Neil Gott

Stainbusters Claim
« on: July 04, 2004, 06:36:52 pm »
I have read in Cleaning Matters that Stainbusters say that they can remove problem stains including coffee and red wine EASILY, and that upholstery is DEEP DRY cleaned. (My capital letters)

Does anybody know how?
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

Dynafoam

Re: Stainbusters Claim
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 07:04:50 pm »
Niel,

Coffee and red wine are not such great problems compared to tea and curry, and as to 'DEEP', this is a relative term, open to many interpretations.

This is, after all an advertisement, which frequently equates to: 'A fairy story told to promote trade'

John.

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 08:48:09 pm »
They make some bold statements on their website too

http://www.stainbusters.co.uk/domestic/guarantee.html

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 09:20:00 pm »
Steve,

Let's look at the guarantees:

1 Stainbusters guarantee that nobody can clean your carpets, curtains and upholstery cleaner

How is the customer to put this to the test? Have it cleaned again by someone else? if so SB can respond:

(a) A second clean can always improve slightly.
(b) If they had cleaned first it probably would not have been as clean as we left it.

2 Stainbusters guarantee that if your stain can be removed we will remove it. If we don't and somebody else subsequently does we will give you your money back.

Not a great gamble - have we not all followed someone else's attempts at stain removal, only to concude that prior attempts had set the stain?

3 Stainbusters guarantee not to soak, shrink or stretch your carpets and furnishings.

If they cause damage they are liable, with or without a guarantee.

4 Stainbusters guarantee that your carpets will be READY TO USE IN 1 HOUR after completion of the standard cleaning process

Again not an extravagant claim - They do not say the carpets will be dry - could you not claim that the carpets you clean are ready for use 10 seconds after cleaning? (wellies not provided  ;D) I note that they do not include suites in this claim (custies do not wear shoes on thier bums)

So you see that none of these claims are dishonest in advertising terms and they do not exceed anything which most carpet cleaners could offer.

Putting them in statement form as Stainbusters have will undoubtably impress  some potential customers - Is this not the basis of advertising? - to paint the prettiest of pictures?

I know if I had ever advertised I would have claimed all of this ........................and much more  :D

John.

SMP

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 09:20:55 pm »
Those guarantees aren't actually worth that much  - any of us should be able to match those - particularly if we were to only bonnet pad the carpet   ;)

Cheers
Steve Poole

Dennis

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 12:20:45 pm »

4 Stainbusters guarantee that your carpets will be READY TO USE IN 1 HOUR after completion of the standard cleaning process

Again not an extravagant claim - They do not say the carpets will be dry - could you not claim that the carpets you clean are ready for use 10 seconds after cleaning? (wellies not provided  ;D) I note that they do not include suites in this claim (custies do not wear shoes on thier bums)

Ironically it was Chem-Dry who reported Stainbusters to the Advertising Standards Authority who instructed them to put in the bit about Standard Cleaning Process

More info at http://www.asa.org.uk/adjudications/show_adjudication.asp?adjudication_id=32081&from_index=show_advertisers&dates_of_adjudications_id=all#

Main ASA site: http://www.asa.org.uk/index.asp

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 10:53:26 pm »
The person from Chem-Dry Northern & Southern Ltd must feel threatened to take this action

As John commented Is this not the basis of advertising? - to paint the prettiest of pictures?

We could all pick holes in any type of advertising, I wonder if the ASA have the remit on web pages as I intend to put Greater London and Kent’s favourite carpet cleaning Company I may put in Essex only need two more jobs in area to qualify ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 01:06:45 am »
. I may put in Essex only need two more jobs in area to qualify ;D

Len
[/quote]

Steady, Len lad, steady - Me & me mate Doug might might have to send the boys round  ;D

John.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 02:15:21 am »
John

You must be Essexs longest established Cleaning Company

Dynafoam

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 03:24:04 am »
Ian,

I don't know for sure but I think I am Britains longest established MOBILE carpet cleaner. (Registered with RBN February 1966)

Perhaps someone knows otherwise?**  I would be interested to know.

John.

** What say you young Derek ?

Derek

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 10:15:53 am »
John

You beat me by three years old son!  ;) (1969)

It's quite ironic that when they first emerged in the UK the Chem-Dry advertising attacked other cleaning methods....big time.

It is also ironic that many of the alleged 'new systems' over the years have always resorted to the extraction process in the end!

Cheers
Derek

Doug Holloway

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 10:58:57 am »
John,

I was still in short trousers then (1966) although I did start cleaning carpets at M&S's head office in 1971.

Cheers,

Doug

adl

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 06:09:37 pm »
Crikey you make me sound like a baby i wasnt born till 72 ;)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 08:46:01 pm »

Blimey Dave, the year you were born I joined the army, an old man (so they called me ) of 26. Thing is in my head Im still 26 (or thereabouts) and still run about like I dont know what. Its just when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I get a reminder and think, who the hell is that.  Dont worry youlle find out, all in good time, you sprog. ;D
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 10:34:24 pm »
John

Got a job in Romford this week :( to be fair I won’t count that one London suburb, hopefully got one in Chelmsford next week, if it comes off forget the boys the help I need are for men are you and Doug up for it, I promise I won’t add this one to the tally ;D

I was the chief bottle washer in short pants and in needed a stool for the sink for my parents catering co then :'( there attitude so you want money get out there and earn it, I may need re tufting that nothing to do with age it’s the wife Dave will experience this in time (Dave hope the wedding went well)

Len
Live long and prosper
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 10:36:57 pm »
Ah yes John, 1966, I remember it well.

I was in the 4th year at school. We had a camping holiday in Tal-Y-Bont, just at the end of the RAF runway. Jet Provost trainers and Meteors flying overhead. There was a football match going on somewhere and we had the seamans strike (caused the Isle of Man TT to be postponed until August). Can't remember an announcement on Blue Peter or in the Beano about some Dynafoam geezer starting up though ;)

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken

PS Was that you, John, scrubbing out Captain Pugwash's boat when a big wave came over, soaked everyone and left them choking in all that foam? That was another Half-a-Crown down the swanny then ;D
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 01:42:32 am »
I think they put that TT race that Kens always on about in the Isle of Man to keep it out of the bloody way of us 4 wheelers that usually get our wing mirrors smashed when stood still in traffic!

Shaun

Dynafoam

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 01:51:13 am »
Len,

Next Week? I book 6 weeks in advance, so you'll have to cope on your own  :D

Ken,

You remember my Pugwash job then? But half-a-crown ?

In '66 I was chargeing 3/6 a square yard (enough for 11/2 pints of bitter, or nearly a gallon of petrol).

John.

Derek

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 10:05:12 am »
John

A lot of the young whippersnappers will not know what you mean by 3/6d or square yards for that matter.

Pint of beer for 10d...just over 4p...fish and chips just over 3.5p

Those were also the days when we spoke 'proper' English...  pounds shillings and pence, pounds and ounces, feet and inches

Discipline in schools.... threat of and on occasions 'the cane'

Don't get me going......... :-[

Derek

As a moderator on this site I must repremand myself for deviating from the subject...ouch!

Len Gribble

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 12:22:17 am »
John its night work I pay well Mac D’s close at 11pm the meals are on me but if you prefer milky ways ;D

Derek I was the last boy in my school to get the cane Mr Brittan gave to me as a memento, I also have probably the last black board rubber which was used to get your attention, thrown a cross the room. Though were the days my friend song!

Derek you have me worried now...ouch!

Len ;D