Zach

Finally kicked off and did some carpets for gain.
« on: July 02, 2004, 09:43:52 pm »
At last, the talking and thinking is over and the doing has begun.
I finally kicked off this week on Wednesday with 2 large flats, one empty and one furnished. Thursday a nice size house and today a Lounge carpet which hadn't seen anything except dirty feet since installation about 15 years ago.

Must say, pretty good feeling to know that all the stuff is starting to pull together for me and I REALLY enjoyed getting those 4 jobs done. Thanks a heap for all the graet info here that has kept me reading until the wee hours of the morning.

Soon as I work out how to post a photo, I'll put up the one that I did today.

A Carpet Cleaner is born. Ok, maybe just a bit hysterical on my part but you get the idea.

Mike Halliday

Re: Finally kicked off and did some carpets for ga
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 01:03:26 am »
Well Done zach.

Welcome to this world of fast money and easy women ;)

or is it easy women & fast money ???

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 01:27:33 am »
Yep, the Jack Daniels slipping down easy, I meant to say

fast women & easy money ::)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 02:47:49 am »
Zach,

Enjoy the euphoria, that special pleasure that comes from feeling that you have done something really worthwhile ........and got paid for it too  ;)

Just always remember those moments of trepedation, those 'am I doing this right?' moments, no matter how many carpets/suites you have cleaned.

These memories are our best defense against the unexpected occurances that catch the unwary wrong-footed.

Clean long and prosper.

John.

PS. Just a large one for me thanks, Mike

Derek

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 09:52:54 am »
Zach

Certainly it is an exciting time for you... you will be doing everything right. Checking, double checking going by the book throughout the cleaning operation.

Just watch out for the little bad habits that will inevitably creep in over time.

Good luck
Derek

paulchambers

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 05:05:57 pm »
Zach

Well done

i could do with some of your luck

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 11:40:06 pm »
Watch you Essex boy’s new boy on the block!

Any way best of luck Zach

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 11:58:41 pm »
It's a big county Lenie  boy, loads of room for us all  ;)

What part of Essex, Zach?

John.

Shorty

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 01:40:31 am »
Congratulations on taking that first step Zach.

The track gets easier now.

One thing I like to do, whenever I feel real smug with myself, and that I'm about the best dam(n) cc'er that ever walked this earth, is get another good cc'er to go out with me for a day.

He can pick up any niggly little things that I may have unknowingly slipped into.

Next day I go with him for the same reason.

We both learn from our mistakes.

All the best for the future.

Cheers,

Shorty.
Shorty.

The short, round, mound of sound, from up top, down under.

Zach

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 04:54:36 pm »
Thanks for all the well wishing etc.
Feel a bit foolish now. What with having put up my little message of self congratulations etc. Anyway, nice to know you guys are so supportive.

John, I'm in Romford. I realise that its part of 'greater' London, but try telling anyone living here that its not Essex.

Dynafoam

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 05:08:25 pm »
Zach,

I work in Romford, Collier Row, and Havering-atte-Bower occasionally - perhaps you may wish to observe how an old codger goes about rug-sucking next time I visit the area?

One word of caution: It was in Oldchurch Hospital carpark that I left my van for 19 minutes a few years ago. It was stolen and found (burnt out) just outside Harold Hill, 90 minutes later. The police commented "If you park a van in Romford, you should expect to have it stolen"

Apparently 5-7 vans per day are stolen for thier contents in that police division - so take great care.

Best wishes for your enterprise,

John.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 07:16:00 pm »
Hi Zach,

I'm in Leigh on Sea near Southend and also sometimes come up to your part of the world.

If you need any help my mobile is 07860 602570.

Cheers,

Doug
p.s
I used to work in Harold Hill as a quality/technical manager near Gallows corner.

Zach

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 10:50:56 pm »
John,

Would be honoured to work alongside an old codger when you are next out here. Regarding the vans and their attractiveness to some. Yes, I agree that the area is not very friendly at times - especially during school holidays when the clans of bored kids wonder about the place looking for amusement.
I'm fairly happy with the little close that I live in though. A couple of the guys have added infra red lights to the outside as they too have vans. We also have several curtain twitchers which is quite helpful at times.
I am getting myself a variety of bright yellow locks for the van. The steering wheel, possibly a wheel lock etc.
That way the lads may have a look in but decide to trash someone elses vehicle. Of course the tough part is knowing that the van is covered, but the equipment isn't. I bring everything (electrical) inside every day. Mind you, its only been a couple of days so I haven't gotten tired f the same thing at the end of everyday yet.

