local government employees defiantly splash and dash brigade, you would think being on any program they would cover this? I understand the pressure one is under from the production team; I’ve been there and told them where to get off, having names in light is good being criticised by peers is another thing!

With regards to spraying on then hand in bucket and rubbing in haven’t got the foggiest, what did he do after this?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 06:22:35 pm »
He then started to extract with the machine.

Neil

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 10:56:58 pm »
Never come across this type cleaning procedure before, did the technician have a uniform on? And did you see the name?

Although on BBC1 was the show British?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

eclipse

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 12:23:59 am »
Yes i saw that programe the other day

A guy had had a chip pan fire and the insurance company sent a "project manager" with at least 100 fires under his belt
now i got into carpet cleaning more when fire and flood work dried up (no pun intended) and insurance companys decided that it it down to cost not quality of the workmanship
i myself like most other restoration technicians have done well over 100 fire restoration jobs and the thing that made me laugh was that this project manager didnt even get hi hands dirty and when it showed him talking to the camera and 2 restoration technicians working behind him he said "well we are doing ok now that the CLEANERS are in >:( well i for one worked very hard to get my BDMA & IICRC qualifications and i find it an insult to be called a CLEANER when my job is fire and flood restoration it just goes to show that most loss adjusters dont really know anything about restoration
when are the insurance companys going to sit up and think well ok we got national coverage but the quality is not there and our customers deserve better than this
lets go back to using small independant firms as we did before
now is it just me thinking this or are ther others out there the same

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 01:44:48 am »
Lee

I can’t comment on what was said as I did not see the program, but I understand your frustration, being a qualified technician = cleaner.

Some insurance companies were in dire straits with there payouts to customers they had to rethink what better way than the franchise route negotiate a general price with the franchisor and the franchisee has to follow, only time will tell but at the end of the day cheap is good no matter what service you provide, example 100 restoration jobs 10 are dissatisfied with work performed extra cost £10k think 100 and well in formed customers, one can dream I could go on, but all should take note of  H&S.

I am nether condoning or condemning the insurance co action, but you have to admit some in the trade took the Mick.

Len

eclipse

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 02:25:46 am »
yes i agree there len but even though ins co have gone down the franchise route there are still some taking the mick but whether it is big companys or small companys you are always going to get a very small minority who try to cut corners and make an extra few quid these people should be exposed for what they are and what they do (britains worst carpet cleaner) would be a good one to watch (by the posts i have read on other threads i think we got one of em on this forum) :) but anyway im now self employed got a signwriten van machine all the chemicals i need i only been going 6 months and it is paying (went quiet when tennis and football was on) i am getting referals and i am loving every minute so enough of my moaning
ps anybody got a spare pump ;D