Zach

Polyprop carpet - slight soiling stain
« on: July 05, 2004, 04:44:47 pm »
Perhaps one of you can guide me to a solution for this little issue.

Picture a light dove blue polyprop carpet. Fairly heavy wear in traffic lanes - though its cleaned up well.
We are left with a bit of colour change (lighter) - due to the crushing and wear of the pile. Client fully understands and it was explained BEFORE cleaning was undertaken. Light is reflected differently in that area and it appears lighter.

Not that said client is concerned at all - even delighted at the final result, rather its me that would prefer to know for next time, but I am a bit puzzled by the apparent appearance of a very light soiling on the carpet. This is really only on the heaviest wear part. IE: The entrance from the kitchen (tiled floor) to the passage way (the carpet presently in the dock).

I have used various goodies thereon - as well as used some serious aggitation as well as dwell time etc.
Used a hot prespary even and immediately rinsed.

Point is, that it has the lightest of shadow left behind on the heavy wear area - and its soil coloured. Checked the backing of the carpet and the underlay. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Fortunately I explained proior to the clean that pile wear etc will possibly result in clean but slightly different appearance - otherwise I suspect I would have a client that is perhaps not as happy as she currently is.

How do I deal with this in future and what adventurous techniques or goodies can I try (at home of course) in order to obtain a better result in future. OR do I accept that the years may have had their effect on the carpet.

Thanking you in advance for your kind guidance.

Dennis

Re: Polyprop carpet - slight soiling stain
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 05:11:19 pm »
Any soil transfer to a towel? If so it probably is soil!  ;)

Look closely at the fibre tips, are they lighter/white? If so it's wear and tear.

As you say the difference in reflectance of the cut ends of upstanding unworn tufts is markedly different to the sides of the tufts seen flattened down and hey it is polyprop, what do you expect!  ;D

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of real and apparent soiling and the mechanisms of soil retention get a copy of Fundamentals of Carpet Maintenance by Eric M Brown. (Very good if you can't sleep  ;) ;D  )
http://www.cresta-books.co.uk/fundamentals.htm

Zach

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 06:21:08 pm »
Hi Dennis,

Tried the terry towel test - no transfer. I guess its just there to make to dream about it.

Mind, its the weirdest sort of 'stain' really. Very light and it really only becomes noticeable once I hit it with my digital camera.

Well, there we go. I clearly have far too much time on my hands in that I am bothering about this little issue. Then again, I kind of like the idea that I'm all bothered about it.

*note to self* Must get a real life at some point. ;D

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 06:48:24 pm »

Well, there we go. I clearly have far too much time on my hands in that I am bothering about this little issue. Then again, I kind of like the idea that I'm all bothered about it.

*note to self* Must get a real life at some point. ;D

Far from it, I still bother about trying to get jobs like that even better after 15 years. That's probably why I've got high blood pressure and no money!!!  ;D ;D
(Well high blood pressure anyway)  ;)

Neil Gott

Polyprop carpet - slight soiling stain
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:16:45 am »
Zach, sometimes in an area of wear the backing shows through or casts its hue upwards, thus giving the impression of dirt.  
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 06:41:27 pm »
Nice point made by our learned friend Neil,have just done a clean and had just the same problem directly in front of the sofa,carpet is clean as a new pin but that area still has a "shadowy" look to it.-John

Jim_Lynch

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:34:08 pm »
Sounds like "traffic lane gray"...

http://www.carpetinspector.com/traffic_lane_grays.htm

Jim
Jim Lynch
ChemDry Supreme
Brisbane,Queensland
AUSTRALIA