Doug,

Thanks for your kind offer. I will make sure that I keep your details to hand for when I need them.
Gallows Corner ;) I'm amazed that we don't get more accidents on that roundabout.

cheryl new

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 02:01:11 pm »
Zach, well done.  I can honestly say that I got butterflies when I read your post because I hope to be in the same position by the end of October this year.

I'll be attending both the prochem and ncca courses in September and hopefully be up and running shortly thereafter.  As a favour though, can you tell me and I'm sure others would be interested, did you attend training courses and how did you find them, how you decided upon the machine you've bought and what advertising method you initially employed.

Personally, I have my business plan in my head, but there is always that doubt, what if there is a better way!

Many thanks and again, well done, it must feel wonderful to be working for no. 1.

Best regards
Cheryl

Derek

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 08:52:11 pm »
Cheryl

I must tell you a funny story ...it was a good few years ago.
There was working in Leicestershire a lady carpet cleaner (same surname as yourself) who I happened to be chatting to at one of the NCCA branch meetings.
I asked her how she managed moving her portable machine around... "very rarely have to do it", was her reply..." There is usually a man around who offers to carry it in and out for me"!

Maybe I should wear a skirt..... don't answer that!

Good luck with your new  venture......

Cheers
Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 11:00:07 pm »
Derek

I thought you were into shorts, but another cross dresser won’t go amiss here. Lucky for me I’m into naked cc so no competition as most of my clients are woman ;D ;D

Cheryl I also wish you all the best in you new venture, have you already acquired a machine?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

cheryl new

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 11:22:41 pm »
Good evening guys.

I've looked at various models on the internet to get an idea of specifications, prices etc., but not put my money where my mouth is yet.  I thought it might be best to attend the courses first in order to get more insight into what is actually required for domestic property cc and upholstery cleaning - it would be typical of me to go and buy the most expensive machine that weighs a ton and was specifically designed for commercial jobs.  You know us women, oooh, it's expensive, it must be good. ::)  To be sure, when the time comes, I'll be on here every five minutes asking 'is this a good machine to buy and will my bum look big heaving it out of the van'.

Thanks for the well wishes, it's uplifting as is Zach's start up success.

Interesting thought on naked cleaning, I take it the leafleting didn't work ;)

Best regards
Cheryl

Zach

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 12:26:06 am »
Hi Cheryl,

Yes, I attened courses. The most important one was the NCCA 2 day course. Reason for that is after all the various supplier courses I finally got some objective imput that wasn't geared to a specific machine etc. Can't blame the suppliers as it makes sense to present courses using what you sell - I just found the NCCA to be better in that regard. You are doing the right thing by going.

With regards your business plan - may I suggest you get it out of your head and commit it to paper. That way you get to go over it more objectively and ammend accordingly.

I have also spend some time chatting to 'old hands' - as in people that have been involved in the industry for a while - even 20 years. The NCCA weekend was invaluable for meeting these people and getting more rounded views about the industry in general from a practical perspective. Though I might add that I did tend to switch off if someone became overly negative about his business.

With regards machines and equipment. This may upset others, but I arrived at the conclusion that a machine is a machine is a machine. No matter what power or ability the equipment has, if the operator can't use it to its fullest it would be like driving an F40 down the M25 in the slowlane - stuck in second.
I finally equiped myself with a CFR 400 Pro - liked the difference that it has when compared to other machines. Possibly just a personal choice. I also have my beady eye on some other equipment, but that will have to wait a bit for cash flow to catch up.

As for marketing. I don't believe in the single silver bullet approach. Having run another own business for some years now I prefer to use a multifaceted approach and focus on what makes me unique. That's the beauty of a service type business. People buy what you sell them - the perception of what they are to receive - rather than an actual product or result. They buy again on the result of the first experience.

I'm sure that we will soon read about your exploits on these boards. September is just around the corner. Go for it.

Len Gribble

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 12:42:34 am »
Cheryl

Your be surprised how they do work, wife getting a bit peeved as she don’t see much of me always in bed when I get home.

Learn how to clean carpets/upholstery first i.e. NCCA that way you will save money and you will make a judgement decision on what machine, most manufactures throw in training for free (so why pay for it) when buying there machines. Take the long time view keep your money in your pocket till you need to spend it wisely.

Len
Live long and prosper

Derek

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2004, 09:45:02 am »
Cheryl /Zach

Don't forget the Carpet and Upholstery TRADE EXHIBITION in London later this year

CARPEX 2004
October 8th /9th
ExCel Exhibition Centre
Docklands
London

See: www.carpex.co.uk

All the trade suppliers will be there PLUS there are twenty seminars running over the two days...

ALL FREE (Entrance 'and' seminars....you will have to pre-register though)

Cheers
Derek

Len....sorry to disappoint you mate...but 'our Ken' has already done the naked carpet cleaner bit... he's got the photo's  ;D